Beginner bow - compound or traditional?

SAFalconer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hi guys what would be a better choice for a beginner a compound or traditional bow? And in case it matters I'm 19, 6'3'' and am reasonably strong. And I've never shot a bow in my life. The closest I've come is a slingshot. I look forward to your feed back:)

Last edited by a moderator:

revturbo9967

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada- NB
are you getting this bow for fun or hunting or both? there is a lot of satisfaction with using a long bow or recurve. that said, they are not very accurate unless you devote half your life to practice. most shots need to be under 20 yards and for hunting which can become difficult. today's compounds can be accurate past 100 yards with practice. i practice regularly from 20 yards out too 100. at 100 yards you can have absolutely no error in your shot and it help quite a bit with short range shots

revturbo9967

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada- NB
i would definitely get yourself a compound bow. with practice you can be very accurate and hunt just about any animal with one.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Compound to begin with. Much more room for error, easier to learn the basics. If after awhile you want more challenge, then move on to the more "traditional" recurve or long bow.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Hi, I would recomend going to a pro shop so they can set you up with a bow that fits you and can give you a quick lesson on form and shot execution, they will also be able to set the bow up and tune it with the correct arrows. It might cost a little more but will will be worth it in the long run. Within a matter of a few hours you will be amazed how accurate you will be with todays compounds.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
The compound version is something like a scoped / bolt action varmint rifle.
The longbow is more like a laver action .45-70 with open sights.
The N. American flat bow (primarily from the original plains tribes like the Souix and others) is something like a smooth boe muzzle loader.
I lean toward the traditional bows but freely admit that most anyone owning a compound type can easily shoot tighter groups than I can with the gap in technology and all.
Perhaps you should buy more than one type before making up your mind - lol.

SAFalconer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Only problem jeff is there aren't any pro shops in Durban or Pietermaritzburg where I live in SA that I know of.

Norwegianwoods

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
I agree with the others.
Start with a compound if you want to use it for hunting.
Then in some time and after getting some experience, you might want to buy a trad bow too :)

Sable123

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
@SAFalconer Get yourself a compound bow. Don't skimp on price or quality but before you do, take note of the info I got for you. Give the archery club a call and chat with the chaps about bow hunting! I literally walked into the bow shop down the road and said "I know nothing about bow hunting!" took it from there and now I have made good friends, got myself an incredible compound bow and enjoy all that bowhunting has to offer.

All the best
Jono

"Pietermaritzburg Archery Club
The PMB Archery Club is an Indoor Archery Club, with a large number of members who shoot FITA Outdoor Target Archery as well. Archery is a Family sport, whether your 5yrs or 80yrs or in between, Archery can become your way of life! If you are interested in just shooting socially or want to shoot competitions, this is the place to do just that! We have members young and old who shoot regularly in Provincial and National competitions and are holders of National and Continental records, so come join us, you are most welcome! If you are interested and would like to try your hand at shooting the bow and arrow then give us a call, Bernie @ 072-3045319 or James @ 083-4403189 and let’s have a chat. The Drill Hall. Natal Carbineers, Geere Street. Compound, Recurve or Longbow – the bow choice is yours! Club days and times – Monday and Wednesday – 6.30pm to 9.30pm"

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
definitely agree with ,jono
join a club .
goto a good archery shop .
get a compound (no offence to the trad guys)
sights and a release aid straight away.(if you want to go back in time later on ,go right ahead )
if your 6.3 young and strong start in the 70 -80 pound bows.
like many things you get what you pay for with archery .
if you get a good second hand bow that ready to hunt , you should be proficient at TARGETS , with in an hour .out to 30 toi 40metres .

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Longbow, in the 50-55# range. I am just bias about it, but, if I had it to do over again,,, I would have never switched in the first place. (I shot traditional for quite a few years, bought a compound and used it for, more that a few years, switched back to traditional) . That's just my take on your inquiry though.

SAFalconer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Thanks guys. I'll look into the PMB Archery club:) So amped to start:)

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
Thanks guys. I'll look into the PMB Archery club:) So amped to start:)

it will change your hunting etiquette, and make you a better stalker .
you will learn from your mistakes ,faster.
and your successes will be all the more sweeter.
but be prepared for a lot more blown stalks .
if in time you step up to trad gear , good for you .....
when bow stalking everything is big game , from rabbits up .

Sable123

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA

SAFalconer

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Slowly but surely. I have found a bow shop in PMB and will check it out asap. Do you have any brand suggestions (ie Hoyt, Bowtech, Bear etc)?

Sable123

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Again that comes down to price/preference and what you looking for. I have only ever owned a Mathews Z7 and shot a Mathews, so cant offer too much there but so far it has offered me everything I wanted in a bow. Hoyt is an extremely good make also. Ask to fire a few shots though before you buy! Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PQVSabina

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

john corry wrote on Alexandro Faria's profile.
Hi,
I remembered you mentioned a dealer in Gauteng regarding a Rigby 350? May I ask who that is? I’m a collector of rigby rifles. Many thanks. John
I am alive and trying to find some hard-to-find reloading dies in .475 #2 (not Jeffreys)
Hi, I’m going on a Leopard & Lion hunt, I’m taking my 338 Blaser mag loaded with 225gr Nosler Accubond moving at 2850ft/s. Will the Nosler Accubond be an excellent bullet on this leopard & lion? Thanks
raamw wrote on MShort's profile.
I have an as new M70 right hand with standard wood of excellent graining and a winchester synthetic
Looking for a 358 Norma Mag.