Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Anybody know of a taxidermist in Houston who can do a bear rug? I have a guy that can do a shoulder mount, but would like a full rug if there is somebody local.

Conroe Taxidermy in Conroe and B&B which is also north of Houston. They all are shipped off for tanning then rug is done by taxidermist. The tannery is in Nebraska or somewhere up north. I’m not recalling exact location but you can send direct if it has been cured. Might same some money.

I’m currently having a grizzly rug done by Palermo Taxidermy in Bryan which is my hometown. I had them do some deer back in the 1970s. Third generation and willing to do as you like. Tell us a bear story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont have one yet. I leave for Idaho on 1 Oct

Isnt that counting your chickens before they're hatched? LOL. I shot a nice blackie in Idaho in 1975 when I lived there up in the Clearwater area, Weippe prairie.

The local guy in Lewiston did a super job on it and it still looks great on my wall.
IMG_2997.JPG

between my son and me, i figure at least one of us will get something. ;)

hunting over bait, i like our odds. may not be a real trophy, but I get to spend a week with my son in the bear woods. that's the big win for me.

between my son and me, i figure at least one of us will get something. ;)

hunting over bait, i like our odds. may not be a real trophy, but I get to spend a week with my son in the bear woods. that's the big win for me.
Where is the hunt taking place?

Any bear taken legally is a trophy. Mine isnt really trophy size, looks big on the wall but it only squares about 5.5'.
Does have a very nice plush hide though.

We're going to be about halfway between Kamiah, ID and Missoula, MT.

Where is the hunt taking place?

Any bear taken legally is a trophy. Mine isnt really trophy size, looks big on the wall but it only squares about 5.5'.
Does have a very nice plush hide though.
For me, the bear is gonna be lagniappe. My son is a really neat dude, that's the trophy.

We're going to be about halfway between Kamiah, ID and Missoula, MT.
Remember when I moved there, I was working for an elk outfitter for a couple seasons and we went down to Kamiah for supplies or something and I pronounced the name wrong, LOL.
I said Ka-mi-uh. Its pronounced Cami-eye.

Sounds like a good place, enjoy and I hope you both have a good time and get bears.(y)

I've actually already learned how that town name is pronounced. It's as bad as some of the places in Louisiana.

Atchafalaya

uh-CHAF-uh-lie-uh

base camp is about 3 hours from Kamiah

take 11 out of Kamiah, up 247, then 252 until we get there. literally in the middle of nowhere.

1663986863818.png

Last edited:
I'm just a bit west of Kamiah. Just went through that area a few weeks ago trout fishing. Really pretty, rugged country.

The nights are getting cool, and it's getting dark around 1900.

You're probably going to pass through Pierce, stop at Ms Lilly's for a buger, or Chubby's Pizza if you're hungry.

Anybody know of a taxidermist in Houston who can do a bear rug? I have a guy that can do a shoulder mount, but would like a full rug if there is somebody local.
Be ready for a long wait, I'm over 2 years waiting on mine. I'm told not many people tan bear hides and with covid they are still recovering from that down time.

Had the skull done, it was finished in less than 3 weeks.

Good luck to you and your son! My only advice is don't pass on the first day what you would take on the last. Could have killed a much bigger bear on the first day. Killed mine on the last day of the hunt at last light. It was the first time my son went hunting and did not kill what he was after. It was a learning lesson for him. We had a great time, hope you two have a wonderful time.

Now if you look south you see Headquarters, Pierce etc. It was just outside Headquarters where I shot my bear.
I was working graveyard at the plywood mill in Pierce and one morning when I got off work, me and a buddy who came out to meet me took off for the brush at daylight for the hunt.
A couple hours into it I saw what I thought was a bear but I was looking right into the morning sun. I put my rifle up, a scoped .308 Win, and was nearly blinded!
Fortunately, I had roll over mounts on that rifle, a Rem 700 ADL, rolled if over and used the irons.
Held for the center of the black as the bear was standing on two legs trying to figure out what I was I guess, and pulled the trigger, down he went, end of hunt.
My bud and I spent the rest of the day getting my truck out of a bog, had to walk out a ways, hitched a ride with a log truck to home, got my neighbor out with his 4x4 and a long hunk of chain and back we went.
We got him stuck too for a time but eventually we all made it home later, I was supposed to work again that night but I called in sick, too pooped to pull green chain in the heat!
Ah those were the days my friends...

Dick is gonna have food ready for us on the 1st, but assuming we don't hunt through our last day, we're proly gonna cut out a day early and stay in a hotel in Missoula. Definitely hit one of those places up on the way out, time permitting.

Heck, if you forget anything, and remember it on the drive out, hit me up, I may be able to assist.
Looking at the weather for first week of October, I'm tempted to leave my heavy coat. Is it worth it to bring fishing tackle, too? We get a 3 day fishing license as part of the deal.

Now if you look south you see Headquarters, Pierce etc. It was just outside Headquarters where I shot my bear.
I was working graveyard at the plywood mill in Pierce and one morning when I got off work, me and a buddy who came out to meet me took off for the brush at daylight for the hunt.
A couple hours into it I saw what I thought was a bear but I was looking right into the morning sun. I put my rifle up, a scoped .308 Win, and was nearly blinded!
Fortunately, I had roll over mounts on that rifle, a Rem 700 ADL, rolled if over and used the irons.
Held for the center of the black as the bear was standing on two legs trying to figure out what I was I guess, and pulled the trigger, down he went, end of hunt.
My bud and I spent the rest of the day getting my truck out of a bog, had to walk out a ways, hitched a ride with a log truck to home, got my neighbor out with his 4x4 and a long hunk of chain and back we went.
We got him stuck too for a time but eventually we all made it home later, I was supposed to work again that night but I called in sick, too pooped to pull green chain in the heat!
Ah those were the days my friends...
Sestoppelman,

Have you seen the log deck at the old plywood mill? Went past there about 3 weeks ago, it was massive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,