Berdan Large Rifle 7.62 PMP Primers to 7X57 Mauser

REMarchon

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi, folks.
Some south african fellow could tell me if this Berdan Large Rifle 7.62 PMP Primers or another Berdan Military Primers made by Dennel PMP fit in 7X57 (or 7mm Mauser) Berdan cartdriges ?

I explain.
I bought an old military brazilian Mauser (customized to hunt) in 7X57 caliber.
Brazil as well as South Africa were buyers for a long time of germans Mausers in the famous caliber . Until the 80's Brazil produced cartdriges only in the Berdan primer system. After this the production change to the Boxer system. And our only primer factory stopped the Berdan production (today the same factory stopped the production of 7X57 ammunition despite the fact we have thousends of Mausers in our country). Today we can find only the Boxer primers.
Well I as many brazilians have a lot of useless 7X57 cartdriges in the old system of Berdan primers. And I was planning my next trip to Africa when I saw this Berdan primers being sold in Safari Outdoor ( https://www.safarioutdoor.co.za/products/primers-large-rifle-7-62-pmp-berdan-228-c14186204909 ).
So I ask you if these Berdan primers to 7,62 mm or 5,56 mm fit in the 7MM or 7X57 Mausers cartdriges.
Thanks
R.E.Marchon

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 7.00.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 7.00.15 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 248
Last edited by a moderator:
REM.......................USA citizens have had a lot of good ideas over the years................but the Berdan primer wasn't one of them. I'm guessing it is difficult to get boxer primed brass there? Or you have a lot of brass that makes going after the Berdan primers worthwhile? I used to reload them (Berdan) in the 7X57 40 years ago, but after switching to the Boxers, I would not go back. I'm guessing that importing any primer is a problem where you live?.......Best of luck.............FWB

Hi, Bill.
I live in a almost comunist country. Guns, ammunition, powder... everything is hard to legally buy. And expensive.
Shooters who has 7X57 cartdriges in Boxer system don't sell it. Or sell by the same price of gold.
I have a lot of old cartdriges , some of it pre-I WW and pre-II WW (in Berdan). And almost no cartdriges in Boxer system.
Importation is probably impossible but I can bring them in the next trip to ZA.
Well, is a good excuse to hunting again in Limpopo

Hey REM................I understand your situation now. If you get another trip to the Limpopo, you would get a great hunt. But could you bring any primers back with you? Or loaded S&B ammo? ..................Bill

No, if you are a faithful follower of the law.

But sometimes a small box of primers can acidentally fall into your ammo case.
I heard about rare situations the primer box (maybe it have own will ) jumped in the ammo case of careless hunters. Rare cases but can happen.

In small limits I can come back with some cartdriges but the international flying rules permit the maximum of 11 or 12 lbs of ammo per hunter in the flight. It can be 150 to 200 rounds if you don't carry another rifle ammo.

Well, Isaw your profile above. You had been in Brazil. Nice. What you hunted here?

Hi REM........................................I know that a small box of primers can be misplaced. It is a definite problem. They are small, It can happen.
It is also possible to accidentally violate one of the many complex laws by hunting in Brazil. So I have heard. Memory is a problem at my age...............algumas coisas devem ser esquecidas.........Bill

You aren't wrong. If you are breathing probably you are violating some brazilian law. Somethings or some memories you must keep just in your mind, not forgotten , maybe just not published.
Well you travel a lot and it is very good. I hope someday I could hunt in USA.

That would be very nice, and you would be most welcome to join me. Although I have hunted with many rifles, the first one that I bought (other than a .22) was a bolt 7X57. I learned to handload with that gun, and I broke many a decapping pin before learning that Berdan and Boxer were different people with different inventions. I used a 154 grain Hornady roundnose bullet.....and while I now know that nothing can be killed with a light rifle and cup and core bullets.....the mule deer and elk did not know that yet...........I am old now....but hoping to do one more African hunt, a fishing trip in Brazil, and a few pigeon hunts in Bolivia while I can.......and I want to get a warthog like in your avatar!!.................the best of hunting and reloading...........................Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!