Best .375 H&H bullet weight? And Best bullet in that weight?

shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Gents, with my new M70 Safari Express .375 H&H setup, I'm looking to dial it in with a single handload. I like the idea of a fast Barnes 250 grain TTSX and I'm sure it would do about anything that needs doing. But I also like the .375/300 grain combo, with the sectional density that comes with it. In 300 grain, I know if the TSX, A-Frame, and Partition, as far as "premium" bullets are concerned.

Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

I am very fond of 2 bullets :

swift A frame
Barnes TSX or TTSX

I personally like a 270 or 300gr bullet in the 375.
Current favourites are 270gr a-frame and tsx.

And in the 300gr the a-frame or northfork or even a Norma oryx.

250-270gr for PG. 250 will generally be faster than the 270 by enough to overcome the lesser BC. But not always. Using a chrono here to decide is very useful.

300gr for PG at closer distances and for DG.

Which bullet? Whichever of the high weight retaining bullets that shoots the most accurately in your rifle. For my M70, the best choice in the lighter weight bullets was the North Fork. In the 300gr, it's a dead heat between the A-Frame and North Fork. TSX/TTSX are every bit as accurate but as mentioned previously, they like to drop copper in my barrel.

For factory ammo, I don't think you can beat the Remington Safari Grade 375 H&H ammunition loaded with 300g Swift A-Frames. The 300g A-Frame is a great bullet in my opinion.

Which bullet? Whichever of the high weight retaining bullets that shoots the most accurately in your rifle. .....................

Agree with Phil.

I'm using the 250 grain TTSX.
I'm not done with all my development yet, but I'm satisfied for now.

So if you want to have some fun... Every bullet has an "optimum twist rate". To find that "optimum twist" take the bullet dia times bullet dia times 150 and divide by bullet length. The result will be the optimum twist rate for that bullet in inches. (dia x dia x 150 divided by length=twist). Once you do that math, then compare the outcome to the twist rate of your rifle. And then see how that bullet shoots in your gun. Obviously there are many other factors that can effect accuracy but this is a good place to start. And only as a place to start since it has nothing to do with bullet composition or other factors that you may be looking for in a bullet. Happy Shooting :W Gun:

Good stuff guys! Thanks much for taking the time to respond.

On plainsgame I have tried 250gr trophy bonded, 270gr rem. core-locked, 260gr nosler accubond and 235gr barnes X.

The two latter are by far the best, that said the standard 270gr rem. does a good job also, I am positively surprised by this old bullet.....so is there really a need for premium bullet on plains game..??

I would use premium bullets on big animals like eland but after shooting some 12 oryx and 10 blue wildebeest they seem to go down with conventional bullets as well...just my 2 cents..

On plainsgame I have tried 250gr trophy bonded, 270gr rem. core-locked, 260gr nosler accubond and 235gr barnes X.

The two latter are by far the best, that said the standard 270gr rem. does a good job also, I am positively surprised by this old bullet.....so is there really a need for premium bullet on plains game..??

I would use premium bullets on big animals like eland but after shooting some 12 oryx and 10 blue wildebeest they seem to go down with conventional bullets as well...just my 2 cents..

stick to premium bullets , develop a load that works the best in your rifle,that way your rifle is always set up correctly and ready for your hunt.

Saving cents and risking not using premium bullets is foolish IMHO , loosing an animal in the bush because of cheaper bullets is irresponsible , once again IMHO.

just my 2cents

So if you want to have some fun... Every bullet has an "optimum twist rate". To find that "optimum twist" take the bullet dia times bullet dia times 150 and divide by bullet length. The result will be the optimum twist rate for that bullet in inches. (dia x dia x 150 divided by length=twist). Once you do that math, then compare the outcome to the twist rate of your rifle. And then see how that bullet shoots in your gun. Obviously there are many other factors that can effect accuracy but this is a good place to start. And only as a place to start since it has nothing to do with bullet composition or other factors that you may be looking for in a bullet. Happy Shooting :W Gun:

I had never heard of the optimum twist rate formula...but it does sound interesting....Do you have anymore info on where it came from?

So if you do the calculation and the optimum twist rate comes out somewhere around 1:9 and you have a twist rate in the rifle of choice of 1:12, I would take that to mean this bullet will likely not stabilize very well. The rifle just isn't spinning the bullet quick enough.

Going the opposite direction, can a bullet be spun too quickly?

The 350g Woodleigh Protected Points stabilize fine in our 1 in 12" twist 375 H&H, but I prefer the 300g A-Frames :)

Thanks! Never too late to learn. I found a calculator online that uses the formula (I built a quick spreadsheet but this is so much easier to use). Results are kind of startling. It seems like we tend to "overtwist" our bullets.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

stick to premium bullets , develop a load that works the best in your rifle,that way your rifle is always set up correctly and ready for your hunt.

Saving cents and risking not using premium bullets is foolish IMHO , loosing an animal in the bush because of cheaper bullets is irresponsible , once again IMHO.

just my 2cents

Well, my point is that "cheap" bullets not neccesarily makes you loose an animal...some of them actually have adequate performance on PG..

On DG it is of course premium bullets all the way..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.