Back country carry gun

View attachment 370937

helps to 90% in that case
the rest is destiny

@Hunter 475...
respect- 50 m is enormous
A slingshot?
Now I am sure you're just screwing around with us.
Next picture will surely be 40 grit sandpaper and a Swiss army knife.

I am unimpressed with X ring accuracy at any distance when it is not qualified. He could be shooting a 1,000 yard rifle target at that distance. I believe that a good shooter is never forced to apologize for not being able to shoot a particular platform well.

Better a powerful semi-auto (Glock 20 in 10mm or Springfield V16 in 45 Super) shooting Buffalo Bore hardcast that we shoot well, than a heavy revolver in a larger caliber that we don't. If the handgun is relatively light (compared to a 44 Mag or 454 Casuul) and compact, you're more likely to always have it on you. For those of you who shoot revolvers routinely, well and are used to carrying them, they are a better choice.
I suppose you are correct with the power of the revolver, however I look at the return to battery time as we have termed it in other threads as well. I do not wish to take a single action as something that I may be using in a flash waking from a dead sleep. A compact such as the Glock 29 or even a snubnose revolver fights better out of a sleeping bag. Also look at how well you use it from your mom dominant hand. You're never certain that the waking won't be at a cost to the function of the dominant arm or hand. Pistols with rails also mount lights and lasers well for night time use. The combination of a zeroed laser with a weapon mounted light is formidable.

You know every time I have somebody enlighten me about the likelihood of bear spray protecting me I think back to this video: Warning Screeching Greenie... earplugs recommended...

This woman literally begging the bear to stop chewing on her kayak, is exactly what our children grow up to be like, when we allow them to be brain washed by cartoons and other Hollywood nonsense, that depicts animals as “fuzzy people that we can reason with”.

Oh yeah, I’m +1 for regarding bear spray as marginal in perfect weather conditions.
In windy weather conditions ..... right.

My cousin stopped this wounded bear charge this year with his Glock 20. I asked if he was happy with the glock. He said if he only had 5 rounds and more recoil to manage it probably would have ended poorly. We also train a lot with that gun. Over 1000 rounds before that hunt.
View attachment 370752

A great example of shot placement and even better example of how to achieve that shot placement. That is an adventure!

I suppose you are correct with the power of the revolver, however I look at the return to battery time as we have termed it in other threads as well. I do not wish to take a single action as something that I may be using in a flash waking from a dead sleep. A compact such as the Glock 29 or even a snubnose revolver fights better out of a sleeping bag. Also look at how well you use it from your mom dominant hand. You're never certain that the waking won't be at a cost to the function of the dominant arm or hand. Pistols with rails also mount lights and lasers well for night time use. The combination of a zeroed laser with a weapon mounted light is formidable.

My guide on my brown bear hunt in upper Togiak lake had a chest holster for his 44 Mag revolver. As we settled into our sleeping bags we could hear the bears 30 feet away fishing for salmon. He showed me his revolver. I asked how he was going to get to it when a 1000 lb bear collapsed our tent on us. It's definitely better than a sharp stick. I have Tritium low profile sights on my 1911 in 45 Super. I don't want it to snag on anything if I have to draw it in the dark. Here's Jason, a fabulous guide, in our "bear proof" tent, and the gorgeous lake 30 feet away. We had bears in camp on a regular basis, it's amazing how quiet they are in a crunchy forest given their size.

9UXwiNa.jpg
CNWp3zo.jpg
Jmbotrd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an old thread, but there are one or two disadvantages to an auto as Bear defense. One would be if contact was made with the gun an auto can go out of battery & not fire. The second might be if you’re being dragged out of your tent in a sleeping bag, a revolver might not jam as an auto possibly will.

as for bear spray, the bear darn well better be downwind. A gun doesn’t care which way the wind is blowing.

This is an old thread, but there are one or two disadvantages to an auto as Bear defense. One would be if contact was made with the gun an auto can go out of battery & not fire. The second might be if you’re being dragged out of your tent in a sleeping bag, a revolver might not jam as an auto possibly will.

as for bear spray, the bear darn well better be downwind. A gun doesn’t care which way the wind is blowing.
Your first scenario is definitely a real one. Autos do go out of battery on a contact shot. The second scenario is a fabrication of gun writers. An auto is essentially the most simple form of a linear bearing possible with a spring loaded ejector, a sear and a hammer/hammer spring and a solid camming barrel. A revolver has all the simplicity of a swiss watch. It is a very complex, timed piece of machinery with a lot of little fragile parts. The only reason it is capable of the power it is, is because of the length of the cylinder. Autos have very high breach strength (evidenced by the capacity to shoot the .460 Rowland or other very high pressure cartridges with a simple barrel swap. I would say that, given good ammunition, a good auto is statistically more reliable than a revolver. Now this is all just looking at it from a mechanical standpoint and not quoting any statistics. I think STATISICALLY, neither is apt to let you down at the critical moment.

I second what Saul said about the Ruger SP101. I've been carrying one with the 3 1/8" barrel for over 20 years. Great little gun!!

I carried a Smith & Wesson mountain gun in .44 mag fishing when I lived in Alaska. They shoot well and are reasonably light.
I also use a S&W 629 Mountain Gun in 44 Magnum with a rubber Pachmyr grip, which helps with recoil and doesn't slip in my hand when shooting. Mine is an accurate gun and I can shoot at 50 yards fairly effectively.

Your first scenario is definitely a real one. Autos do go out of battery on a contact shot. The second scenario is a fabrication of gun writers. An auto is essentially the most simple form of a linear bearing possible with a spring loaded ejector, a sear and a hammer/hammer spring and a solid camming barrel. A revolver has all the simplicity of a swiss watch. It is a very complex, timed piece of machinery with a lot of little fragile parts. The only reason it is capable of the power it is, is because of the length of the cylinder. Autos have very high breach strength (evidenced by the capacity to shoot the .460 Rowland or other very high pressure cartridges with a simple barrel swap. I would say that, given good ammunition, a good auto is statistically more reliable than a revolver. Now this is all just looking at it from a mechanical standpoint and not quoting any statistics. I think STATISICALLY, neither is apt to let you down at the critical moment.
Actually I meant having to fire from inside the bag where ejection & slide function could be impaired. A revolvers hammer could catch too, not ideal shooting conditions for either.

Actually I meant having to fire from inside the bag where ejection & slide function could be impaired. A revolvers hammer could catch too, not ideal shooting conditions for either.
Ahhhh ok. Yeah from a sleeping bag, I would conjecture that is the worst possible scenario. not only are you still mostly asleep, you're wrapped in, for all intents and purposes, a straight jacket. Something like a boxlock howdah would be the perfect tool for the job in that scenario. Nothing to hang up and two shots... about all your going to get. A hammerless revolver with a hammer shroud in .357 would also work pretty well. you'd be shooting the animal anywhere you could.

Ahhhh ok. Yeah from a sleeping bag, I would conjecture that is the worst possible scenario. not only are you still mostly asleep, you're wrapped in, for all intents and purposes, a straight jacket. Something like a boxlock howdah would be the perfect tool for the job in that scenario. Nothing to hang up and two shots... about all your going to get. A hammerless revolver with a hammer shroud in .357 would also work pretty well. you'd be shooting the animal anywhere you could.
Yea kinda like a bear burrito.

Ruger made marlin SBL 1895 in 45-70.....or the shorter Trapper version.....should sort out any issues in the back country....short handy lots of punch and if you sling it correctly should not be in the way yet easily accessable....

I couldn't even shoot myself with my left hand lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!