Barrel length for 470 NE

Synergy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI (Chile chapter)
Hi Friends, I´m asking for your advice here

I´m ready to buy my first double, a Heym 88b PH (good price and very good dealer here in Chile).

Caliber is 470 NE (reloading is only permited for shotguns and handguns here, so I think 470 is better than 450/400 for commercial ammo) . My question is about barrel length, 24" or 26"? and why?. I´m thinking about 26" to help me tame the recoil a bit better.

Please, forgive the fact that I am not an native english speaker so there might be a lot inconsistencies in the above sentences or grammar.

Hi Synergy,

a Heym 88 is a great double, you will love it.

The caliber .470 NE is great, but keep in mind, that the .450/400 is the most common in the last 5 years (from every maker, germany or england or...). So the Hornday .450/400 Amo is also an great option.

24 is normaly "too short", only if you want to hunt very close.
(And it look a little bit stumpy.)
Or for follow ups, pp.
In the thick-bush, etc.

26 is more like a shootgun, better swining.
But some people say it is to long.
(For me too.)

And it depence at the lengh of your stock too...
And: Did you use it with or without an scope?

Why not use the 25 lengh?
The "golden middle"?
:)

Best wishes.

The "B

P.S.:
Can I ask you, what you want to hunt with that double in chile?

Thanks Bullhunter

No use for a 470 in Chile, besides some wild cattle. (call it "Buffalo training" :LOL: )

The real use for the rifle is in Africa, for Cape Buffalo in a couple of years.

I'm going to look the .450/400

Thanks

most doubles from the english makers are 24 inches and thats my preference . i dont think they look "stumpy" , but i know a couple of gents on here who will say go longer.......i think Mr VD @Velo Dog will say 28 inches are his idea of perfection....:E Shake Head:.... ;)

most doubles from the english makers are 24 inches and thats my preference . i dont think they look "stumpy" , but i know a couple of gents on here who will say go longer.......i think Mr VD @Velo Dog will say 28 inches are his idea of perfection....:E Shake Head:.... ;)

Actually I prefer 26" on doubles and single shots but who's counting.
The one buffalo I have taken was with an Army & Navy hammer double (.450 No2 NE) that had 28" barrels.
But I could not bring myself to have it cut.
Perhaps that's where the almost correct 28" preference came from.
My only double rifle now is a Heym (.458 Winchester) with 25.5" barrels that I bought used and it balances well so, the half inch missing is ok.
For anyone wanting a double rifle, I recommend you handle a few if possible before buying.
Perhaps it will be one barrel length balances best for you over any other.
Maybe not.
It becomes important to me when carrying many days in a row, not to mention for fast handling, potentially under stress.
I recall Mr Spike.T here likes 24" barrels and Matt85 likes 28".
J.A. Hunter wrote that he preferred 25" barrels on his famous .500 NE and so it goes with each person.

Last edited:
I have a Merkel with 23.6 inch barrels and it shoots very well out to 75 meters which in my opinion is the max range the rifle should be used at anyway.

As for it being stubby?? Well that I suppose that's in the eye of the rifle holder I personally like a shorter rifle.

If recoil is an issue for you I would much rather go with the 450/400.

Its a lot more pleasant to shoot and ammo is a little bit cheaper as well.

Either way you go its going to be a lot of fun!

Hi Friends, I´m asking for your advice here

I´m ready to buy my first double, a Heym 88b PH (good price and very good dealer here in Chile).

Caliber is 470 NE (reloading is only permited for shotguns and handguns here, so I think 470 is better than 450/400 for commercial ammo) . My question is about barrel length, 24" or 26"? and why?. I´m thinking about 26" to help me tame the recoil a bit better.

Please, forgive the fact that I am not an native english speaker so there might be a lot inconsistencies in the above sentences or grammar.

Hello Synergy,

Your English is excellent and certainly much better than my Spanish.
You will be very happy with the Heym PH model, no matter which caliber you finally choose.
My favorite caliber for double rifles is the .450/400 NE (Three Inch.)
But mostly because it has less recoil than some of the other heavy game calibers.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

I think the group has it covered.

The preference will come down to what you like after handling a few rifles and if you get the chance do to shoot them.

If you are hunting in heavy brush I think the 24 inch double would be your preference.

More open areas the 26 inch will be to your liking.

I did note that the 26 inch double will snag branches when walking through heavy cover. your head ducks however you seem to forget the rifle barrels that are in the air, and well your rifle hits another branch.

I do not crawl well with a double rifle (or other rifles), so keep that in mind while looking.

Have fun and let us know what you decide.

I generally favor longer barrels, 26-28 inches. im currently considering having Verney Carron build me a 500 NE 3" double and the planned barrel length is 26".

something to consider is longer barrels give a longer sight radius. with open sights, the longer your sight radius the more precise your shooting will be. I have a background in muzzle loaders so im used to hunting with rifles that have 40+ inch barrels.

-matt

Thanks for all the very helpful responses. Those are just the kinds of guidelines I was looking for. Glad to have a place to ask questions like these! Thanks again everyone.

24621284jn.jpg

This is an great Heym sidelock double.
Zhe 150 years aniv. modell.
In .470 NE.

Attachments

• 24621284jn.jpg
    24621284jn.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 473
Last edited by a moderator:
@Bullhunter i bet that one is slightly more expensive than the ph doubles they had on offer at sci last year for the anniversary. $16.000.00 made to your measurements in .450, .470, or .500 as far as i can remember. there were 2nd hand same models for $18.000.00+ on the 2nd hand dealer stands. they were the bargains of the show.

It cost 120.000 euros.

If I lived in Chile where hand loading is prohibited, no amount of money would compel me to own a double rifle. What if factory ammo is discontinued and no future production ammo will regulate? What if the gun shoots terribly with its intended factory ammo and you can't handload? What if you need a solid and they only factory load soft points?

If faced with life in Chile, for the above reasons I'd own a magazine rifle or single shot that will fire anything correctly.

Just giving an opinion that wasn't requested. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois