Bedding of a rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by BigJohnx13, Aug 2, 2017.

1. BigJohnx13

BigJohnx13 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Just a question. If a stock was bedded about 5 years ago and you need to remove the stock to have the rifle blued, do you need to re-bed the stock again or is it still sufficient to operate?

2. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    Properly bedded, I can't see where it would have any adverse effects. Should be no different than simply removing and replacing the barreled action for a cleaning. Others here with more experience may have better advice to offer.

Dr Ray, ack, sierraone and 1 other person like this.

3. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Not a problem for a properly bedded rifle.

Dr Ray, ack and sierraone like this.

4. Desert Dog

Desert Dog AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    No problem, unless the rifle was bedded with questionable material. I use Devcon, and haven't had a bedding job go bad with age yet. A properly inletted and bedded rifle will not be damaged by repeatedly removing the action either.

The bluing itself will have no effect on the bedding job.

lcq, Dr Ray and Hogpatrol like this.

5. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    No worries. Bolt it all back together and carry on.

6. BigJohnx13

BigJohnx13 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for advice

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    As others have posted, it won't make any difference if it's bedded properly. Use a torque screwdriver and torque the action screws to the same setting every time you remove the barreled action from the stock.

lcq likes this.

8. Clayton

Clayton AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
    Sorry I didn't even think of this one. @Hogpatrol is right. I've got a small fortune tied up in quite a few of these T-Handled units. They are worth the cost. Especially on very accurate Bench & Varmint Rifles.

9. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    For wood stocked rifles that you want to maintain accuracy and remain at or very close to "zero" after take down, I would suggest correctly done pillar bedding. I am anal about my bolt action hunting rifles and they are all pillar bedded. [I have HS Precision synthetics on a few but no worries because the HS Precision stock incorporates a pillar bedding system in its basic design.] I take my hunting rifles down regularly and every time I travel--- I treat the bolt action as a "take down". I re-tighten the action screws to witness marks on the bottom metal aligning to the screw heads. NEVER an issue of maintaining "zero" and accuracy.

As an aside, correct bedding of a heavy recoiling DG rifle is important not only for maintaining zero and best accuracy but it may also help prevent recoil induced stock damage over time. And, many DG rifle have the secondary recoil lug on the barrel which requires some extra thought and attention when bedding.

10. ack

ack AH Enthusiast

I just had a new rifle bedded and the results are amazing..Bargain in my case..

11. Hogpatrol

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    The only wood stocks I have are on hunting rimfires. All of my other rifles have either H.S. Precision or Bell and Carlson synthetic stocks with aluminum bedding blocks. I found they are not 100% precision, have manufacturing tolerances that allow them to not re-seat to the same spot so I bed all of them and torque to 50 inch pounds.

12. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    The B&C claims a rigid alum skeleton as a base for bedding. I found them to be substandard and not rigid at all- a key design feature of a quality stock. IMO the HS Precision is much superior, albeit somewhat heavy. I don't believe an aftermarket stock exists that will match perfectly with any given barreled action. So yes, even the HS Precision may need some minor fitting and bedding for best results.

13. Hogpatrol

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Agree on the difference between the B&Cs and the H.S. Ps. I do prefer them and their extra weight with the heavy recoilers.