JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Gday guys,

I've been looking for a belt ammo pouch that holds 5 to 10 rounds for my 275 rigby. Given the type of mountain hunting i do I'm thinking of going with one that has a closing top, though I'd consider anything. Definitely want leather, might yet get initials engraved though I don't want to feel too pretentious.

Struggling to find anything that fits the bill, anyone know of any brands or makers?

Also going to get my wife to buy me a nice canvas sling for christmas, any suggestions on that would be great.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Screenshot (254).png
    Screenshot (254).png
    367.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot (253).png
    Screenshot (253).png
    381.3 KB · Views: 255
JP I have the Galco for my 375 H&H and it has worked very well. I keep softs on top and solids down lower. Fast to use and so far very secure.

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations and we carry the Galco (too big) and a full range of Els and Co products. I would look at the Somerset Covered as it carries the rounds you want and is avail in sizes to fit everything from a .243 to a .500

Call us at 419 529 5599 if you have any questions and have a good day.

Jim

I buy pretty much all my stuff from murray i have yet to have anything wear out and he does custom work as well i have some ammo pouches and a gun case from him made out of the leather from my buffalo.

Els, Murray, or Galco. Can't go wrong. I use a Murray cartridge belt for Africa (.375), and will be taking an Els belt pouch (.270) with me to British Columbia next week.

I use Murray for the Ammo slides as well. Check out Trader Keith’s for the canvas sling. They’re top drawer. He also has exceptional quality sling swivels.

Els, Murray, or Galco. Can't go wrong. I use a Murray cartridge belt for Africa (.375), and will be taking an Els belt pouch (.270) with me to British Columbia next week.

What are you hunting in BC?

What are you hunting in BC?
Mountain goat with Kevan Bracewell's BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters. Wish my guide luck dragging my 65 year old butt up the mountain.

Mountain goat with Kevan Bracewell's BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters. Wish my guide luck dragging my 65 year old butt up the mountain.
Should be a tough hunt...Good Luck!

I've shot off some emails to suggested makers, thanks to all!

image.jpg
Murray makes great stuff and they’re the only company I’ve found that makes a standard and short height pouch. Their short is perfect for 308/275/6.5. Loop width is the same but the shorter height keeps the cartridges in place better than the taller standard which is sized for 30-06/270 etc. Other companies seem to make a “one size fits all” pouch. I couldn’t find the short version listed, you have to ask for it when ordering. They’ll add initials etc for a couple bucks. My standard Christmas present to hunting buddies. 6.5 CM pictured in the short, 30-06 in the taller standard

Cheers guys, I've heard back from both, gunna run at around $200 aud to my door either direction, reckon ill get the missus to buy it for my chrissy present.

Els look nicer I think but because i hunt in some tough terrain and knock my gear a lot having a push button like murray offers is probably more practical.

Els seem to make some lovely canvas slings also.

Thanks all for the advice, she's all starting to come together.

For any others in the future. I got the Murray C2 Leather and it holds my 300 weatherby shells snug. Not so snug that I struggle to get them out but they won't be falling out or easily knocked out. Quality is excellent and should last a long time.
Next time I think I'd do a cover but I really like the individual pockets for the shells. Just thought I'd share.

Don’t forget to check out trader Keith’s for the sling. His canvas slings are top drawer.

Gday guys,

I've been looking for a belt ammo pouch that holds 5 to 10 rounds for my 275 rigby. Given the type of mountain hunting i do I'm thinking of going with one that has a closing top, though I'd consider anything. Definitely want leather, might yet get initials engraved though I don't want to feel too pretentious.

Struggling to find anything that fits the bill, anyone know of any brands or makers?

Also going to get my wife to buy me a nice canvas sling for christmas, any suggestions on that would be great.

Cheers,
Dick Murray, Murray custom leather. He will be at DSC as always and does great work. Give him a call and you will really enjoy working with him. He will have exactly what you want.
Regards,
Philip

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 4.39.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 4.39.43 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 4.39.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 4.39.51 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 218
I have the Galco Safari Five that fits calibers .338 to .450.
I like that it doesn't have snaps that could make noise, but still stays secure.
https://www.galcogunleather.com/safari-five_8_12_1258.html

They also make one called the Double Rifle Six Pack for calibers .450 to .500.
https://www.galcogunleather.com/double-rifle-six-pack_8_12_1086.html
I want snaps, its not a dg rifle and will be put through a lot climbing in mountain hunting and crawling through thick crap, last thing i need is to lose ammo.

I want snaps, its not a dg rifle and will be put through a lot climbing in mountain hunting and crawling through thick crap, last thing i need is to lose ammo.
I understand and it sounds like you have your mind made up on wanting snaps.
However, the way it is held down is very secure and the ammo is snug in the leather as well.
Best of luck with your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!