'Back Up' Scope choices for a Plains Game Safari- 7mm Mag

bls72bmw

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Gents,
As it is now trying to get time to go to S.A. next year for a plains game hunt.

Currently using a Win 70 with a 'Nichols' brand 4x12 adjustable scope, mounted in some quick detach rings.

I thought I'd grab a decent, middle priced, scope to take along should the first have any problems.

What are some suggestions for another optic in a reasonable price range?
Ideally I'd like to stay in the 200-400$ range since this will be a back-up and ideally not used much. I thought it might be better to go on the lower side of the 4x12 power range- for any brush areas that might pop up, but not sure.

Thanks.

Bls - you are about to make a major investment in a hunt, the success or failure of which will ride on your equipment. A Winchester Model 70 is a fine rifle. Nichols scopes run around $25 - $50 on the used scope market. That means you have a $25 - $50 rifle for your a hunt of a lifetime. I would suggest buying a Leupold or even a Nikon in the price range you suggest and then make the Nichols your "back-up" if you feel like you need to take a second scope.

Bls - you are about to make a major investment in a hunt, the success or failure of which will ride on your equipment. A Winchester Model 70 is a fine rifle. Nichols scopes run around $25 - $50 on the used scope market. That means you have a $25 - $50 rifle for your a hunt of a lifetime. I would suggest buying a Leupold or even a Nikon in the price range you suggest and then make the Nichols your "back-up" if you feel like you need to take a second scope.

Wow, that is great way to state what your rifle is worth with bad optics. Well stated!

+1. Buy one of the Nikon Monarch series and make the Nichols your backup.

If you are concerned about scope failure and the likelihood of switching, I would also suggest you take along enough of your ammo to ensure that you can re-sight your rifle.

Put on a Leuopold scope, rings & bases..... You will have no issues. Plus, lifetime warranty. No hassles... EVER! American made too!

Ahhhhh, Well thanks! I had NO IDEA the Nichols brand was such a dog. I bought the scope "maybe" 15 years ago and WWWWWwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy overpaid for it. I think it was like $199 at the time.
Thank you for "politely enlightening" me. One of the nice things on this forum, folks are downright polite.

So how about some more thoughts on Brand, Model, and Power/Objective. I am new to big/medium game hunting and have always used open sights on rifles for the last 30 years shooting Military Rifles (Garands, ARs, etc).

Consider the Leuopold VX-1, 2 or 3 depending upon your budget. The 3-9x50 is a pretty dang good "all-round" scope. The 1 is the least expensive, then the 2, then the 3..... There are a lot of great scopes out there right now. Even Zeiss has an entry level 3-9x40 that starts out around $350 or so. I go with Leuopold personally.

All Good choices,,I have Nikon and Leupold and think their top Notch,,Might even look int a Vortex,,great Optics and warranty

While I agree with most on this thread about the Leupold and Nikon, another option is to look and the Vortex scopes. I have three that I really enjoy. Good glass at a reasonable price. Specifically take a look at the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. It is one of the mid level scopes that Vortex offers. I purchased mine from Camera Land New York ( Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY ). They offer different reticles to choose from included BDC. Camera Land has some special prices on this scope that you will be hard pressed to beat somewhere else. Once the scope was ordered, I received it in less than a week. I also have Leupold and Nikon, again both great choices! Either way, you are the one that has to be happy with your choice of scope. Remember, just because some people are willing to drop large amount of money on top of the line optics, that does not replace good shooting skills. If you are happy with your optics and can hit what you are aiming at, that is what counts and puts the animals on the ground.

Lots of good choices out there. I think that if I were you I would try to get into a Cabelas or other large sporting goods store and look through several different brand of scopes. Your scope was a decent scope when bought. The technology has progressed since you bought it. Some of the newer glass will be better than what you now have. By all means use what you are comfortable with. I would take a close look at the Ziess Conquest in the 3X9X42. The coatings are better than the Nikons and about anything else in their price point. They also,make a 4X12 if you decide to make it your primary scope. I have used the Leupolds and Nikons and they are nice. The Zeiss is a little better to my eyes. You need to look through some and see what looks best to your eyes.
Best to compare early and late as that's when the most movement of game occurs. Check for glare from the early and late sun. That is where the new coatings shine. That is what sets the Zeiss apart from the others in my opinion.
Do what works best for you, but I'd suggest the new scope as the primary and the old as the back up. Best of luck on your safari. Bruce

I agree with what has been said here but bear in mind I went on one hunt with a $39 Scopechief and it never failed ( I did have my "L" scope as a back up though). Brought back 13 animals with it and it still works good 15 yrs later.

I'm with Red leg on this one.....

My best always

All Good choices,,I have Nikon and Leupold and think their top Notch,,Might even look int a Vortex,,great Optics and warranty
Agree with this,all three these brands will serve you well.

Thanks gentlemen. Going to use the Nichols as the back up- as suggested
I've decided to go with the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 as a good blend of balance on the rifle, eye relief, quality of optic and the numerous positive reviews I've seen everywhere. Went with the #4 reticle as it tends to draw my eye and helps pick up the center in lower light. These were a reasonable $399 new at europtik.com

That's a very good choice and should serve you well. Please post a report and pics when you get back. Lots of good info on AH to help you prepare to go. Best of luck. Bruce

Thanks gentlemen. Going to use the Nichols as the back up- as suggested
I've decided to go with the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 as a good blend of balance on the rifle, eye relief, quality of optic and the numerous positive reviews I've seen everywhere. Went with the #4 reticle as it tends to draw my eye and helps pick up the center in lower light. These were a reasonable $399 new at europtik.com

That is a very good choice for any hunt - Africa or America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross