Best .223 bullet for African small game?

I killed a large beaver with a 17HMR body shot. They are highly effective
Lol, good to know. I have brought down a few large beavers with just some smooth talk! Lol
Actually had a huge beaver in Alaska soak up three hydra shocks out of my 44! Toughest basturd I ever met!
Cheers,
Cody

17 Fireball, 30KG bullet, monkeys to springboks to warthogs, DRT.(y):p:D

Don't know if you can find them in factory loads but I like the 60gr Partitions. On thin skin animals some expansion bit not explosive like the varmint bullets. I think most any of the bullets mentioned will give similar results.
Hey Cody, Them Alaskan beavers must have thick skin and fur!!

If your rifle doesn’t like the 70-75gr stuff, the 62gr federal trophy bonded bear claw factory loads are extremely good IMO and will feed and shoot straight in just about any rifle you put them in...

Lol, good to know. I have brought down a few large beavers with just some smooth talk! Lol
Actually had a huge beaver in Alaska soak up three hydra shocks out of my 44! Toughest basturd I ever met!
Cheers,
Cody

Mine was about 50lbs nailed him right between the shoulder blades. DRT. They are really tough and worse come out in the evenings when the mosquitos and black flies are at their worst

Double check your twist rate. I think the American has a twist of 1:8" which should stabilize either of those bullets. Another option is take a look at the Federal offering with the 62 gr. Trophy Bonded Tip. They are bonded pretty similar (think weight retention) as the Swift and only a fraction of the cost. Not really sure you can get a solid (other than FMJ) in a .223.

Another option would be if the outfitter has a .22 rimfire you could use.
Yes it is 1:8 twist. You are right the only solid is a FMJ but will work. Thanks!

Barnes 70gr TSX has worked well so far. I hit this coyote on the shoulder and yet the exit wound was no larger than a nickel. It has been to hot to do much hunting so my "experiments" may be winding down. I only have 2 months till wheels up for my rhino and small cats safari in RSA!
Philip

IMG_0570.jpg

Wise decision to test before you go. Any neighbor’s house cats around killing quail?:ROFLMAO:
In my 30 cals and 375 all Barnes TSXes have left small entrance and exit wounds but good internal destruction. My caracal shot low from front with the 375 250 Barnes TTSX didn’t need gutting though. Still in good enough condition to make a wall rug. If we found a genet, I certainly would have used the PH’s 22LR.
Keep testing. It’s looking good and I’m jealous of your small cat hunt!
Best of luck and don’t forget pictures for us to drool over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois