Best .300 win mag rifle?

I accidentally ended up with a very nice rifle i had never heard of. A Zastava model 70 Mauser. Mine is in 300 win mag. They run under 700$ very reasonable for the quality and fit and finish and a control round feed Mauser action. There made in the former Yugoslavia and I've was completely surprised by the quality and accuracy of this rifle. Would leave you $ for a better optics. I'll dig mine out and post pics

Previously they have been imported to the states under brand "Interarms mark X", and "Charles Daly".
It is general consensus that the rifles made by zastava for export are of better quality, then the ones distributed locally in former Yugo countries.
Also the ones made before 90-ies, were of higher quality, when compared to newer ones. The same goes for previously mentioned brands.

On some series they are marked with 4 digit number on the side of the receiver. The 4 digit number is marking the month and year of production.

The action on zastava is slightly shorter then original german m98 action.

Zastava had also good hystory with remington.
Remingon model 798 was barreled action made by zastava, imported and stocked by Remington, and this goes back in hystory.
It is claimed by some that the rifle used by Robert de Niro in movie deer hunter (remingotn 700) was made by zastava, at least barreled action. I cannot say, but they are advertising it.

I tend to shy away from comparative terms such as "best" and prefer descriptions based on the merits of the particular item. That said, I got a Sako 85S in 7mm08 a year or two back and I am really impressed with it. the action and barrel are all stainless steel and the stock is laminated and very water resistant. the S stands for Short (action). They make a 300 Win Mage but I'm not sure which letter would be part of the model number. But if your 300 Win Mag Sako 85 is anything like my 7-08 85S, I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the results.

What would you guys pick out of the two, sako a7 or Winchester m70 extreme weather ss? I want to give Winchester a chance as well, not sure how they shoot.

If you google sako a7 v Winchester 70 you'll get several hits.. a couple of the top hits are discussions on other boards about the merits of each rifle when compared to each other..

what it really comes down to I think is preference.. both rifles are known to be well made, shoot well, etc..

I personally like CRF, a 3 position safety, etc..etc.. and am generally a Winchester guy (I have a few model 70's already in the safe.. and no sako... so the decision would be pretty easy for me..)..

But.. for every guy that loves the model 70 like I do.. there is a guy out there that loves sako rifles and swears by them...

No matter which rifle you chose, I am sure you'll be happy... both rifles have great hunting tradition behind them for a reason..

My Tikka T3 SS Lite in 300 WM worked on plains game well and is accurate, but three shots are my test because I've never needed 3.
You can make almost any gun shoot well enough for a 300 yd shot with minor twerking.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to shoot both, sort of a side by side comparison? reason I ask: we had a SAKO A7 in the shop - 300 WinMag. Big Fella probably 6'3" and 280 - 300 lbs bought it, Brought it back to trade a month later, said it kicked too hard for him. SAKO A7s are light.
Again, I am a SAKO nut (I like the older ones...)

I'm 5'7" 155 lbs. my Tikka T3 Lite I put a Limbsaver on it and it made a noticable difference in the recoil. My 300WM loaded and scoped is 7 1/4lbs. My 230 lb bud (who loves his 14 lb Ruger 416 Rigby) whines that it hurts him, but I'm fine with it. Maybe I just get pushed around by the recoil and don't absorb it at my size?

I'm 6'0", 205, recoil does not USUALLY bother me too much (Gunsmith so I shoot A LOT!!) My 300 is in a McMillan Fiberglass (I swear it absorbs recoil) and has a brake (keeps me on target) Same set up as my 375 H&H.
It was rather funny when the "big ol' boy" brought back that 300!! Of course, I've heard the same from people about the 270, '06, and 7 mag.

Is it possible to shoot both, sort of a side by side comparison? reason I ask: we had a SAKO A7 in the shop - 300 WinMag. Big Fella probably 6'3" and 280 - 300 lbs bought it, Brought it back to trade a month later, said it kicked too hard for him. SAKO A7s are light.
Again, I am a SAKO nut (I like the older ones...)

put some steel bases, heavy steel rings, add a slipon limbsaver over the factory pad. If that isn't enough then weight the stock or just go with a good brake

put some steel bases, heavy steel rings, add a slipon limbsaver over the factory pad. If that isn't enough then weight the stock or just go with a good brake

Problem is: People want a LIGHT 300 mag that doesn't kick too bad, Adding weight takes the "light" out of the equation!! I prefer and recommend "balanced" rather than "light" and a straight stock, and get off the bench!!
Slip on pad, absolutely, and a brake, which you can take off and re-zero in no time, if desired.

What would you guys pick out of the two, sako a7 or Winchester m70 extreme weather ss? I want to give Winchester a chance as well, not sure how they shoot.

I handled 2 brand new FN Model 70 featherweights last year and both safeties were completely unacceptable and enough to be a deal killer. Felt gritty like sand and no clicks, only mush. Sorry, but I'm not buying that and crossing my fingers it works its way out. Total junk in my opinion, pretty junk...but still junk. YMMV

Problem is: People want a LIGHT 300 mag that doesn't kick too bad, Adding weight takes the "light" out of the equation!! I prefer and recommend "balanced" rather than "light" and a straight stock, and get off the bench!!
Slip on pad, absolutely, and a brake, which you can take off and re-zero in no time, if desired.

yup there is no free lunch. you want light you get kick. straight stocks are a must and while I despise brakes they are a necessary evil for me because I hate recoil more

Ha I just got to handle a browning xbolt. Love the feeling, solid, smooth bolt action. It seems very accurate just as my a bolt. Love the Brownings. Think I might go with that

Ha I just got to handle a browning xbolt. Love the feeling, solid, smooth bolt action. It seems very accurate just as my a bolt. Love the Brownings. Think I might go with that
The only thing I don't like about the brownings is there made in Japan. I know I know Japanese quality can be very good but still. I'll pass.

You can make almost any gun shoot well enough for a 300 yd shot with minor twerking.

I dunno... I can never seem to get any more accuracy out of my rifles.. no matter how much twerking I do..

:LOL:

Principal%20Skinner%20Twerk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody, really. I think I've settled on the sako a7 in .300 win mag. Let's hope it will shoot straight if I do my part!

I really don't see how you can make a choice based on others recommendations. The rifle is for you. You need to handle the ones you are considering and decide which one feels the best. Other things to consider are safety location and type(two position vs three), DBM vs hinged floor plate and push feed vs CRF. Sako advertises its actions as being CRF but they aren't true CRF according to many experts. I have looked at them and they don't look CRF to me.

One of the posters mentioned Zastava. I too think they are a great bang for the buck, especially if you want CRF. Not suggesting you buy one, just saying I like them. He also made a comment to the effect of Japanese firearms being suspect. Baloney. Miroku makes very good quality firearms and in their price range you can't beat a Howa.

Sako advertises its actions as being CRF but they aren't true CRF according to many experts. I have looked at them and they don't look CRF to me.

One of the posters mentioned Zastava. I too think they are a great bang for the buck, especially if you want CRF.

Sako 85, CRF, true or not?
I had the same dilemma until i tried.

In true CRF, the general consensus is that when you feed the round in the chamber from the mag, and when round is chambered, the bolt does not need to be locked, in order to extract the same round.
However, the bolt should go horizontally all the way forward and then back. (movement required 2: forwad - backward)

Push feed, in addition to this needs the bolt to be locked down, in order the round or casing to be extracted. It will need addtional hand movement, which is waste of time in some situations. (movement reqired 4: forward - down - up - backward))

CRF is also usually percepted as a bolt with long extractor claw, Mauser type.

For such mauser type CRF, in order to feed the rifle directly from hand, the round must be positioned inside the mag, otherwise pushing bolt directly, may create a damage to long extractor by forced locking in push-lock manner.

Where does that leave us with Sako (85)?
Hmmm,
Yes, indeed, when the round is fed from mag to chamber, in order to to extract the round, the bolt does not need to be locked down, as opposed to standard push feed. Here, sako 85 complies with this requirement, despite having a short, small strange looking extractor claw. For which, before I tried i was certain it is push feed type.

Mauser - long extractor, if that is definition of CFR - Sako (85) - does not have. Here, Sako (85), does not comply.

Is it real CFR?
Well, probably it is.

Is it better, or safer then classic mauser?

On mauser 98 bolt there is safety rear locking lug, plus two front locking lugs, and 90 degrees throw.
The story behind rear third locking lug is that when paul mauser was testing some of the early semi automatic rifle designes, this resulted in accident, and he lost the eye in severe injury.
So after that, absolute focus by P. Mauser in forthcoming designs was absolute safety of the user in rifle handling.
This resulted in m98 bolt, and the third rear locking, lug (as opposed to m96 designe for example)

On sako 85 - there is no safety rear locking lug, but is fitted with three front locking lugs, which make 60 degree bolt operation.

My vote goes to mauser 98 type, to me it looks safer.
90 or 60 degree bolt throw, doesn't mean much to me.

Problem with Mauser is that apparently, mauser 98 type of bolt is more expansive in production, allegedly modern CNC machines can not make all m98 bolt parts, and it takes more man working hours to produce, making higher production costs due to labor.

Sako, obviously made this design, a compromise to have advertised CRF - but without long extractor, which I consider a shortcut in production, as the rifle goes to high end bolt actions on the market.

Zastava? Many virtues, some faults, occasionally.
Some new m70, often do not have free floating barrel. Due to lower quality fit and finish. Who gets out-of-box free float barrel, is lucky one.
I've also seen misaligned drilled scope base holes, on some. And there fore, misaligned scopes as well.
Some new ones need some bolt polishing.

But undoubtedly - CRF, mauser 98 style, 100%

Really, mauser m98 action is the point where zastava really shines. Possibly the cheapest m98 type hunting rifles on the market.
All above mentioned minor issues can easily be sorted out with local gunsmith, or DIY by skilled user.
And Timney trigger to be added.

Then, zastava will really-really shine!
On the other hand, taking Sako 85, out of the box, there is nothing else to be adjusted, polished, replaced... Fit and finish at its maximum.

I said Japanese guns are high quality. I don't see were I said they were suspect?. I just don't like them for sentimental / political reasons. And shame on you Dragan for seeking open source intelligence for recommendations and a global collective knowledge on different calibers and different brands there's nothing you can learn from anyone hear anyway.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg