Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Morning all,

Someone mentioned the Barnes LRX range on another thread in the forum and it got me interested: Does anyone on the forum use them and if so, what are your experiences thus far?

TIA

I’ll be following this. I’m looking at using them in my granddaughter’s 7mm-08 for elk. Currently she is using the 120 TTSX and it has worked well on mule deer and Corsican and merino sheep, but I’m thinking something a bit heavier may be better for elk.

I use them when I need a heavier bullet, especially for my 6mm. They seem to perform identically to the TTSX. The only issue you will run into is the COAL, which is why they might not be the best choice for SA cartridges

I’m loading the 250gr LRX in my .338 RUM. I haven’t killed anything with them yet. They give the same accuracy in my rifle as other top loads. To get the higher BC (.602) they take an already long bullet, compared to the 250gr TSX, and make it longer so it does protrude further into to case.

Using the 145 LRX in my 280 Rem. It has worked very well from smallish deer to cow elk. It is designed to open at even lower velocities than the TTSX, yet still penetrate. So far on game I use it interchangeably with the TTSX. Which ever one the gun shoots best goes hunting. Performance between the two has been similar as far as I can tell. If I was planning to shoot much over 400-500, I’d lean to the LRX due to the advertised lower minimum effective velocity rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg