BDC on DG rifle?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I'm seeking opinion regarding the utility of the adjustable for range reticle when used on a rifle intended for dangerous game, such as Cape Buffalo, for rifles such as 458 Win Mag. The closest that I've been to Africa is watching The African Queen, but from what I've read, shots at ranges over 150 yards are heavily discouraged by the PHs. that being the case, it seems to me that it would be best to sight the rifle for 100 yards and figure the bullet will strike within three inches of point of aim as is. thoughts?

Ray, got a chuckle out of the African Queen comment; been a few Africa theme shows since then. I've left open sights on my 458 as I do not intend to use it outside 50 or so yards so no help, but will be interested in hearing what others that use it more say.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon 2-8 with a BDC that I put on my .458B&M. I honestly only got the BDC reticle as the sale I hit was a great price and it included that reticle. I use that scope when I'm running 260gr bullets through it. To my pleasant surprise the 200 and 300 yard crosshairs provide very close to on target results, certainly close enough for hunting.

Phoenix Phil- then you use the 458 for multi-purpose hunting?

Phoenix Phil- then you use the 458 for multi-purpose hunting?

Yep. The 260gr CEB bullet I use is loaded to 2900fps. Puts a very big hurt on PG.

My 458 Lott is open sights but my 416 Ruger has a VX-6 on it. The beauty of that VX-6 on my elephant hunt was that I could see the hair in the ear hole of the bull so well that the shot placement was perfectly aligned.
The 458 was my backup rifle and would have been used in thick brush if needed.

In Africa always be prepared for the unexpected. My last safari was Zim and I was only prepared for at most 100 yard shots with my .375 Ruger topped with Leupold VX-6 2-12X. So when, after many days of hunting a bushbuck was sighted at 380 yards I did not know what to do. Hunting can be tough and opportunities few and far between. I had not even studied my range card so I had no idea where to hold for the shot. I gave it a shot and of course missed. If I had my Leupold CDS, that I just got because of this experience, combined with a good rangefinder I could have at least had a chance at making the shot.
My point is be prepared as best you can because you never know where hunting will take you!
Regards,
Philip

My 458 Lott is open sights but my 416 Ruger has a VX-6 on it. The beauty of that VX-6 on my elephant hunt was that I could see the hair in the ear hole of the bull so well that the shot placement was perfectly aligned.
The 458 was my backup rifle and would have been used in thick brush if needed.

So does your VX-6 have a BDC type reticle on it Charlie? If so, have you found it useful?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg