Being Geographically Correct

Second Wind

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Member of
by this point, just select 3 - 7 letters, put them together in any given order and I am probably a lifetime member
Hunted
US, Canada, Mexico
This post is directed primarily to Jerome, but of course, anyone with an opinion is welcome to offer up.

Ok, JP, now you got me started at looking at French Equitorial Africa, to wit: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon and C.A.R. and this thought comes to mind:

In the realm of African rifles, we find:

a. the Eastern Cape, moving up through the old English colonies the "Grande Dames"

7 x 57 (.275 Rigby)
.318 Westley Richards
.375 Holland
.470 (as well as many other) Nitro Express

b. If we start in the Western Cape, rubbing shoulders with the Boers and North into the former German colonies we find:

9.3 x 62 MM
9.3 X 74R

So, my question then is this, I do so want to be geographically and culturally correct in my travels, should I be looking to acquire something like a 7.5 x 54mm MAS (7.5 French) it seems to hold some "special" place in French culture and being that these (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon and C.A.R.) are former colonies it would just slay me if I were to show up with a weapon that some there might consider "Politically Objectionable"

Sort of a "when in Rome" sort of thing

I mean we have all fought this "Ugly American" thing for way to long to mess it up now!

And, the French being sort of testy on things cultural, I thought it best to inquire.

It is by bitter experience that the cute little cafe on the rue Clairaut is no place to inquire after a Southeast Australian Merlot. I was told by the formerly friendly waiter "it just isn't done"

So how about some guidance?

Now that is an added dimension to hunting. Bravo sir.

I'd say any euro cartridge would do. Not sure about ex-mil calibres. You could always ask the outfitters what is popular there. Let us know how you get on please.

LOL, Don't think the caliber matters as long as the rifle is not made by the English or it could be Sacra Blaure

LOL +1. Except they always want you to carry something big because of potential close encounters with L' elehant de foret d'Afrique. Maybe pair that MAS or Lebel with a grenade de la carabine?!

Save yourself and rent his rifle. That way the rifle will already have all the culture required to overcome your failings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,