Bad News For The Selous

Look at a map of Tanzania that shows the National Parks and Game Reserves. Tanzania has much more land allocated to wildlife than most countries.

As hunters we are disappointed that a dam is being built in the game reserve.

However, the Selous GR covers 50,000sk. The Stiegler's Gorge Dam will cover 1,200sk. Therefore only 1/40 of the Selous GR will be covered by the reservoir.

As a comparison, the reservoir behind the Stiegler Dam will be apx. 22% the size of Lake Kariba.

Most hydroelectric projects end up destroying man's cultural and historic sites. Probably none more than Aswan High and Three Gorges.

We in the first world have already destroyed our cultural sites with dams, yet we try to salve our conscience by requiring third world countries to not destroy their sites, inadvertently keeping those countries from attaining the same standard of living we have.

The Tanzanians I have talked to think the dam will be beneficial to themselves and their children. The cost of progress can be high, but if we were a subsistence farmer in rural Tanzania and this might provide our children with a light bulb to read by, a hotplate to cook with, a mini-fridge for the village to keep medicines, a charging station for phones, a source of fresh water in the dry season etc. I wonder how we would feel.

According to the UN, Tanzania will be the sixth most populous nation in the world in 2100. This in an area the size of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and just as arid. This won't be the last decision that affects wildlife in Tanzania.

Tanz has had some huge natural gas discoveries (so has Moz) in recent years that will create a lot of wealth, jobs and investments. Makes you wonder why they want to expand hydro too.

Good point. In time this may work out for Tanzania.

Last I heard TANESCO, the national electric company owed tens if not hundreds of millions in past due bills to natural gas providers. Thus some of their gas powered electrical plants are standing idle. TIA!

"He did it too! He hit me first!".....reminds me of middle school.....No, there is no harm in making suggestions based on our prior mistakes. We don't "require" anything of African countries. The Western World does, however, funnel in 100's of millions of dollars to them. Two thirds of this amount is said to be measurable in off-shore accounts within three years.........Perhaps the dam will help....allow them to exceed their goal......become the third or fourth most populous country on Earth........It is no one's fault, it just IS....FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross