Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Badgerland Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania
Does anyone have experience with Barnes muzzleloader bullets? I particularly want to learn about accuracy and expansion for the MZ and the three Spitfire bullets.

I've been shooting Powerbelt bullets for a long time. The accuracy is good, but the expansion leaves a lot to be desired. I shot a buck last week that had half-inch, round entrance and exit holes.

My experience with Barnes rifle bullets has been excellent, but I have no experience with the muzzleloading components.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I’m interested in this too. I’ve used power belts (they work fine) and harvester bullets (better). I’d rather use a copper bullet.
What range was your shot? Are you using loose powder or pellets?

I have only used Barnes 285gr 50cal spitfires in front of 2 pellets of White Hot powder. The exit holes on whitetail deer and black bear are impressive. Shots are pass throughs so I have not recovered a projectile, but I have had no trouble recovering the animals that they hit! I would highly recommend them. I use a Thompson Center Encore rifle.

A few years ago I was elk hunting with a ML and using the Thor 300 grain bullet, these are actually a Barnes conical bullet that is legal here in Colorado. At 120 yards I had two complete pass through shots and one that broke ribs going in along with going out. I came to rest on the far side of the elk. Expansion was perfect.

The Thor bullet comes in 4 different diameters so you can match them to your barrel. For .50 caliber they come in 250 and 300 grain.

I have also used Barnes T-EZ in 250 grain over loose powder. The three deer that I have shot with it have all been one shot kills, pretty much bang flop. One mule deer buck made it about 20 yards. The shots have been out to 150 yards and all have been pass through shots with no bullets recovered.

Here are a couple of pictures of the .300 grain 50 cal Thor that I recovered alongside of a new bullet

Fzf6YrW.jpg
oMYjOkX.jpg

I only use Barnes 250gr spitfires..... after every other muzzle loader bullet I tried failed to do anything but make a straight pass through.

I shoot the .250gr Spitfires(blue tip) with the EZ load blue Sabots, with 150gr(3 pellet) charge of IMR white hots & Remington clean bore primer.

Rifle - TC Triumph .50cal with Nikon BDC 50 scope.

In the past I tried all manner of MZ bullets, including Hornady Muzzleloader and even their 240gr XTP .44magnum handgun bullets in a sabot and as you described, I got nothing but straight pass throughs..... and I'm not talking about 1 or 2 issues in a season, I mean YEARS of frustration and trying different bullets.

Then I tried the Barnes spitfire after seeing the after effects on a whitetail buck that was shot with one at 80yds and ever since then they are the ONLY MUZZLE LOADER BULLET I USE and I've been using them for 4-5 years now.

This cull buck was shot at 40yds broadside and knocked off his feet and he stumbled for 30yds and fell over; the wound you see in the picture is actually the exit wound, although it may look small its actually many times larger than your average MZ pin hole exit wound and when the hide was pulled back during skinning the energy transfer and wound channel are quite profound.

X1JN2iF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20160928_123233 1.jpg
Barnes TEZ 250gr. This was on a mule deer at a rather long distance of 280 yards out of my 50 cal muzzleloader shooting blackhorn 209. Went through the right side right behind the front shoulder and ended up on the far side just under the skin. I wouldn't use anything else as every animal I have ever shot with one they worked great as far as I could tell.

As far as accuracy goes, I shoot a CVA Accura V2 LR, blackhorn 209 84gr by weight, with the Barnes TEZ 250gr and my groups are usually in the .7 moa range. This is with a 3x15 scope. In my small circle of friends, 4 of us have CVA Accura V2 LR rifles, and that muzzleloader absolutely loves the TEZ. we shoot between 78-84gr by weight of blackhorn depending on the rifle but there isn't much variation in the accuracy between the 4 rifles. My shot group tightens up with less powder but I'd rather have the faster projectile than a more accurate shot if I am limiting myself to that 250-300 yard range anyway.

I use 325 Hornady .458 in on top 150 grains of white hots ( preformed cylinders ) in a traditions g4 pursuit

although that’s mainly because I also use them in my .45-70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois