Barnes TTSX weight for 300WM PG

Totoro

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
MDF/DU/WTF/SCI/NRA/RMEF
Hunted
Canada/Lower 48
Hey fellas, would you recommend going with the 165 or 180 TTSX in 300WM for PG assuming both shot equally well in same rifle?

By practice, I've always shot on the heavier weight spectrum (212 ELDX) in the 300WM but haven't shot mono's before in same rifle.

I had read that going down in weight should give higher MV which helps expansion in the TTSX.

Thanks!

Hey fellas, would you recommend going with the 165 or 180 TTSX in 300WM for PG assuming both shot equally well in same rifle?

By practice, I've always shot on the heavier weight spectrum (212 ELDX) in the 300WM but haven't shot mono's before in same rifle.

I had read that going down in weight should give higher MV which helps expansion in the TTSX.

Thanks!

The 180gr version will still open up fine and the 165gr version will still get the job done on larger animals. So I'd use accuracy as my guide, use whichever one shoots more accurately. If no difference there.....flip a coin.

Alw

Thanks!
Always heavier for Africa. I shoot the 180g TTSX and have done incredibly well on a variety of game. This year hyena, side striped jackal, civet, all the gazelles in Tanzania, lesser kudu, wildebeest, and dik dik. Bigger animals go down while there is little damage with a well placed shot on the smaller ones.

I use 180 TTSX in my 300WM and they performed on everything up to and including Eland and Giraffe.
Like Phil noted, which ever one is accurate in your rifle will do.
Good luck

Thanks!
Used 180s on 18 different pg animals up elan. Worked great.

Used the Peregrine plainmasters in 180, with our 300WM we were getting right at 3000fps. It punched through everything but a blue wildebeest. The bullet actually tumbled it, the back of the bullet punched through the hide, the mushroom kept it from leaving. If the 180s shoot, you will be fine.
Screenshot_20210728-224006_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221018_233340_Photos.jpg

Shoot whichever groups best. Personally I prefer heavier grain weights.

In my 300WM the factory 180gr TTSX’s don’t group as well as the 180gr TSX’s or 165gr TTSX’s, with the TSX’s grouping the best. For something completely different I tried the 200gr Terminal Ascent from Federal and got the best group I’ve shout out of the gun and it hunt around 3.5” at 500 yards. Now I just need to find some more ammo for it.

Shoot whichever groups best. Personally I prefer heavier grain weights.

In my 300WM the factory 180gr TTSX’s don’t group as well as the 180gr TSX’s or 165gr TTSX’s, with the TSX’s grouping the best. For something completely different I tried the 200gr Terminal Ascent from Federal and got the best group I’ve shout out of the gun and it hunt around 3.5” at 500 yards. Now I just need to find some more ammo for it.
I’ve heard good things about that bullet.
The huge draw back is they haven’t had it available for reloading in years

I’m curious-you said you’ve always shot the 212 eld-x. . .So why not just keep shooting it, it would be perfect for plains game, so I don’t understand the interest in jumping ship.
I like the Barnes tsx and ttsx and have done well with both in various calibers, but nothing wrong with eld-x either.

I use the 180 TTSX in my 300WM.
Last trip blue wildebeest, kudu, Nyala, and several others. All one shot kills, most dropped on the spot. The Blue went the farthest about 60 yards. Was a frontal shot and what was left of the bullet was found in rump. I was pleased with its performance. These were hand loads running 3080 fps.

I’ve heard good things about that bullet.
The huge draw back is they haven’t had it available for reloading in years
The Terminal Ascent? It hasn’t been out for years

You can find some loaded ammo, but not component bullets only
Right, because it’s new ….
If they’re still trying to make loaded ammo, why would they reduce or eliminate loaded ammo production capacity to ship projectiles, thus lowering revenue and profitability.

The OP’s post doesn’t mention handloading at all and of the 3 bullets he’s brought up, they’re all factory load configurations.

… I concur w/ the majority on their preferred opinion in favor of the 180‘s as I’m a staunch 300WM user w/ either Barnes 180 TSX/TTSX & Norma 200 Oryx as my Go-To combination for eight/PG trips & +/- 40 trophies.

The PH preferred aim point when available is center shoulder & that means Sh. Blade, Bone, etc. & here extra grains = ^ foot pounds of energy will make a difference on penetration & expansion.

Happy Trails

Alw

Always heavier for Africa. I shoot the 180g TTSX and have done incredibly well on a variety of game. This year hyena, side striped jackal, civet, all the gazelles in Tanzania, lesser kudu, wildebeest, and dik dik. Bigger animals go down while there is little damage with a well placed shot on the smaller ones.
@Philip Glass
I heard and read the same thing but I went differently.
In the sons 308 he used the 150gn Accubonds at 2,900fps and the Australian made Outer Edge 140gn at 2,800fps. Even the 140s punched thru a zebra at 120 yards and the second shot at 190 yards. Massive damage from them. No projectiles were recovered as they were complete thru and thru with massive internal damage and good exit wounds. Glad I didn't listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you