Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
Hi all,

I'd like to get some information from any members who may know something about the model and history of this rifle I’ve had for a number of years, some photos of which accompany this post.

I have a BSA .22 Hornet and as far as I know it’s still in original condition from manufacture. It’s baffled me for years to find out it’s model and date of manufacture, as has everyone else I’ve shown this rifle to. So, I’d like to post up here a brief outline of the information I know in the hope some of you may solve this puzzle.

As present I know I’m at least its’ 3rd and - current - 5th owner. A brief overview of it is that the stock has a Monte Carlo cheek piece, and Schnabel fore-end. The pistol grip cap and butt plate are intact and are as originally fitted BSA items. The barrel is also original, deduced from the matching “BNP” stampings on it and the side of the receiver ring. The barrel has also been machined with a muzzle brake. It is fitted with iron sights, the 3-leaf rear sight currently removed to accommodate a Weaver 6-24x scope. The base for the rear sight has been manufactured as part of the barrel. The action is a Mauser type with - in my opinion, an enormously oversized extractor claw for this calibre – a recessed bolt face. Uniquely – because I’ve never seen it on this calibre before – this rifle has been furnished with a hinged floorplate! All the .22 Hornet rifles I’ve seen have either been single shot, or fitted with detachable box magazines. Whether the hinged floor-plate is original, or a later modification I don’t know, but it looks original to me.

My association with this rifle began when my brother bought it second hand from a dealer in the early 1980’s. Ten years later he progressed to a .223 Rem, allowing me to buy this rifle off him. Anecdotally he later told me he had offered the rifle to a known gunsmith, whose response was that he’d gladly exchange any rifle in his current stock for it. My brother, realising this rifle was pretty rare declined the offer. After a further 10years I sold it to a friend, who then sold it back to me after he progressed on to a 6.5x55. Having myself later moved on to the .223 Rem, this rifle still gives sterling service as it’s now used by my daughter to snipe rabbits over their burrows. As a hunting rifle, in the right conditions, it is a delight to use and consistently gives tack-hole groups out to a 100yds. As such, it’s taken a large number rabbits, foxes, wild goats and a few fallow deer as well. It is also extremely effective on wild pigeons at water holes, as the 42gr projectiles cause a devastatingly explosive impact after the pigeons have drunk their fill.

Again, if any members can provide me with any information or leads to pursue further, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.
20180122_152436.jpg
20180122_152533.jpg
20180122_153121.jpg
20180122_153353.jpg
20180122_164550.jpg

Very cool rifle! I hope you are able to get more information about it.

A muzzle brake on a 22 Hornet? I wonder why.

My very unqualified opinion and I can’t fimd it in any of my books...But I believe the B.S.A. stands for Birmingham Small Arms Co and was manufactured in Britain. It’s probebly Enfield action or some variation thereof. They went out of business in the early 70’s but during their time
they manufactured lots of small caliber rifles and many as military training rifles, which might explain the muzzle brake...
That’s all I got.... Hopefully someone else will have more...

Very cool rifle! I hope you are able to get more information about it.
Yes! It's a superbly machined rifle. A lot of thought went into producing it, which makes it a real joy just to look at and appreciate!

My very unqualified opinion and I can’t fimd it in any of my books...But I believe the B.S.A. stands for Birmingham Small Arms Co and was manufactured in Britain. It’s probebly Enfield action or some variation thereof. They went out of business in the early 70’s but during their time
they manufactured lots of small caliber rifles and many as military training rifles, which might explain the muzzle brake...
That’s all I got.... Hopefully someone else will have more...
Thanks. At least I now have a last date of manufacture!

BNP under a crown is the mark of the Birmingham proof house since 1954.
Thanks. I didn't know that. BMP on both receiver and barrel indicates the barrel is probably the original item.

Birmingham Small Arms was formed in the 1860's and the original company went under in the 1970's. Have no idea if someone has picked up the company name since. They built everything from guns to motorcycles (even Daimler automobiles), and were the first large manufacturer in the UK to apply assembly-line practices and interchangeable parts to their production - including guns. They produced a bajillion target rifles between the wars and shortly thereafter on martini henry actions. They also assembled a sturdy line of mauser bolt actions - eventually, I believe, using then Yugoslav production. They pop up on the auction sites regularly and are typically a good buy. Their shotguns hoped to be the "model 21" of the UK, but most are pretty awful compared to the basic sporting guns already coming out of the Birmingham trade. They never developed much of a following.

