Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772700730

Fellas, I bought this a while back after I sold my Ruger to a member here, but honestly I have no real need of it, and only shot it once, did fine BTW. I am trying to winnow down the amount of hunting rifles I have for the same reason, no real need of them. The Ruger '06 I took to Namibia last trip is also listed on GB for peanuts. If anyone is interested let me know, we can discuss options, not afraid of a reasonable offer. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 1.48.18 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Memorial Day bump:eek::rolleyes::D

A rare and beautiful rifle! This one belongs in someone’s collection. Barrel band, recessed sling swivels, double cross bolts, beautiful wood. Everything a model 70 should be. And I bet you’d be hard pressed to find another like it for sale.
Good luck Scott. I hope it finds a good home.

Yep, a rare rifle in this caliber.

Still for sale! D Day bump! LOL.

I lowered the price a bit in hopes of tempting someone!:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::D:D:D:p:po_Oo_O

@sestoppelman I don't know your gun nor the market for the gun, but it may be that your ad copy confuses prospective buyers? Reading the copy above and the auction info, it sounds like you are selling a pre-64 winchester and most people know they didn't come in .338, so it is then assumed its a cobbled together gun on a pre-64 action. (which is fine in its own right)

It appears to be a somewhat contemporary post-64 gun made by FN on the controlled round feed action based upon the pictures? Perhaps running the ad copy as the modern model that it is would get you to the desired buyer?

Most people (not me though!) don't like old guns and custom guns because there is a phobia that it doesn't shoot straight or that old things are junk things. New gun buyers want to know if its been fired or is it effectively "new old stock", etc. Is the gun rare? If the reader/buyer isn't educated, they don't know that either unless you educate and inform on these characteristics.

I'm suggesting that the ad copy might be your issue finding the right buyer, not the price or quality of your gun.

@rookhawk I'll have to differ with you. The ad does not claim to be a pre-64, but a pre-64 type action. This term is very common with many of the newer post 64 Winchesters. I would goes as far to say that most of us who buy M-70s on GB are very familiar with this term. Even the Winchester gun sites themselves use this term when advertising their rifles. It is a gorgeous rifle with many of the super grade attributes! Because it was made by the Winchester factory before the FN turn over, it is slightly more valuable than an FN model. I would venture to say that it being a .338 Win Mag is a major reason it hasn't sold. IMO a .338 is one of those calibers you either love it or hate it for hunting purposes. A collector may have a different point of view.

@sestoppelman I don't know your gun nor the market for the gun, but it may be that your ad copy confuses prospective buyers? Reading the copy above and the auction info, it sounds like you are selling a pre-64 winchester and most people know they didn't come in .338, so it is then assumed its a cobbled together gun on a pre-64 action. (which is fine in its own right)

It appears to be a somewhat contemporary post-64 gun made by FN on the controlled round feed action based upon the pictures? Perhaps running the ad copy as the modern model that it is would get you to the desired buyer?

Most people (not me though!) don't like old guns and custom guns because there is a phobia that it doesn't shoot straight or that old things are junk things. New gun buyers want to know if its been fired or is it effectively "new old stock", etc. Is the gun rare? If the reader/buyer isn't educated, they don't know that either unless you educate and inform on these characteristics.

I'm suggesting that the ad copy might be your issue finding the right buyer, not the price or quality of your gun.
I suspect the only one confused is you.o_O First of all the original pre 64 was indeed chambered in the .338 mag! Everyone knows that!:rolleyes: As can be clearly seen on the rifle and the box the gun is MADE IN USA, not FN, or Spain or Portugal or Germany or wherever. USA. You should probably do a little research on these rifles before attempting to point out someone elses mistakes. And yes this rifle is quite rare, find another one of this model in this caliber. I have not. It certainly is not a cobbled together thing.:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Scott,
Did you relist it?

Edit, found it.

I suspect the only one confused is you.o_O First of all the original pre 64 was indeed chambered in the .338 mag! Everyone knows that!:rolleyes: As can be clearly seen on the rifle and the box the gun is MADE IN USA, not FN, or Spain or Portugal or Germany or wherever. USA. You should probably do a little research on these rifles before attempting to point out someone elses mistakes. And yes this rifle is quite rare, find another one of this model in this caliber. I have not. It certainly not a cobbled together thing.:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:D:D:D:D

I was being polite and suggesting your ad copy was non-descript. In reply you chastise me and say I’m uninformed. Then you tell me pre-64 guns came in 338 and I’m essentially ignorant.

The pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters were produced in 18 catalogued calibers as follows: .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Winchester, 7X57MM, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .375 H&H Magnum, and .458 Winchester Magnum. Also, a very few were produced in 7.65MM and 9X57 MM prior to World War II in an attempt to lure foreign market. *source: Wayne Miller http://www.ogca.com/WRM_collecting_winchester_pre.htm

I know the fine gun market to a satisfactory level. I know nothing about modern Winchesters, that’s your endeavor. After reading your ad copy and replies, I know little more about modern Winchesters than I did at the onset. I only looked at the ad because there was a chance of a decent vintage stock and action to be acquired had it been pre-64.

Attachments

• Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    134 KB · Views: 403
  • Screenshot (41).png
    Screenshot (41).png
    135.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    123 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Well smarty pants, NOT,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: a quick glance at Gunbroker does show in fact more than a few original pre 64 Model 70's in .338 Win mag, perhaps you should update your obviously faulty sources:rolleyes:. You are right about one thing though, when you say you know nothing about modern Winchesters.:D That is patently obvious.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

As far as I know, the 338 was catalogued as a standard caliber in only one gun by Winchester prior to 1964, the "Alaskan" that is treated separately and distinctly from model 70s of standard quality and they are worth less. (different configuration, different sights, lower quality, circa 1962)

But nonetheless, I wish you well with your sale. I've said nothing disparaging about your gun, I've only said it took me awhile to figure out what it is not and after reading your auction and looking at the pictures, I was no more educated on what it is or its state of use. (unfired?) My reply was intended to be friendly and suggest that you could educate and inform more resulting in a possible sale to someone. I'll accept your assessment that its me with the problem of ignorance if that resolves any debate.

I was being polite and suggesting your ad copy was non-descript. In reply you chastise me and say I’m uninformed. Then you tell me pre-64 guns came in 338 and I’m essentially ignorant.

The pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters were produced in 18 catalogued calibers as follows: .22 Hornet, .220 Swift, .243 Winchester, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Winchester, 7X57MM, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .375 H&H Magnum, and .458 Winchester Magnum. Also, a very few were produced in 7.65MM and 9X57 MM prior to World War II in an attempt to lure foreign market.

I know the fine gun market to a satisfactory level. I know nothing about modern Winchesters, that’s your endeavor. After reading your ad copy and replies, I know little more about modern Winchesters than I did at the onset. I only looked at the ad because there was a chance of a decent vintage stock and action to be acquired had it been pre-64.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but you might want to check out either Rule's book on the Model 70 or the Blue Book.
https://bluebookofgunvalues.com/#/S..._MODEL_70_STANDARD_GRADE_1946_1963_PRODUCTION
The .338 is a fairly rare bird in the pre-64 but was definitely made 1946-63.

Lovely rifle Scott. I'm sure you are sick of hearing it, but if I didn't already own a .338 ….. ;) And I fully understood what you are selling.

Attachments

• Screenshot (43).png
    Screenshot (43).png
    177 KB · Views: 263
  • Screenshot (44).png
    Screenshot (44).png
    180.6 KB · Views: 330
As far as I know, the 338 was catalogued as a standard caliber in only one gun by Winchester prior to 1964, the "Alaskan" that is treated separately and distinctly from model 70s of standard quality and they are worth less. (different configuration, different sights, lower quality, circa 1962)

But nonetheless, I wish you well with your sale. I've said nothing disparaging about your gun, I've only said it took me awhile to figure out what it is not and after reading your auction and looking at the pictures, I was no more educated on what it is or its state of use. (unfired?) My reply was intended to be friendly and suggest that you could educate and inform more resulting in a possible sale to someone. I'll accept your assessment that its me with the problem of ignorance if that resolves any debate.
LOL. To try to say that the Alaskan is considered "separate and distinct" from a standard Model 70? That's just CYA because you were
IMG_4823.JPG
wrong about something. As Red Leg suggests, perhaps have a look at Rule's book on the model 70 to clear up your misconceptions on the .338 which came out in 1959, and was chambered from then on. This picture is from Rule's book. As far as worth less? LOL. Go price one. Sheesh!

@sestoppelman it's obviously a fake and worthless. I will give you $75 :whistle:

It's a gorgeous rifle, and I am currently saving for my next trip or I would be all over this

LOL! Sold for $75!:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D Next!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@sestoppelman it's obviously a fake and worthless. I will give you $75 :whistle:

It's a gorgeous rifle, and I am currently saving for my next trip or I would be all over this
Look closer at that announcement. It lists it at $129.95... even though I have a few 338 win mags, I could pay that for it;)

Yah, I imagine you would!:LOL::LOL::eek::eek::rolleyes:o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg