Bear Euro Skull Mounts - Huge thank you to jduckhunter

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by gizmo, Nov 19, 2018.

1. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    A while back @jduckhunter sent me two bears. All he asked in return was that I do a euro mount of them to set on a coffee table or something. I am forever in his debt for this huge act of kindness. Here are his bears and I hope he and everyone enjoys them. Thank you sir. DSC_0282 - Copy.JPG DSC_0283 - Copy.JPG DSC_0285 - Copy.JPG DSC_0286.JPG DSC_0287.JPG DSC_0288.JPG

2. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Impressive !

gizmo likes this.

3. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
  4. kathy

kathy AH Fanatic

Looking good, did you use beetles ? Forrest

5. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thank you. No just the old boil method.

6. jduckhunter

jduckhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
    Damn it Erik your going to make me blush. Thank you so much for the great work.

gizmo likes this.

7. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thank you sir. What you did for me helps me more than you can imagine. One bear is going to be rugged but the other I am doing a show display with. Depending down hill with a stream fishing.

8. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Looking good! Rock n roll boys!

gizmo likes this.

9. sleeping giant

sleeping giant New Member

they had some funky teeth!

gizmo likes this.

10. Ragman

Ragman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
    I've got a chocolate bear skin in my freezer that I don't have the space or funds to get done. Come up icefishing this winter and it's yours!

gizmo likes this.

11. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Brother I would love to but my plate is so full this year and on into the summer I cant see straight. I will make it up your way in the not to distant future though.

Ragman likes this.

12. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Damn Erik, that's impressive work. I'd like to take one of those skulls over to my dentist and ask if the dental hygienist can do some plaque removal. Be interesting to see the look on her face when I pull it out of a sack.

gizmo likes this.

13. Dragan N.

Dragan N. AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Gizmo,
    Those skulls are well done but there are a few things I see, I hope you don't take it the wrong way or see it as me bashing your work. First of all some of those incisors look to be mismatched to their corresponding socket. Secondly I see a few areas where there is what, looks to be like, subsurface grease, or it could just be the lighting. If I is grease this may come through to the surface in the coming months. The boil, or rather should I say the simmer, method also has a tendency to cause the sutures to separate- as can be seen along the nasal region, on a younger animal it could have caused the skull to come apart. The boil also has a tendency to "cook" grease into the bone which is especially problematic on an animal as greasy as a bear. Did you degrease these skulls ??

gizmo likes this.

14. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    No offense taken at all. Yes I boiled them but I also degrease all skulls because I’ve had that happen in animals that aren’t particularly oily.
    The teeth on those bears were a bit wonky. Each tooth is in the appropriate socket. I thought it was a bit odd as well. There was one front tooth on one of the bears that I had to replace but other than that they are original hardware.

15. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Euro mounts of carnivores particularly are a favorite of mine. I collected a number of them, then a school teacher friend asked if she could have them to display to her students. I couldn’t refuse and the kids showed a lot of interest in them. Now I am starting over. No problem. After all, I am a hunter.

gizmo likes this.

16. ve7poi

ve7poi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
    Very nice look forward to seeing display

gizmo likes this.