Your Hornet is a late production rifle. The brake serves no purpose other than to look cool on a "modern" seventies era rifle - which I suppose it would to folks discovering Star Trek and the like for the first time.. The action looks to be a mini- mauser 22 centerfire action very similar to what CZ was putting on their small rifles (the Fox) at the time and may have been outsourced from them. The stock may or may not be original. If there is a marking on the buttplate, it will tell you.

These are all very serviceable guns (well maybe not the shotguns). :Shamefullyembarrased: :Finger:

As usual @Red Leg nailed the history of the company! I would like to add a bit for you older bike enthusiasts. BSA motorcycles was the primary competitor for Triumph bikes in the 1960s. Before the Japanese bikes really took off, the BSA and Triumph 500 s and 650 s were the "big" bikes without jumping onto a Harley which were 900 cc Sporsters and the 74 CI full dressers. Around 70-71 both BSA and Triumph came out with triple cylinder 750 s. Shortly after both went out of business (at least in the U.S.) BSA bikes remained out of business at least to my knowledge. Triumph Motorcycles were reborn around 20 years ago and are still available today as far as I know.

As usual @Red Leg nailed the history of the company! I would like to add a bit for you older bike enthusiasts. BSA motorcycles was the primary competitor for Triumph bikes in the 1960s. Before the Japanese bikes really took off, the BSA and Triumph 500 s and 650 s were the "big" bikes without jumping onto a Harley which were 900 cc Sporsters and the 74 CI full dressers. Around 70-71 both BSA and Triumph came out with triple cylinder 750 s. Shortly after both went out of business (at least in the U.S.) BSA bikes remained out of business at least to my knowledge. Triumph Motorcycles were reborn around 20 years ago and are still available today as far as I know.
I remember the "Beezers" from the mid-60's. We knew they were high quality bikes because the oil puddle under them was usually smaller than that under Triumphs. I would have given my eye teeth for either one. Unfortunately my budget kept me on a Yamaha Touring bike.

Hi all,

I'd like to get some information from any members who may know something about the model and history of this rifle I’ve had for a number of years, some photos of which accompany this post.

I have a BSA .22 Hornet and as far as I know it’s still in original condition from manufacture. It’s baffled me for years to find out it’s model and date of manufacture, as has everyone else I’ve shown this rifle to. So, I’d like to post up here a brief outline of the information I know in the hope some of you may solve this puzzle.

As present I know I’m at least its’ 3rd and - current - 5th owner. A brief overview of it is that the stock has a Monte Carlo cheek piece, and Schnabel fore-end. The pistol grip cap and butt plate are intact and are as originally fitted BSA items. The barrel is also original, deduced from the matching “BNP” stampings on it and the side of the receiver ring. The barrel has also been machined with a muzzle brake. It is fitted with iron sights, the 3-leaf rear sight currently removed to accommodate a Weaver 6-24x scope. The base for the rear sight has been manufactured as part of the barrel. The action is a Mauser type with - in my opinion, an enormously oversized extractor claw for this calibre – a recessed bolt face. Uniquely – because I’ve never seen it on this calibre before – this rifle has been furnished with a hinged floorplate! All the .22 Hornet rifles I’ve seen have either been single shot, or fitted with detachable box magazines. Whether the hinged floor-plate is original, or a later modification I don’t know, but it looks original to me.

My association with this rifle began when my brother bought it second hand from a dealer in the early 1980’s. Ten years later he progressed to a .223 Rem, allowing me to buy this rifle off him. Anecdotally he later told me he had offered the rifle to a known gunsmith, whose response was that he’d gladly exchange any rifle in his current stock for it. My brother, realising this rifle was pretty rare declined the offer. After a further 10years I sold it to a friend, who then sold it back to me after he progressed on to a 6.5x55. Having myself later moved on to the .223 Rem, this rifle still gives sterling service as it’s now used by my daughter to snipe rabbits over their burrows. As a hunting rifle, in the right conditions, it is a delight to use and consistently gives tack-hole groups out to a 100yds. As such, it’s taken a large number rabbits, foxes, wild goats and a few fallow deer as well. It is also extremely effective on wild pigeons at water holes, as the 42gr projectiles cause a devastatingly explosive impact after the pigeons have drunk their fill.

Again, if any members can provide me with any information or leads to pursue further, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.View attachment 214963 View attachment 214964 View attachment 214965 View attachment 214966 View attachment 214967

I love the caliber. BSA gives you rifle that not many people have. I know BSA made a 458 on a Mauser action. A few were bought in east africa to replace the older British calibers when ammo wasn't readily available. My guess is they were the most affordable 458 in EA and time. As I recall they were fairly light weight and well thought of.

I remember the "Beezers" from the mid-60's. We knew they were high quality bikes because the oil puddle under them was usually smaller than that under Triumphs. I would have given my eye teeth for either one. Unfortunately my budget kept me on a Yamaha Touring bike.

Funny, you bring back a memory, about the oil leaks on those Triumphs.:D

Birmingham Small Arms was formed in the 1860's and the original company went under in the 1970's. Have no idea if someone has picked up the company name since. They built everything from guns to motorcycles (even Daimler automobiles), and were the first large manufacturer in the UK to apply assembly-line practices and interchangeable parts to their production - including guns. They produced a bajillion target rifles between the wars and shortly thereafter on martini henry actions. They also assembled a sturdy line of mauser bolt actions - eventually, I believe, using then Yugoslav production. They pop up on the auction sites regularly and are typically a good buy. Their shotguns hoped to be the "model 21" of the UK, but most are pretty awful compared to the basic sporting guns already coming out of the Birmingham trade. They never developed much of a following.

Your Hornet is a late production rifle. The brake serves no purpose other than to look cool on a "modern" seventies era rifle - which I suppose it would to folks discovering Star Trek and the like for the first time.. The action looks to be a mini- mauser 22 centerfire action very similar to what CZ was putting on their small rifles (the Fox) at the time and may have been outsourced from them. The stock may or may not be original. If there is a marking on the buttplate, it will tell you.

These are all very serviceable guns (well maybe not the shotguns). :Shamefullyembarrased: :Finger:

Great information as always. Thanks.

I had three very nice BSA's starting with a C15 250cc that went way faster than I later learned it should. I built a custom round a 67 Spitfire motor that we fully built with cast iron oil pump and end fed mains for a completely oil tight bike and then restored a 67 Thunderbolt. I was one of those guys that saw BSA come up in lights if I shut my eyes. Had all the history books on the company but they are long gone now.
Just like other BSA products that rifle is a little stunner. I had three hornets over the years although none were BSA's and know how effective the wee hornet can be. I eventually went to the 20 VarTarg for my small game rifle and have never regreted the move.

Hi all,

Again, if any members can provide me with any information or leads to pursue further, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.View attachment 214963 View attachment 214964 View attachment 214965 View attachment 214966 View attachment 214967
@Timbo
If my memory serves me correctly it was introduced in limited numbers in the late 70s. That stupid muzzle brake was on the lightweight Hunter
in 243 a nd 308 but was quickly sawn off or taken to a gunsmith for removal.
Yes the hinged floor plate is original and quite a unique feature of this rifle. I looked at one identical to yours in 79 or 80 but ended up with a 22/250 788 instead. The price was right and the speed craze was in full swing.
Your brother is correct in saying it is a valuable rifle as so few were made.
Found this for you I hope it helps.
Screenshot_20210329-072936_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-072922_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-072910_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210329-072852_Drive.jpg

Bob

@sierraone
you forgot the best bikes ever made the Norton especially the Norton Commando.
Bob

These rifles were introduced in the 50's, not the 70's. I have one coming right now that looks very similar to the OP rifle, same style, but in 7x57 and no fish gill brake, which was a fairly common feature on the lightweight models especially in .30-06.
Early ones like this one used the Mauser extractor and they later went to push feed.
I will post up pix when I have mine in hand, possibly tomorrow or the next day. I actually have a set of Parker Hale rings that are said to fit these rifles.
It currently has a one piece Redfield base fitted to it with a TV screen Redfield 1.75-5X scope on it. I dont like those so called wide angel scopes, just a gimmick so it will be coming off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you