Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life Member, DSC, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Canada, RSA, USA, Zimbabwe
Looking through the 2021 Barnes catalog on their website and they show the 375 (and 458) Banded Solids returning for 2021. Both 300gr and 350gr are listed. Anyone seen any for sale?

This is great news , but my expectations are low . Apparently the reason Barnes stopped making their Banded Solids in .375 and .458 caliber , was due to pressure from the ATF ( who regarded them as “ armor piercing “ ) . I don’t know if Barnes managed to get ATF off their backs , but during Joe Biden’s presidency ... I rather doubt it .

I bought a few boxes in 470 last month.

I don't see how nosler can make their monolithic brass solid and Barnes can't. Makes no sense.

Have they ever stopped making them for the big calibers? I see nothing in 375 from them, but 9.3 and a bunch of others are on their website.

Last edited:
I bought a few boxes in 470 last month.

I don't see how nosler can make their monolithic brass solid and Barnes can't. Makes no sense.

Have they ever stopped making them for the big calibers? I see nothing in 375 from them, but 9.3 and a bunch of others are on their website.
Better lawyers?

Thanks to a member here I have about 50 400 gr., flat nose, banded solids for my .404J. I am going to load some for impact testing along side my Woodleigh 400 gr. SN RN softs. I want to develop loads that shoot at least close to the SN Woodleighs.

While their webpage dealing with components doesn't list the .375 Banded Solid, they do appear in the on-line catalogue. What does disappoint is that the .375 projectile in the catalogue appears to be the old round nose style rather than a flat nose design. I believe a flat nose design gives more effective wound channel and greater straight line penetration. Until product actually appears on the shelves, we can probably regard it as vapor ware.

This is great news , but my expectations are low . Apparently the reason Barnes stopped making their Banded Solids in .375 and .458 caliber , was due to pressure from the ATF ( who regarded them as “ armor piercing “ ) . I don’t know if Barnes managed to get ATF off their backs , but during Joe Biden’s presidency ... I rather doubt it .
Well, they are making them and selling them. I am sick of all of this being turned into political sniping.

Well, they are making them and selling them. I am sick of all of this being turned into political sniping.
How is it political sniping? You should probably go stir shit somewhere else. Fact is that the ATF shut down the 375 banded solid for whatever reason, fact is your presidents administration doesn’t like guns, ammo or people like us.

January 23, 2012
Dear Customer:
There has been speculation regarding certain component and ammunition products within the shooting community. The purpose of this letter is to inform our valued customers of the status of Barnes Banded Solids’ availability as components, and in Barnes VOR-TX Safari ammunition.
In October 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”) classified twelve individual Barnes Banded Solid projectiles as armor piercing ammunition. Following these classifications, Barnes submitted individual “exemption request” petitions to ATF.
If the petitions are approved, the projectiles will be removed from the statutory definition of armor piercing ammunition, and therefore Barnes will have clearance to continue manufacturing and selling these projectiles.

Seems quite political to me, exactly which pistol besides a 375 JDJ uses a bullet of this diameter?

While their webpage dealing with components doesn't list the .375 Banded Solid, they do appear in the on-line catalogue. What does disappoint is that the .375 projectile in the catalogue appears to be the old round nose style rather than a flat nose design. I believe a flat nose design gives more effective wound channel and greater straight line penetration. Until product actually appears on the shelves, we can probably regard it as vapor ware.

or chuck the RNs in a lathe and make ‘em flat…

images (2).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to learn read and research before posting crap. No sniping to it. The story of the fed involvement is a few years old, well known and public info. as posted by @Bullthrower338

By your implication then, I’m the “Political Sniper”. Normally, I wouldn’t waste my time responding to such uncouth and assumptive rudeness. But, here goes anyway:

Barnes Banded Solids were declared to be “armor piercing” by the ATF during the Obama administration. Joe Biden was/is Obama’s lackey. My assumption was sound.

Barnes didn’t succeed in getting the ATF to stop classifying the Banded Solids as “armor piercing”, because of the Biden administration. Barnes succeeded in getting the ATF to stop classifying Banded Solids as “armor piercing” despite the Biden administration.

If I wanted to do “Political Sniping”, I assure you that I would say things a lot worse about your hero. Pedophile, senile, Anti American, illegal immigrant prioritizing, etc, etc, etc. But I just made an assumption based on an undeniable fact. That the current American President doesn’t like firearms.

If you’re sick, take an antacid or an aspirin or a suppository or whatever floats your boat. Then, come back when you’re ready not to get so easily sickened by other people’s opinions. Especially one that was never directed at you.

Last edited:
And just like that... @Hunter-Habib became one of my favorite AH people. Good for you sir. I'm sure he won't be missed while he straightens out the tangled situation with his pantaloons.
My pleasure, Son. Insulting people is never something to be proud of. But some people basically ask for it.

Last edited:
Looking through the 2021 Barnes catalog on their website and they show the 375 (and 458) Banded Solids returning for 2021. Both 300gr and 350gr are listed. Anyone seen any for sale?
Yes they have. I bought some 350 gr banded solids from them at the end of 2021.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg