AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
US, Namibia, South Africa, Greenland
Might be a patent infringement issue here…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.26 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.27 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.29 AM.png
    717 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.30 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.32 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.33 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.35 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.37 AM.png
    837.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 8.48.38 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 96
HO Hum. Another "Modern" rifle.

Meanwhile, my old Parkers and Winchesters keep on working and their values keep on climbing. :)

Also discussed here:

That savage ain't no blazer in my humble opinion lol
In fairness though, I think older savages are the cat's pajamas , just not the recent stuff

That savage ain't no blazer in my humble opinion lol
In fairness though, I think older savages are the cat's pajamas , just not the recent stuff
Page 7 @mark-hunter brings up the Beretta BRX1.

Straight pull isn’t the Blaser’s innovation. The innovation is that the trigger is directly under the magazine, thereby shortening the action by several inches. That is what gives it its excellent handling qualities. Even without the takedown feature, it would still be easier to pack than a usual rifle of equal barrel length.

The straight pull action itself is nice and a bit faster than a turn-bolt, but its real advantage is the part you don’t see: it allows for an extremely strong radial lockup, basically 360 degree engagement.

The R8 is a very misunderstood rifle.

Straight pull isn’t the Blaser’s innovation. The innovation is that the trigger is directly under the magazine, thereby shortening the action by several inches. That is what gives it its excellent handling qualities. Even without the takedown feature, it would still be easier to pack than a usual rifle of equal barrel length.

The straight pull action itself is nice and a bit faster than a turn-bolt, but its real advantage is the part you don’t see: it allows for an extremely strong radial lockup, basically 360 degree engagement.

Along with the radial lockup is shortened (and easy to do) takedown length for a traveling hunter.

Not a knock off. Its going to kick Blasers ass. Well at least over here in SA. Blasers are overpriced. Blaser also weren’t the first to do straight pull rifles. Beretta being basically the biggest sporting arms conglomerate in the world wont be afraid of Blaser.

Not a knock off. Its going to kick Blasers ass. Well at least over here in SA. Blasers are overpriced. Blaser also weren’t the first to do straight pull rifles. Beretta being basically the biggest sporting arms conglomerate in the world wont be afraid of Blaser.
If it is a knock-off, it is a refined version of the Savage, not a cheaper R8.

If straight pull is what someone is looking for, then I am sure the Beretta will do well. I am not sure how large that consumer group might actually be. As others have noted straight pull is relatively far down the list of attributes of the R8 that sold me - none of which the Beretta seems to have.

But you are correct, Berretta can churn out product. Meanwhile, L&O Gp companies are turning out some of the finest firearms on the planet. They seem to compete very favorably indeed with the segments of the shooting customer base whom they target with those products.

I don't consider the R8 overpriced. Mine is the professional model, so it is at the low end of the Blaser price range, but I bought it as a tool, not as a work of art. Considering the quality, I think it is fairly priced. It is ready to go out of the box so there is no gunsmithing cost needed to give it a proper trigger, good accuracy, etc.

If the R8 had been available when I started all this, I'd surely have one hell of a lot less money in rifles than I do now. And more space in the safe.

I don't consider the R8 overpriced. Mine is the professional model, so it is at the low end of the Blaser price range, but I bought it as a tool, not as a work of art. Considering the quality, I think it is fairly priced. It is ready to go out of the box so there is no gunsmithing cost needed to give it a proper trigger, good accuracy, etc.

If the R8 had been available when I started all this, I'd surely have one hell of a lot less money in rifles than I do now. And more space in the safe.

Totally agree , except for my Winchester m70 featherweights.

You make several great points. What I wonder is why they haven't come out with a peep sight that connects to the scope mount to recover the lost sight radius?

Also I wonder are there many R8 owners that have just one barrel? Of those who possess multiple barrels how many do not also own either a 9.3x62 or a .375 or something larger on the Magnum bolt head? Do many folks own multiple calibers across different bolt heads? Eventually there is a diminishing return.

At its high price point and generally being so poorly represented, it's easy to see why it is not well understood. It does not appear they do many demo days.
Well that ought to get them fired up...

I believe the Beretta and Savage will likely take them out of the straight pull market in NA. Especially once the aftermarket barrels allow for the larger magnums to be chambered. The .458 WM should be adaptable to a .300 WM action. If they decide to create a 338 Lapua length action, then all the long magnums will be in play. Right now the R8 is the only game for the big safari calibers.

I like the high visibility magazine. That's a sound idea for safety and not losing it. I do not like the way the rail covers the ejection port. It makes me think it's going to be tough to reload from the top if you were inclined to try. The open sides also complicate dropping in one round on the carrier and closing the action.

You make several great points. What I wonder is why they haven't come out with a peep sight that connects to the scope mount to recover the lost sight radius?

Also I wonder are there many R8 owners that have just one barrel? Of those who possess multiple barrels how many do not also own either a 9.3x62 or a .375 or something larger on the Magnum bolt head? Do many folks own multiple calibers across different bolt heads? Eventually there is a diminishing return.

At its high price point and generally being so poorly represented, it's easy to see why it is not well understood. It does not appear they do many demo days.

Well that ought to get them fired up...

I believe the Beretta and Savage will likely take them out of the straight pull market in NA. Especially once the aftermarket barrels allow for the larger magnums to be chambered. The .458 WM should be adaptable to a .300 WM action. If they decide to create a 338 Lapua length action, then all the long magnums will be in play. Right now the R8 is the only game for the big safari calibers.

I like the high visibility magazine. That's a sound idea for safety and not losing it. I do not like the way the rail covers the ejection port. It makes me think it's going to be tough to reload from the top if you were inclined to try. The open sides also complicate dropping in one round on the carrier and closing the action.
I’ve only got one barrel- 375.

I’m planning to get a 22LR for it.

View attachment 432671

Swiss have a quick mount aperture sight for their straight pull K31's. Gives a nice long sight radius.

Their straight pulls are still beauties from back into the 1800's.

This serial number 25 anniversary rifle is like new.
If they'd have just chambered it in .375 life would be so very nice.

Ah man that would be sweet. I wonder if the new 375 Swiss will come in any straight pulls? Looks like a sweet round.
I love how the threads all run together here. Haha

That's an interesting idea. Makes you wonder what the north fork CPS would do pushed that hard. Beyond that it's a solid only proposal.

They said it's not based on the 338 LM so that may rule out the R8.

Can’t wait for the SCI Convention to look at what all is new this year!

I’ve only got one barrel- 375.

I’m planning to get a 22LR for it.
Barrels seem to come along as use dictates. With two kids that hunt, we have 6 barrels now: .22lr, 6.5cm, .270 win, 7 RM, .300 WM and .375. A 9.3x62 is coming. That covers us for everything. I am most likely to add an additional .22lr, as it gets used a lot for small game.

In haven’t gotten an extra trigger group(magazine) because I haven’t found the need for it. Top loading is quick if you need more than 4 or 5 shots. (But in that case, either things are going poorly or one has a lot of tags to fill!)

For a straight pull, the beretta looks OK, but is not going to compete with an R8, very different market and overall use.
I will say that a straight pull is an amazing thing. Yesterday I watched my 15 year old son fill his two Montana pronghorn tags with two rapid off-hand shots at 150 yards. It was about 1-2 seconds for both shots to happen. I was both impressed, proud, and surprised by the accuracy and efficiency from a 120 lb kid shooting a .270.
(note, meanwhile the Ruger of my friend jammed! But he still got a prone shot at 250 yards and filled his tag.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois