Backup Rifle for Plains Game Hunt

craigp

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Us, Canada, South Afrcia
Does anyone take a backup rifle on their plains game hunts? I am booked for RSA in 2011 and plan on using my Winchester 70 XTR in 300 Wby mag as my primary rifle. On all my other hunting trips I have always taken 2 guns with one serving as a backup. What do you guys do? The PH does offer rentals for those not wanting to bring their own rifles, so I am thinking the second rifle will be unnecessary. Of course I much prefer hunting with my own rifles. So what says the board, take just my primary rifle or include my 2nd rifle to use as a backup?

Craig

I would be comfortable with one.

Your only worry would be damage,and if in a proper case that would be minimized.

Bolt out, wrapped sparate, and in the case would prevent most problems.

I would take two

I am planning my second safari for 2011 and I will be taking two rifles. I believe it is just too far to be away from home NOT to have a backup gun. Most likely, you won't need it. But, in case you do, you will want to use your own rifle and not borrow one from the PH. I'm sure there will be a few extra rifles in camp, but I know I would rather use a rifle that I was comfortable and familiar with. I am taking a 300 WIN MAG and a 270 WSM.

In Craig Boddington's book, depending on what you are going for, he would recommend a 375 H&H and a 30-06 as a big / medium arsenal. I used a 270 Win in 2008 and took two zebra, an impala, a kudu, a warthog, gemsbuck, and an eland. I only felt "under-gunned" when I was putting the scope on the eland. I never had an episode where I thought I needed a second gun, but I am planning on having one next year. You know what they say about Murphy's Law??!!

Craig

The .300 Wby Mag is a caliber enough to take all your plains game with the right choice of grainages. you have the luxury to carry your rifles abroad for hunts.
We here in India just take ouselves and the will to hunt and have to borrow rifles from the outfits bcse of of our countrys arms law, my all fine rifles are put to use only on a target shoots on saturday afteroons.

Happy Hunting !!!

Monish

Craig ,
The 300 Wby Mag is more than enough for plains game here in South Africa. At your arrival , you will have the oppurtunity to make sure your rifles Zero and Point of Aim has not moved. But , one rifle will be sufficient.

Kind Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg