Barrel band

paladin100

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Once you read this, you will understand that my knowledge of most things is very limited! However, whilst hunting in Limpopo last year, one of the guys was discussing getting a "Safari" rifle built. One of the things he wanted was a traditional barrel band.
Having fretted about this since, I IMAGINE (as I don't know), that if the rifle were to be zeroed, for whatever reason, prior to the band being fitted, it would require rezeroing after the work was done as the barrel harmonics would be affected. Yes? Or No?
I know someone on here will know. Don't shoot me down too much for not knowing!!!
Thank you.

I don't know much about barrel bands except for watching Larry Potterfield put one on in a YouTube video. If I had to guess it would affect the zero. However, I would think any time you would disassemble a rifle and do any major gunsmithing like that you have re-zero it anyway, harmonics or no harmonics.

Hmmm. Of course. I wasn't thinking about having to take the rifle to pieces. Stupidly I imagined that you could fit a barrel band without taking the stock off. You will be correct. Thankyou.

That's why I have never wanted a barrel band, I really want nothing affecting the pressure on my rifle barrel. They look cool, but to me are not practical for everyday shooting.

The purpose of the barrel band is to get the rifle sitting lower on your shoulder when you have it slung while walking. That means you won't catch your barrel on the bushes.

The other purpose of a barrel band is to move the sling stud forward and off the forearm of the rifle on big bore guns so it does not hit and potentially cut your hand in recoil.

Bob and stug I agree with you those are good arguments for a barrel band :).

My .318 WR, .375 and .404 have barrel bands and all are MOA rifles - bench or sticks - hasty sling or no sling at all. I really like not having to worry about gouging my left hand.

My Brockman .458 Lott has an interesting way of addressing this. Not a standard stud, but keeps you from gouging your hand.

I think this is proprietary to Brockman, but not positive.

20150209_200624.jpg

The other purpose of a barrel band is to move the sling stud forward and off the forearm of the rifle on big bore guns so it does not hit and potentially cut your hand in recoil.

yup bob having had an older brno in .416 rigby use my left forefinger to bend and remove the detachable sling swivel from the fore end of the stock,:E Shocked: i can tell you its only funny to others standing around you !! while you are jumping up and down shouting and swearing and not giving a monkeys about the lion 30 yards away needing a 2nd shot :E Big Grin:

This has also been my understanding for the purpose of a barrel band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross