Barrel length for handguns in South Africa?

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I am planning on traveling to hunt in South Africa with a .44 Remington Magnum or .454 Casull revolver.

Is there a minimum barrel length requirement for handgun hunting in South Africa?

I've asked the folks at Henry Rifle Permits, about a temporary import permit, accordingly it will not be a problem. However, I have not received any response back as to barrel length and if I need to attach a scope to my revolver.

There is a minimum length requirement, the length may be depending where in SA you’ll hunt.
A mounted scope is required for the import of a handgun. I suppose not many will check if you have it on the firearm when you’re out in the veld.
I don’t have the legal document with me now, but if you google Cape Ordinance 1974 you’ll have what’s the requirement in the Eastern Cape.

Some websites mention a requirement for a SPECIFIC need to use a handgun for hunting in SA?

Fellow member Edward is the guy to ask.

@Steve Scott would be another resource for this question.

Minimum barrel lengths for handgun hunting 22. (1) The following norms apply to minimum barrel lengths of handguns for the purpose of hunting-

(a) 100mm for- (i) centre fire single action revolver; (ii) centre fire double action revolver; (iii) rimfire single action revolver; and (iv) rimfire double action revolver. (b) 150rnm for- (i) centre fire single action break neck pistol for the hunting of- (aa) any furred game; and (bb) feathered game, including ostrich; (ii) rimfire single action break neck pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (bb) feathered game; (iii) centre fire bo!t action pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game; and (bb) feathered game, including an ostrich; (iv) rimfire bolt action pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (bb) feathered game; (v) centre fire falling block pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game; and (bb) feathered game, including an ostrich; and (vi) rimfire falling block pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (bb) feathered game; and (c) 125mm for- (i) centre fire semi-automatic pistol; and (ii) rimfire semi-automatic pistol.

Minimum calibers for handgun hunting 23.

(1) The following norms apply to minimum calibers for revolvers- (a) a rimfire single or double action revolver for the hunting of-(i) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (ii) feathered game; (b) a centre fire single or double action revolver of less than .357 magnum caliber for the hunting of furred game larger than rock hyrax, up to and including the size of a grey duiker; and (c) a centre fire single or double action revolver of .357 magnum or larger caliber for the hunting of- (i) furred game larger than grey duiker; and (ii) ostrich.

(2) The following norms apply to minimum calibers for semi-automatic pistols- ( a) a rimfire semi-automatic pistol for the hunting of- (i) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (ii) feathered game; (b) a centre fire semi-automatic pistol smaller than .357 magnum or 357 Sig for the hunting of furred game larger than rock hyrax up to and including the size of a grey duiker; and (c) a centre fire semi-automatic pistol of .357 magnum or 357 Sig or larger for the hunting of- (i) furred game larger than the size of grey duiker; and (ii) ostrich.

Thanks IvW for clearing up the barrel length question. One other issue which seems to be debated is whether your handgun needs to be fitted with an optical sight for temporary import. If so, does it have to be a scope or are reflex (red dot) type sights also OK? Having been getting conflicting advice lately which is a worry when planning the next trip.

How do you go about getting the paperwork for a handgun?

Thanks IvW for clearing up the barrel length question. One other issue which seems to be debated is whether your handgun needs to be fitted with an optical sight for temporary import. If so, does it have to be a scope or are reflex (red dot) type sights also OK? Having been getting conflicting advice lately which is a worry when planning the next trip.

No it does not open sights are fine

Thank you all for your help. I have done my research on the links and with Henry Rifle Permits.

I'll be hunting in both the West and East Capes, although my 4 inch barrel 44 mag may meet the qualifications, I'm going to opt for a 6 inch barrel in 44 mag or 454 Casull.

We went on two hunts in 2021, to SA, once all the c19 crap cleared slightly. I have heard many stories of what’s legal or not. I hunt with a few other handgun hunters ( only handguns) and in speaking with our PH, and the Air2000 folks that walk us thru customs, and arrange local night stays, and in country transportation. At that time we were told 8” barrel length, minimum, with an optic. That leaves a lot to interpretation. In April, (SAPS) customs agents physically looked over every gun, matched HEADSTAMPED brass to guns, wrote down how many of each caliber.
Heading home was quick and uneventful. On arriving back in SA in September, SAPS briefly looked at the guns, never looked at ammo……. No notes, no serial numbers. May not have been a problem with a 6” or 7” barrel, but then again, you never know who will be there, and I do not wish to spend ANY time being detained, questioned or held! Or having my firearms taken. I always check with the locals on the ground where I am going.

More detail is needed in this discussion. I have never heard of an optic being required.

Hello
Visited Sa 5 times for handgun hunting with a 5,5"bbl Ruger vaquero bisley. Iron sight and .45C caliber. Temporary permits ready by Ph, police was only interested of the serial number. No ammo check, just numbers and out in 5minutes. This between 2013 and 2019.

My 2c
TimoJ

In mid 2021 I sent an email to the head of the SAPS Central Firearms Register asking in relation to a handgun temporarily imported by a visiting hunter:

i. Is there a minimum barrel length requirement and if so what is the current minimum? and
ii. Does a revolver need to be fitted with an optical sight?

That officer sought guidance from one of her subordinates. That advice was:

The Firearms Control Act, (Act 60/2000), does not specify what the minimum requirements for the length of a barrel must be, nor that the firearm must be fitted with optical sights. I am not familiar with any written document or instruction which regulates barrel lengths. However, the applicant must motivate the suitability of the firearm he/ she intend to use and for what kind of hunting he will use the firearm. He/ she will follow the normal procedure for the import of the firearm.

From the above I'm happy to go with the premise that so long as the handgun is a hunting style handgun (as distinct from an obviously self defense style), you have an invitation letter from your PH and the right paperwork, you should be good to go. I would definitely engage a firearms permit service to ease the way.

The norms and standards document is a proposed thing from the professional hunters association, its not a law or anything, merely a suggestion.

You can hunt with any handgun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg