Whit

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (TX, WY, AR, NC), New Zealand, Germany, Slovakia, South Africa
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

Greetings from sunny Italy. Just stumbled across a weird make of a double rifle... a Baucher Saint Etienne rifle. That's the only stamp. Digging around the internet ties in a reference to the French military manufacture arsenal 'MAS', but otherwise, no idea who makes this rifle, if they are even still in business, what kind of quality, etc... a bit of a mystery, thought you all might know. :cool:

Semper fi -

Greetings from sunny Italy. Just stumbled across a weird make of a double rifle... a Baucher Saint Etienne rifle. That's the only stamp. Digging around the internet ties in a reference to the French military manufacture arsenal 'MAS', but otherwise, no idea who makes this rifle, if they are even still in business, what kind of quality, etc... a bit of a mystery, thought you all might know. :cool:

Semper fi -
Good luck. I’m sure someone knows something about it

Semper fi -

Any pictures perhaps you could share? Of the rifle and the stamps?

Photo of the manufacturer/proof stamp coming later..

bst 2.jpg
BST rifle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.32.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.32.35 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.32.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.32.36 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
I have a double barrel shotgun made by the same manufacturer. Very good quality!
I'm not home right now, later today I can tell you what the MAS is the initials for.
Great looking rifle!

Baucher, Gaucher, are you sure you didn't misread the G as a B?

When @Wishfulthinker580 responded with a "Gaucher" rifle, I immediately wanted to jump into my pen and say that this must be an incorrect interpretation. Because "gaucher" means lefthanded in French. But apparently there really exists/existed a French rifle maker called Gaucher. You learn something everyday on this forum ! :)

@VertigoBE , I had just added the word “ gaucher” to my French vocabulary recently. I was looking at a Gaucher carbin made by Dorleac&Dorleac. It has a left handed Mauser action made by FZH in Germany. Sweet !

I own and hunt with a Gaucher double rifle in 9,3x74R....it is very accurate to 100m using RWS factory ammo..

The action appears more massive than for instance a Chapuis..

G3.jpeg
G2.jpeg
G4.jpeg

The MAS tie-in that is eluded to regards the company name: Manufacture Nationale d’Armes de Ste. Etienne
They have made many French firearms including double rifles, double shotguns, military weapons, and started as a bicycle shop if my info is correct.
My 12ga double hammer gun was made by them. Solid gun, well built, good quality, While doing some research on it, I was able to see where they made double rifles under various trade names.

I have one, a nice little rifle.
So far it has shoot everything I feed it so close on the target that I havent bothered adjusting the scope.
Stock is a bit short for me, but that willl be fixed with a recoil pad

The MAS tie-in that is eluded to regards the company name: Manufacture Nationale d’Armes de Ste. Etienne
They have made many French firearms including double rifles, double shotguns, military weapons, and started as a bicycle shop if my info is correct.
My 12ga double hammer gun was made by them. Solid gun, well built, good quality, While doing some research on it, I was able to see where they made double rifles under various trade names.
Many thanks. This is interesting and helpful - and the mystery is solved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg