Best .45 ACP round for black bear protection

fourfive8

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
A junior Bidet trooper breakdown caught on camera! "Stop breaking my kayak!" Lord help us. Spray works but you have to hit them in the face!!! Which means you have to know the range limits.
:):)

calling4life

AH senior member
Reaction score
You can't expect that woman, child, or however it identifies to understand anything relating to reality, that's pretty clear by the hysterics and actions in that video.

She better get back to NY and her $3k/month 600 sq. ft. apartment. Lucky the whimpering doesn't get her killed, she's sounding a lot like prey, then again a guy can only stand so much of that before he goes and eats a kayak hoping it'll finally end his misery.

F. Vaccaro

AH member
Reaction score
All the bear hunters around here swear by HP rounds. There are a lot of bear baiters and hounders and they use mostly 44 mag. When they have to use a sidearm, a big, heavy slow moving round works the best on black bears.
There is considerable difference between hunting & defense.
In hunting you pick your shots. Place one through the lungs/heart & bingo get set for hero pictures.
Be attacked by a bear, you need to stop the attack NOW! You do this by taking out the brain or breaking him down.
You need all the penitration you can get!
I'll stick with a wide, flat point bullet. Everyone is free to make their own choice.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
You can't expect that woman, child, or however it identifies to understand anything relating to reality, that's pretty clear by the hysterics and actions in that video.

She better get back to NY and her $3k/month 600 sq. ft. apartment. Lucky the whimpering doesn't get her killed, she's sounding a lot like prey, then again a guy can only stand so much of that before he goes and eats a kayak hoping it'll finally end his misery.

lol!

fsrmg1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
Hunted
AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
For factory loads, I'd use either the Buffalo Bore or Underwood 250 gr .45 ACP +P round. Both will give you the claimed velocity, but Underwood seem to be a tad hotter and will give you close to 1000 fps in a 5" barrel. Either should be fine for black bear.

Reactions: BWH

buffybr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association
Hunted
USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT,Saskatchewan,Quebec), Zimbabwe(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape), New Zealand, Mozambique, Azerbaijan
Years ago I killed this black bear with one 220 grain hard cast bullet from my 1911...
3BF162D3-6802-4AA3-8CEC-98E1DA49F864.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minhtuanland

Latest profile posts

Rick HOlbert wrote on NTH's profile.
NTH, Just found your message. I hunt with Eland Pro Safaris in Namibia. Wide selection of game and great folks. Hell my PH and his family ARE adopted family, LOL! I book people to hunt with them and should you be interested I'd be happy to meet and discuss a trip. Anyway all the best to you and give me a shout sometime. Bye for now.
NTH wrote on Rick HOlbert's profile.
Nice “meeting” you Rick. I made my first trip to S. Africa this year through Kuche Safaris. We had an incredible time. What outfitter do you use? Neal
LIFE-FORM TAXIDERMY World Leader In Superior Taxidermy Since 1981

taxidermy-south-africa.jpg
Global Rescue - Worldwide Emergency Evacuation & Field Rescue, Anytime Anywhere

global-rescue.jpg
Special 10% Off On Taxidermy For AfricaHunting Members 2021

taxidermy-in-texas.jpg