Belated Hello

timbear

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA, NZDA
Hunted
Germany, NZ, Australia
I sort of drifted into the website, but I think it is time to just say hello. I have not hunted Africa yet, but it is definitely very high on my list of things to do, getting more so with every article I read. I have hunted in Germany (where I was born), New Zealand (where I lived for 6 1/2 years) and Australia (where I live now). Africa, though, is THE dream. As we are owner-building a house this year, I doubt that I will be able to do anything about it before 2012, which seems far too long. I read Ardent's article about his first hunt in Zimbabwe with great pleasure, thinking that that is the way I want to experience my first hunt in Africa. A buffalo hunt - wow!
Having said that, I have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H mag, but am wondering about a plains game rifle. Okay, the .375 will literally take anything, sure, but if I wanted to bring a second caliber? My preferred deer rifle is the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser, flat trajectory, hard-hitting, accurate, and nice recoil. Would that be up to African game?
Anyway, I'm glad I'm here, so much to find out before the big trip.

Timbear Welcome.
Get that house built and go have some fun.
After all the reading on the issue and all the PH's opinions the bigger deal for your 6.5x55 will be the bullet you choose. High end bullets that hold together well.
If you take both, the 375 and the 6.5x55 along you will be covered. On the day your PH will let you know which rifle to grab out of the rack when you leave the truck or camp.
Good luck.

better late than never...:wink2:

Welcome to AH timbear, looking forward to your participation on the forum.

All the best with that house...i start mine in 2012 - too many hunts booked here in Namibia for this year....way too many !:wink:

Timbear

Welcome to a great African Hunting Forum you will be able to share your stories and learn from some of the master on this forum....

Welcome to the forum, Timbear !

Hi timbear, I think the 6.5x55 is fine for the smaller antelope of Africa. But I would get a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. Oryx, wildebeest, kudu, waterbuck, eland, zebra are tough. And depending on the distances: a long distance, heavy bullet is sometime better...than a lighter, small diameter bullet.

Welcome to AH!

Okay, maybe I should rephrase that question: is it really necessary to have another rifle besides the .375 H&H?

Knowing I might get pilloried for this, the answer to your question is an unquivocal no.

I say that because you asked "is it really necessary". And since you can shoot any of the Big 5 and all of the small game (where a .375 is actually better than a smaller, faster caliber), and everything inbetween, with a .375, that's the right answer.

If you'd asked "is it more fun" to have another rifle, then I'd have said yes, it's really necessary to have another rifle.

timbear,

No! Two rifle are not necessary. The 375 is perfect for a one rifle safari for buff/PG safari. I'd bring a second sighted in scope and be very happy. A few solids for the really small guys and a couple boxes of premium expanding bullets for everything else and you'll be set.

On my last personal safari I took buffalo, eland, red and Lichenstein's hartebeest, nyala, waterbuck and red duiker all with the same 375 Wby, The solid worked perfectly on the red duiker and the TSX's on the rest.

Contact me anytime if you'd like some info on buff/PG hunts.

Mark

timbear,

No! Two rifle are not necessary. The 375 is perfect for a one rifle safari for buff/PG safari. I'd bring a second sighted in scope and be very happy. A few solids for the really small guys and a couple boxes of premium expanding bullets for everything else and you'll be set.

On my last personal safari I took buffalo, eland, red and Lichenstein's hartebeest, nyala, waterbuck and red duiker all with the same 375 Wby, The solid worked perfectly on the red duiker and the TSX's on the rest.

Contact me anytime if you'd like some info on buff/PG hunts.

Mark

Welcome to AH Timbear!

If all you are going to have in your pockets are solids then I agree with Mark but if not then I would carry a smaller rifle I would hate to think that your about to take possibly the next world record Caracal or Steenbok and all you have to shoot it with is a 375 hell let the trackers carry the smaller one for you their working to get a good tip out of you.

Welcome to AH Timbear!

If you take both, the 375 and the 6.5x55 along you will be covered. On the day your PH will let you know which rifle to grab out of the rack when you leave the truck or camp.
QUOTE]

I second above comment / suggestion - take both and you are covered

Knowing I might get pilloried for this, the answer to your question is an unequivocal no.

I say that because you asked "is it really necessary". And since you can shoot any of the Big 5 and all of the small game (where a .375 is actually better than a smaller, faster caliber), and everything in between, with a .375, that's the right answer.

If you'd asked "is it more fun" to have another rifle, then I'd have said yes, it's really necessary to have another rifle.

I fully agree. It is just all the hassle of getting firearms from one country to another that makes me consider a one rifle trip. Australia is particularly strict. A friend of mine was shooting in a pistol match overseas, and took a holiday afterwards. Coming home, she had to re-import and "acquire" her pistol because she had been out of the country too long. When we moved to Australia, we had to get "permit to acquire" for every one of our 10 firearms, de facto acquiring weapons we already possessed. At $30.- a pop it was a bit of a nuisance.

Welcome to the forum timbear.

I agree with several of the comments above, that it's probably not necessary to bring more than the .375, but it sure would be more fun to have a .30 cal for all of the other stuff.

nd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,