Bang for buck species

If you have read Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway, Mt Loosimingor in Tanzania could very well be, if not likely, the "green hills" in Hemingway's book and the basis for the title!!

This video by Rainer Jösch is about hunting buffalo on Mt. Loosimingor. If you are looking for a type of foot hunt that reminds of backpack hunting large open tracts of land without fences this hunt would be about as close as you may find in Africa. If still available, it would be kind of pricey me thinks:) And, I have no idea of the current status of hunting buffalo on Mt. Loosimingor because things have been in such flux in Tanzania. Even as remote as this area is, in 2010 when this was made, Jösch was lamenting on how it was a shrinking island environment with people and human activity encroaching all around. Even if not planning to go there, this is a well made hunting video worth the watch- IMO... not the whack and stack type hunting video that seems the norm these days.
Rainer Josch video.png

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic of "wild hunts," I would KILL to go on a Cameroon bongo hunt (hopefully I can save my pesos up once I graduate and land a jorb). Imagine being in the densest of jungles, with gorillas and chimps surveying you, and being ass deep in the Heart of Darkness.

You have a great idea and dream to hunt Africa! Free range is great but keep in mind many properties are fenced and 100,000+ so it is free range but managed. I think Namibia would be great for you for your Eland and others.
Philip

One of the funnest hunts I’ve done was mountain zebra in the Khomas mountains west of Windhoek. We went in on horses and it was more demanding than I anticipated. Add a few days of tracking in the Kalahari or in the open areas around Windhoek and you’ll have a ball.

One of the funnest hunts I’ve done was mountain zebra in the Khomas mountains west of Windhoek. We went in on horses and it was more demanding than I anticipated. Add a few days of tracking in the Kalahari or in the open areas around Windhoek and you’ll have a ball.
That sounds great! Who was the outfitter?

We were hunting with Michael & Tienie Duvenhage from Uitspan Safaris on the property of Johnny Schickerling (Agarob Safaris). Wonderful folks & a great hunt.

But i do see an upshot in that there has to be a close second. Maybe i won't hunt a buffalo stalking on foot through thick bush for days but would an eland hunt be something similar for example? Obviously minus the danger part though.

I love the challenge of hunting more than anything else, i am a trophy hunter but not for score at all.

At this stage bush stalking an old huge framed free range eland bull is at the top of my list maybe in namibia.

What other species and also what countries can people suggest to get a true sense of free range african hard stalking and tracking to suit the budget of a very average joe?

For me the eland was tough, and uncertain till last moment.
But for some, eland was easy.

If I am to choose from what I have seen, then try: kudu and hartmann zebra, in non fenced Namibian hills, free range. This will fill your requirement

This is my report about hunting Eland, you will see how it was for me.
But as said, for some people, it wasnt so hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rugermagnum

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,