Barrel length for handguns in South Africa?

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
I am planning on traveling to hunt in South Africa with a .44 Remington Magnum or .454 Casull revolver.

Is there a minimum barrel length requirement for handgun hunting in South Africa?

I've asked the folks at Henry Rifle Permits, about a temporary import permit, accordingly it will not be a problem. However, I have not received any response back as to barrel length and if I need to attach a scope to my revolver.

Hunting Sailor

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa, Sweden, Austria
There is a minimum length requirement, the length may be depending where in SA you’ll hunt.
A mounted scope is required for the import of a handgun. I suppose not many will check if you have it on the firearm when you’re out in the veld.
I don’t have the legal document with me now, but if you google Cape Ordinance 1974 you’ll have what’s the requirement in the Eastern Cape.

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Some websites mention a requirement for a SPECIFIC need to use a handgun for hunting in SA?

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Fellow member Edward is the guy to ask.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
@Steve Scott would be another resource for this question.

MS Hitman

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, Handgun Hunters International, Quail Forever, SCI, DSC, DU
Hunted
USA (MS, LA, WV, CO, TX, AL, AR, & NM), South Africa, New Brunswick, Canada

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Minimum barrel lengths for handgun hunting 22. (1) The following norms apply to minimum barrel lengths of handguns for the purpose of hunting-

(a) 100mm for- (i) centre fire single action revolver; (ii) centre fire double action revolver; (iii) rimfire single action revolver; and (iv) rimfire double action revolver. (b) 150rnm for- (i) centre fire single action break neck pistol for the hunting of- (aa) any furred game; and (bb) feathered game, including ostrich; (ii) rimfire single action break neck pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (bb) feathered game; (iii) centre fire bo!t action pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game; and (bb) feathered game, including an ostrich; (iv) rimfire bolt action pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (bb) feathered game; (v) centre fire falling block pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game; and (bb) feathered game, including an ostrich; and (vi) rimfire falling block pistol for the hunting of- (aa) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (bb) feathered game; and (c) 125mm for- (i) centre fire semi-automatic pistol; and (ii) rimfire semi-automatic pistol.

Minimum calibers for handgun hunting 23.

(1) The following norms apply to minimum calibers for revolvers- (a) a rimfire single or double action revolver for the hunting of-(i) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (ii) feathered game; (b) a centre fire single or double action revolver of less than .357 magnum caliber for the hunting of furred game larger than rock hyrax, up to and including the size of a grey duiker; and (c) a centre fire single or double action revolver of .357 magnum or larger caliber for the hunting of- (i) furred game larger than grey duiker; and (ii) ostrich.

(2) The following norms apply to minimum calibers for semi-automatic pistols- ( a) a rimfire semi-automatic pistol for the hunting of- (i) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax; and (ii) feathered game; (b) a centre fire semi-automatic pistol smaller than .357 magnum or 357 Sig for the hunting of furred game larger than rock hyrax up to and including the size of a grey duiker; and (c) a centre fire semi-automatic pistol of .357 magnum or 357 Sig or larger for the hunting of- (i) furred game larger than the size of grey duiker; and (ii) ostrich.

Hunter4752001

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Thanks IvW for clearing up the barrel length question. One other issue which seems to be debated is whether your handgun needs to be fitted with an optical sight for temporary import. If so, does it have to be a scope or are reflex (red dot) type sights also OK? Having been getting conflicting advice lately which is a worry when planning the next trip.

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
How do you go about getting the paperwork for a handgun?

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Thanks IvW for clearing up the barrel length question. One other issue which seems to be debated is whether your handgun needs to be fitted with an optical sight for temporary import. If so, does it have to be a scope or are reflex (red dot) type sights also OK? Having been getting conflicting advice lately which is a worry when planning the next trip.

No it does not open sights are fine

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Thank you all for your help. I have done my research on the links and with Henry Rifle Permits.

I'll be hunting in both the West and East Capes, although my 4 inch barrel 44 mag may meet the qualifications, I'm going to opt for a 6 inch barrel in 44 mag or 454 Casull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EzekielBer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.