Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
On another thread, we had a chance to look at one of Bailey's amazing double rifles built on his "rising block" design. Around two years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase one of his single shots from him that are based upon the same brilliant design. I had planned to post some photos of it once I had taken a deer with it, but that is taking longer than I planned. :unsure:

It is an elegant rifle. It combines many of the best attributes of both English and Continental stalking rifles. This particular one is in 7x65R. It is light, lean and extraordinarily accurate with everything that I have fed it. The trigger bull is perfect (as good as a Blaser R8). The action is robust and deceptively simple. I am simply astounded no one came up with the idea during the Golden Age of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The engraving is approximately 70% fine English Scroll (Acanthus) with a bit of gold highlights. Both in design and decoration, it is the minimalist perfection.

Bailey is also a great individual as well as a gifted craftsman. http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/ His rifles, like all quality custom pieces, are not cheap when compared to say Ruger No. 1. But they are a bargain when compared to something like a Hartman & Wiess of similar handcrafted perfection.

full

full

full

Last edited:
Gorgeous rifle! I love the design, it seems to give much more room on the reload than you can get from a falling block and much less out of plane movement than with a break barrel action. I need to get one in my paws! Thanks for sharing your rifle Joe!

I have looked at his rifles as I really like falling block rifles. The Bradshaw rifles are fascinating. They appear to be exceptionally well made and at a price that is a bargain for the man hours put into them.

You own “best” quality rifles. Are there any qualitative differences between the Bradshaw rifles and high end European single shots?

Honestly, there are times I think I should sell most of my guns and just get a Bradshaw.

There isn't anything I could not do in NA, that is even close to becoming reality, that I could not do with Joe's 7x65R above.

Ok, I will keep a .222 and .375 H&H...then I would have it all covered.

Thanks for posting those pictures. What a beautiful looking piece and it sounds like it performs as well as it looks.

Very nice ! Thanks for sharing.

Simply beautiful craftsmanship. Thank you for posting. The rising block action is some astounding engineering.

Beautiful. I love that it takes Talley rings.
I have watched his videos, the design looks flawless. I like how the extractor acts as an ejector if you work it fast.

@Red Leg , Beautiful rifle! Mr Bradshaw's shop is located about an hour away from my planned retirement home. Might have to make a road trip one day and go for a visit and drool on a few guns.

How does it compare to similarly priced VC O/U (or single shot if they have it)?

Very classy rifle, it has the slim lines of a great stalking rifle. The color casing is nice. You have a very fine rifle, may it accompany you on many hunts.

Joe, is factory ammo for a 7x65R hard to come by?

Joe, is factory ammo for a 7x65R hard to come by?
It is not like owning a .270. ;) Fortunately, this rifle really loves the Norma 140 gr "Ecostrike" load which a number of folks carry. https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/3756 If one can ignore the Green pandering, it is a fine bullet for North American medium game. S&B loads a 173 gr SPCE that would likely be very effective in Africa that is also easy to find.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.09.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.09.48 PM.png
    562.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.09.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 2.09.49 PM.png
    721.2 KB · Views: 95
@Red Leg that is an incredible stalking rifle in an awesome caliber! Congrats.

7x65R (7x64 Brenneke Rimmed) is formidable and certainly will handle use in Africa as you well know.

You left off another good 7x65r ammo choice that circulates in batches ever 5-10 years. German GECO 7x65r (GECO is a sub-brand of RWS Diana). Nice stuff.

Beautiful rifle. Congrats on owning such a fine piece of art.
Bruce

It is a beautiful fall block rifle , Sir . How does the 7x65 mm Rimmed caliber compare with the 7x57 mm Mauser caliber ?

It is a beautiful fall block rifle , Sir . How does the 7x65 mm Rimmed caliber compare with the 7x57 mm Mauser caliber ?

I know you were asking Redleg, but I’ll jump in. It’s more powerful. Search 7x64 brenneke for identical ballistics in a rimless version of 7x65r.

I know you were asking Redleg, but I’ll jump in. It’s more powerful. Search 7x64 brenneke for identical ballistics in a rimless version of 7x65r.
Why thank you so much for educating me , Mr. Rook Hawk . During the time of my career , I have only seen the 7x57 mm Mauser and 7 mm Remington magnum .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg