BBC - Storyville - Trophy: The Big Game Hunting Controversy

Mr Free Market

AH member
Reaction score
This evening on BBC Four, as part of the Storyville series was a programme on big game. I should say that I haven't watched it yet, but will do so at the weekend

The blurb on their website is as follows:

Endangered African species like elephants, rhinos and lions come closer to extinction each year; since 1970 the world has lost 60 per cent of all wild animals. Their devastating decline is fuelled in part by a global desire to hunt and kill these majestic animals. This film investigates the industry of big-game hunting, breeding and wildlife conservation.

Through the eyes of impassioned individuals who drive this business - from a Texas trophy hunter on a mission to kill 'the big five', to the world's largest private rhino breeder in South Africa, who believes he is saving these extraordinary beasts from becoming extinct - the film grapples with the consequences of imposing economic value on animals. What are the implications of treating animals as commodities? Does breeding, farming and hunting offer the option of conserving endangered animals? Trophy raises provocative debate about the rights and wrongs of killing animals for sport and for profit, and questions the value of these pursuits in saving the planet's great species from extinction.

I have absolutely no doubt that it will be the normal BBC nonsense but for those of you that a) suffer from low blood pressure & can do with a few more PSI & b) can access the BBCs iPlayer website, it is available to watch for another 29 days

PS: I can't seem to link direct to the page but if you put the title of this thread into your search engine, that should get you there

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.04.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.04.21 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 301
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.04.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.04.31 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 281
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.04.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 3.04.36 PM.png
    528.5 KB · Views: 280
Thank you for the link

Not watched it yet but will do so at the weekend

These days I fear for anything on the BBC - they have long since abandoned editorial impartiality. Their weekly show, Countryfile, has an absolutely terrible reputation in the countryside, but that's no surprise really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg