Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor

Tango

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
Preparing for my 2nd plains game hunt in South Africa with Makonya Safaris. Bought a new Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor for the hunt. 2 of our group shot Fieldcrafts in 6.5 Creedmoor last year (I shot a 30-06 Fieldcraft) with excellent results on everything up to zebra, wildebeest and kudu. Absolutely thrilled with this new rifle and caliber. Incredibly accurate, zero recoil, great trigger and easy to shoot in the field despite the light weight. 3 shot test groups with factory Hornady 140gr ELDX are .40" and .78" with Sellier & Bellot 140gr FMJ. Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15 is also excellent. The G4 reticle is one of my favorites.

Shooting steel plates out to 600 yards last week on a field course. Reminded me how much I like the African Sporting Creations shoot sticks. Super versatile. Expensive, but really fine kit.

FC 1IMG_3703.JPG

FC 2IMG_3708.jpg
FC 1IMG_3711.jpg

Thats great shooting, I'm still working up loads for mine

It's the most forgiving rifle I've ever owned. Every 140gr load tried shoots under an inch with less than 1/2" suppressor shift.

Barrett calls this their 22” medium contour. It’s 7lb with sling, scope/Talley mounts/covers and 4 rounds in it.

That sounds excellent! My 300WM, 30-06, 243 and 223 have a 6-7” difference in POI at 100m when suppressed. Not sure why yours is so different.

I think Barrett’s expertise from the military side of their business carries over to the way they do Fieldcraft barrels. The barrel is very rigid and the shoulder behind the threads is quite precise. The full-length bedded stock also helps. Really impressive rifles.

Nice shooting Tango. I hear great things about the FC. Curious, what bullets in those 6.5 CM's did you guys use on your previous safari? Thanks.

3 of us each used different bullets. Nosler AcuBond, Hornady ELDX and I used Sellier & Bellot XRG Blue tipped copper (30 cal 165gr). (Full disclosure; I work for Magtech-S&B). The AcuBonds and ELDXs expanded well, shed about 25grs and killed everything cleanly. All bullets stopped inside the animals and were recovered. I never recovered an S&B XRG. Every shot was a complete pass through including a wildebeest I shot at 40 yards straight on. End result was the same; clean quick kills.

Yes, I hate to keep going on about these rifles, but they are incredible. Easy to shoot them very accurately.

Thanks. Yep, mild recoil and outstanding accuracy even with factory loads makes the 6.5 Creed hard to beat. My Tikka T3x is ridiculously accurate as well.

What do your groups look like at 200 meters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg