Barrel-mounted swivel stud

Trail Rated

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’m thinking about redoing an old rifle — new or refurbished stock, reblueing the metal, etc. While I’m in there messing around I’d also like to add a barrel-mounted swivel. Is it possible to do so without removing the front sight? I’ve only seen Talley studs that are on a ring that has to be slid over the barrel.

How delicate an operation is this?

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Look online. There are a clamp on style in a couple of sizes and styles.
One I think pulls right around and another 2 pieces that come together.
Brand s, “UncleMike’s” Maybe

They don’t look quite like the traditional barrel band buyback I don’t have one either.

Was hoping to put one on a big bore for traditional Safari rifle look but I believe the process is to sweat off the front sight with an Oxy or similar gas heating equipment. Slide on the band and solder it then re solder the front sight.

Then i guess it’s re-Blue Whole barreled action to match

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
CP Donnelly's preferred method of mounting a sling swivel to the barrel was to skip the band and solder the bracket directly to the bottom of the barrel.

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
When you solder a sling swivel stud to the underside of a barrel, it has to be done right. If not, the barrel will push against one branch too many whilst the rifle is slung on the shoulder, the stud will come away and the rifle will fall on the ground. THAT is why the solder-on and screw-clamp styles of barrel-mount sling swivel/stud are the preferred options.
A now deceased acquaintance of mine had a European made rifle, chambered in 9.3x62 with a soldered-underneath sling swivel stud. The objective end of his scope was permanently dented when the rifle fell on the ground after the solder gave way but because the housing went about 3/4 of an inch past the lens, the scope was still useable

Luvthunt

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Could you use black max or Loctite red for fastening the swivel to the barrel?

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Could you use black max or Loctite red for fastening the swivel to the barrel?
Only if you are using a clamp on style.
You would use those products as thread locker on the screws in a clamp fitting .
I would be wary of using a soldered stud on a 10pound big bore unless it has a band going around the barrel.
If you want "The Look" then a barrel band that goes right around and is soldered on is the old style that looks traditional and looks good. Thats the look that i like and you can be sure it wont fail.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
DSC_0870A.jpg
DSC_0871A.jpg

Above is the sling swivel that was part of the rifle built for me by CP Connelly about 30 years ago. It only weighs about 7 pounds, chamber for a 257 AI so I don't suppose the swivel has needed to absorb a lot of stress, however for all of its use, it has never even hinted at failing.

Trail Rated

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Thanks for everyone’s replies. If it helps, the rifle in question is my old (I need to start saying “vintage”) Steyr Mannlicher in 8x56mm. It weighs less than 7 lbs and is a little more than a meter in length. Being short and relatively light, the rifle’s recoil with the 208 grain ammo is noticeable.

Brian Rothhammer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
the rifle in question is my old (I need to start saying “vintage”) Steyr Mannlicher in 8x56mm.

Why not use a swivel that screws into the stock as used originally on the Mannlicher Schoenauer Take Down Model?
38818722ai.jpg

From New England Custom Gun, $22.00 USD and done:
38818779sc.jpg

They have several other options: https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/products.php?cat=296

This $26.00 solder on type has the proper looking MS swivel as well:
38818805hb.jpg

Grand Dad's M1910 (9.5X57) Takedown Model:
38818833ra.jpg

Attachments

• 38818722ai.jpg
    38818722ai.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 38818779sc.jpg
    38818779sc.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 38818805hb.jpg
    38818805hb.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 38818833ra.jpg
    38818833ra.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RicardoT

Latest profile posts

RicardoT wrote on Jan007's profile.
Hallo , ek stel belang as die 375 steeds beskikbaar is 083 511 9921
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.