AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hi all,

I spent the month of September at home on the farm on a months holiday from work. 3 months away and the baboons had taken over the place. I have posted some photos of the baboons I shot during my time off.
For those of you wanting or contemplating coming to Africa and looking to hunt baboon, I would highly recommend it. Its extremely challenging!

I also wanted to put together a segment called "Hunting bushpig 101" with a step by step guide of how I hunt bushpig but on the last night before I was due to return to Botswana and the night I was going to sit in the tree stand, we had 150mm of rain!! So it will have to wait till January 2015, but I thought I'd post a little taster of what we have at our place.

Thanks and happy hunting.

Regards
Jono

IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
EK002956.JPG
EK002957.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think it would be really interesting to truly hunt baboons. I saw plenty on y first trip, but had no real interest in shooting one as there was so much else to do and it would have just been an opportunity shot.

But to really target one. That would be interesting. If I don't get one next May it will most likely be because I couldn't. I should have the time.

How many did you kill?

Royal;
When you are snuggled in your bed in the East cape and the damned baboons start barking an hour or 2 before you plan to wake up, you will be ready to not only hunt but to go out on an assassination mission! And when you are stalking through a river bottom, just catching a glimpse of horn when the damned baboon lookout barks and the brush explodes and all you see is shaking leaves as you real quarry clears out to the next concession, you will be wanting to shoot baboons!

Royal;
When you are snuggled in your bed in the East cape and the damned baboons start barking an hour or 2 before you plan to wake up, you will be ready to not only hunt but to go out on an assassination mission! And when you are stalking through a river bottom, just catching a glimpse of horn when the damned baboon lookout barks and the brush explodes and all you see is shaking leaves as you real quarry clears out to the next concession, you will be wanting to shoot baboons!
That's what I've heard!

They did mess up a hyena blind for me in Zim, but other than that they were kind of funny.

I wanted to hunt one last year but when I encountered them I was stalking kudu or bushbuck so I choose to pass. Not next year though. They are on my for sure list to try and hunt.

Baboons are very challenging to hunt. It's usually easier to get them when an opportunity arises, as they rarely wait around for you to get set up! I have had some luck in Zimbabwe in getting them in trees as they were eating, and this has the advantage of watching them drop from the tree, which always seems to amuse my trackers to no end. The trackers also seem to enjoy posing the baboons for pictures in unusual poses, often with cigarettes in their mouth! Never had the reason for that explained to me . . .

Royal;

Have not seen the EC yet unfortunately but, been there done that with the ruined stalk thing, from the "primate spy factor" further inland.
Ruining a stalk is bad enough but, the thing that makes my trigger finger twitch is that they seem to focus much of their efforts in destroying the pigmy antelope population, especially Klipspringer.
If I lived in Africa, I would strive to dedicate a scoped .243 or similar caliber, to the task of thinning those opposable thumbed/toed, barking creeps out a bit.

The trackers also seem to enjoy posing the baboons for pictures in unusual poses, often with cigarettes in their mouth! Never had the reason for that explained to me . . .

I don't know, maybe it's my strange sense of humor but I wouldn't needed explained to me. It's just funny. This image that someone posted here just cracks me up.

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Bes part of that was is that the hunter can't keep from smiling.

Neat post and photos.

Thanks

I am just fascinated by the creatures. I wish that I had spent some time chasing them or when I did have the opportunity that I would have taken it.

I am just fascinated by the creatures. I wish that I had spent some time chasing them or when I did have the opportunity that I would have taken it.

In the EC that could be some long range fun for sure....

Last edited:
Baboons are the devil to hunt, if they come up on you and they don't know you are there, let loose and take a shot....otherwise it seems like a snipers affair to try to take them. They are always moving! Baboons are incredibly intelligent and devious.

Reactions: lcq
i will be going to the eastern cape next year and baboons are a secondary target. my primary targets with be cape buffalo and warthog but if i even get the slightest chance at a baboon i will take it. thankfully my dad will be bringing a 30-06 that will be sighted in for long range affairs.

-matt

I don't know, maybe it's my strange sense of humor but I wouldn't needed explained to me. It's just funny. This image that someone posted here just cracks me up.

I agree - a great picture! I bet the idea for the picture came from the tracker!

Here's another one - I shot this guy in Zim a few years ago - hope you can see the cigarette!

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 114
i will be going to the eastern cape next year and baboons are a secondary target. my primary targets with be cape buffalo and warthog but if i even get the slightest chance at a baboon i will take it. thankfully my dad will be bringing a 30-06 that will be sighted in for long range affairs.

-matt
I want to see a pic of a baboon that you take a head shot on, with that .505 Gibbs. :)

Matt;
From my limited experience, the best and in fact only gun to shoot baboons with, when an opportunity presents itself.... Is the one in your hands at the time. The 505 may just have to do.

Reactions: lcq
the 505 gibbs would probably be good to about 125 yards with a standard 600gr load. but after that i think the rate of drop would make the shot a little difficult. with a 50 yard zero id have 2" of drop at 125 yards according to Hornady's ballistic calculator. on an impressive note, the 505 Gibbs is still carrying 4250 ft/lbs of energy at 125 yards. :eek:

-matt

You thinned a few out. Be ready for the repeat when you come home again.
Maybe they'll learn what your bakkie looks like as you drive in. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.