Bear hunts

Discussion in 'Hunting USA & Canada' started by PARA45, May 29, 2018.

1. PARA45

PARA45 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
    Looking at different hunt options for next year. Can anyone recommend an outfitter for black bears, either here in the US, or Canada?? My son and I are looking into it to see what we decide to do next year. Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

CAustin likes this.

2. JakeH

JakeH AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    USA
    I have not personally hunted with him, but a lot of people around here swear by Conman’s Guide Service (https://conmans.homestead.com/). I would note that these aren’t trophy bears, but a combination whitetail deer/black bear hunt.

3. Heeler75

Heeler75 AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA, USA (NM, MO, KS, OK, TX, NE, SD)
    What type of hunt are you looking for? Bait, spot/stalk or with hounds? Any particular color phase?

If you want to do with hounds and riding mules in the back country I recommend Joe Troyer of Lil Joe's Big Game Hunting in New Mexico. He hunts the Capitan area and was 90% on bears last year I believe. His area has a lot of good color phase (mainly chocolate). I hunted with him in 2016 and took a chocolate phase on day 3 of my hunt.

4. VonJager

VonJager AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Life, DSC, NRA Life, WSF Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa.
    Could he pick a worse name for his company? Con Man?

5. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    A topic that I am also interested in.

6. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Rising Son Outfitters in Montana. I've elk hunted for almost 20 years and done a spring black bear hunt with them. Great folks and operation. Nice, comfortable cabins with hot showers, etc. Horses, pack mules utilized to get into the back country. Lots of fun to go play cowboy for a week!

http://www.huntinginmontana.com/

Rising Son Outfitters
    Randy and Dena Petrich
    361 Mill Creek Rd.
    Livingston, MT 59047
    Phone: 406-333-4624
    Email: RSO@huntinginmontana.com

PARA45 likes this.

7. PARA45

PARA45 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
    375, thanks for the info. That is not a bad deal for the bear, and Montana is beautiful too.

375 Ruger Fan likes this.

8. Jeffrey Masters

Jeffrey Masters AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    SA, Mexico, Lower 48, Alaska
    My brother and I hunted Prince of Wales with Jim Phillips of Annahootz. There were 4 of us on the boat, and all four killed. I took a brute that squared 8'2", and that is the truth! I was 1/8th underB&C. It was a boat based hunt, on a fishing boat. A little cramped, but I didn't go for the boat. We hunted in 16 foot skiffs glassing the grass flats just on shore. If we saw a bear, we would move in to assess the sex and quality. Jim was excellent on the glasses, and he worked his butt off to get me a bear. We stalked in on a bear just after last light one night that made my bear look like a baby. We never were able to get a shot, as we ran out of light. Jim was really disappointed, he was sure it would have been a monster. I killed a super nice bear, and even my untrained eyes could tell it would have been a monster. Jim grew up commercial fishing, and is a hard worker, and great guide. PM me if you want to talk. Jeff

PARA45 likes this.

9. dobber

dobber AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    While i have never hunted with Mike, i have known him for many years, he has some great hunting grounds in Eastern NC, i do know many people that have hunted there and lots of repeat hunters. There have been some 500+ pound bears taken

PARA45 likes this.

10. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Jim Shockey has a tremendous black bear operation on Vancouver Island, takes some real brutes.

375 Ruger Fan and PARA45 like this.

11. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    On another forum there was a lot of information on a guy called Captain something-or-other that has NC bears. They were not cheap hunts, but they were amazing numbers of amazing bears. Trump Jr., Shockey, and a whole lot of other people have gone with this guy. If price isn't the issue, this is where I would go. (mind you, I don't remember the prices but they weren't insane prices for what you got... order of magnitude >$3000 and <$8000 all-in is my foggy range of what they charged)

You can go hunt little black bears in Ontario like I did also. Loads of options. Likely a 150-225lb bear. It'll take you a week. It'll cost you $3000 as the going rate.

12. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I have hunted bear twice with Kevan Bracewell's BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters in British Columbia https://bctrophymountainoutfitters.com/ This is spring bear spot and stalk hunting in some of the most spectacular country on the planet. It is an ideal location to take a son with hunts staged out of a comfortable ranch six-hours out of Vancouver. I have also hunted mule deer with Kevan and will be hunting mountain goat in a few weeks. My son and I will be back up there for bear next spring. I posted a brief report about our last hunt. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/canada-black-bear-with-bc-trophy-mountain-outfitters.38672/ In seven days of hunting you will see 25 - 35 boar bear and approximately a third will be color-phase. Just great folks and a great experience.

PARA45 likes this.

13. dobber

dobber AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Sheesh @rookhawk you need to ask around, i could have helped with bigger bears, or at least got you some decent areas. Where i hunt its not uncommon to see a 500# but i do prefer the smaller 200# bears for eating.
    Think if i had the choice i would go to Manitoba or Sask for a color phase bear though. The only rug at my house was one my son shot, has a skunk stripe down his back (albeit a reddish/brown against the black)

14. Fred Gunner

Fred Gunner AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    My wife my father-in-law and I have hunted "Down East" Maine with Eastern Ridge Adventures we've taken four bears... They run a first class operation.
    They have both over baits & Hound Hunts

http://www.blackbearhunting.us

12240395_981857148565058_2885532798485624381_o.jpg

PS: They taste like Blue Berries

PARA45 likes this.