Beautiful wood/works of art -- Do you hunt with them?

Good wood with a proper finish is never a bad investment. Good wood with a polyurethane finish is a terrible waste of money.

I own several guns with exhibition or XXX grade wood and they go right through the jess bush like any other gun. Since they all have an oil finish (a real oil, not truoil or poly) I buff out the scratches and scars and lay up another 1-2 layers of oil on top. With this level of upkeep, about twice per century you’ll have to have your heirs send them back to get the finish stripped down to the wood (again, With oil this is done with mineral spirits rather than 40 grit sandpaper) and a full new finish with slacum, oil, and rottenstone is applied. When the finish is full stripped, those bigger dents and scratches get steamed out and the checkering may get re-pointed.

With this level of care, about every 200 years you’ll need a new stock.

Here’s an 1868 Boss with its original wood. How’s a 20 year old weatherby look by comparison?

Buy once, buy right (oil finished wood), maintain your weapons, (drop of oil on the palm rubbed in twice per season) they’ll last several centuries.

View attachment 442601
View attachment 442602
Well said!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!