Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA
Hunted
USA, RSA
I'm considering a Ruger Alaskan vs S&W 69 - both in .44 Magnum. The Ruger is about $200 more - do you guys think it's worth it?

I'm in AZ, but I do find myself hiking in Montana usually once each summer.

Any idea which you shoot best? Rugers are often easier to shoot because they are heavier.
I carry a 357 mag S&W with 180gr or Glock 23 40 S&W with 200gr. Im comfortable with either along with a can of bear spray.
I cannot comfortably control a 44 mag S&W.

I carried a Smith & Wesson mountain gun in .44 mag fishing when I lived in Alaska. They shoot well and are reasonably light.

I own the S&W 69 it fits me perfectly and shoots like a dream even with 300gr. Swift A-Frame factory ammo.
I had the barrel Mag-na-ported.
I carry it in a drop leg thigh holster and wear it all day running hounds after Mountain lions with no problems.

I'm considering a Ruger Alaskan vs S&W 69 - both in .44 Magnum. The Ruger is about $200 more - do you guys think it's worth it?

I'm in AZ, but I do find myself hiking in Montana usually once each summer.
if 44 mag is your choice i like the s&w trail boss.
004 (3).JPG

One of the grand mysteries of life is when I see a fella going out hunting with a rifle and then I see a great big giant hog leg attached to his hip.

And if the conditions present themselves just right I do ask why.

Amazingly, Many is the woods walking squires who say ," in case the rifle breaks".

The next amazement comes from hikers carrying something that just doesn't go with shorts and a tee shirt and that is .the same 3 and 1/4 ton hog leg that makes out enjoyer of nature walk lopsided by noon.

And with that most can't put 6 in a pie tin at 25 yards.

Carry something you can hit with, like a 17 glock or other high cap pistol.

A good hit with a 9 is better then a miss with a boomer.

I like my 329 PD S&W. I have a ruger Alaskan in 454 and it shoots good. It is heavy as hell though. I bought it when it first came out, when it arrived I was surprised at the weight and it never really grew on me.
The 329 is super light and a good shooter. You forget it’s on you but always know it’s there.
Another packing gun that I really like is the 2-1/2” Redhawk in 41 Mag. The guys at the office bought it for me last year for my bday and I love it. I am kind of partial to the 41 though.
BD2989C9-959A-46A6-AA2D-BC5F2F852685.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the grand mysteries of life is when I see a fella going out hunting with a rifle and then I see a great big giant hog leg attached to his hip.

And if the conditions present themselves just right I do ask why.

Amazingly, Many is the woods walking squires who say ," in case the rifle breaks".

The next amazement comes from hikers carrying something that just doesn't go with shorts and a tee shirt and that is .the same 3 and 1/4 ton hog leg that makes out enjoyer of nature walk lopsided by noon.

And with that most can't put 6 in a pie tin at 25 yards.

Carry something you can hit with, like a 17 glock or other high cap pistol.

A good hit with a 9 is better then a miss with a boomer.
a good hit with a boomer is better than a good hit with a 9mm.

a good hit with a boomer is better than a good hit with a 9mm.

Most definitely no argument here.

The same reasoning goes with professional boxing.

Yes! One of my Mott is " bigger,better, faster, stronger" UNLESS someone just can't hit with it, the he would be well served to get something he is more comfortable with.

A few weeks ago I too a 500 s&w to the range, put a target up at ,50 feet, put 5 rounds in the cylinder, took aim and hit the x in the center of the target. The other 4 bullet went where they wanted to go.....and it wasn't on the paper. This week it was 3 in and two that hopefully stayed in the atmosphere.

Maybe some day I will hold all 5 within 6 inches at 50 like I can with my cz shadow.....then again..maybe not.

Excellent advice everyone - many thanks

As suggested check out the 329 pd, riding the back country of Idaho and MT years ago always carried a Colt Anaconda [44mag] in a cross draw holster. When the 329 became available I got one and practiced weekly with handloads. My load for both guns was a 300 gr cast with gas check. Pretty stiff in the 329 but with the practice I switched to the 329.
First two chambers —snake loads then 4 lead cast loads.
Shot some snakes never had to use it otherwise but because of the weight it was always with me.

Well I'll be dipped...

Yesterday I went to the range with that giant door battering ram ( S&W 500) around 1100 and put 24 out of 25 into a 6 inch plate at 50 feet. All fired single action. 500 grain rounds.

Does my hand hurt? Why yes it does, as my right palm is swollen slightly this morning. Was it fun? Actually, no, not even a little bit, but seeing I have two i figured I'd give them a try.

I now plan on machining some 350 grain expanding bullets for it and see how they work out. They still be bore riders with driving bands.

It's never the popular opinion on a gun forum, but bear spray has proven time and time again to be far more effective in saving your life than any handgun. That being said, I'm not sure how they work in the dead of winter; it may very well be the exception to the rule.

Ruger vs Smith?
Between myself and my dad, we have owned 4 ruger handguns and 1 Smith. 3 of the 4 rugers have been to the factory and 2 of the 3 still are not right. Personally I think Rugers make really good clubs. As to really good guns, ehh...

The only problem my Smith 60 had was the front sight screw was loose with no loctite.

My personal experience says Smith & Weson

I love wheel guns, but a Glock 20 with some buffalo bore 220g hard cast is my preferred choice for what you are describing.

But buck to you OP, I have both of those revolvers and I would say the Ruger would be my choice. Even if the 629 was a pre-lock, but without a doubt if it was not.

I started carrying 3" gp100, but went back to the 686 plus. My grip just preferred the S&W. Nothing against the GP100, and I'll still use it when needed. However, my vote is for the smith in 44, just my .02

So I "back country" in a different part of the world. My everyday South Texas "ranch" gun is a S&W Mountain Lite Revolver in .357. The ammo weighs about as much as this Titanium seven-shooter. I have fired 158 gr .357 rounds through it - once. It is ideal with five .38 +P's and two shot rounds. I can handle everything from rattlesnakes, through a rabid fox or coyote, to bubba off the highway. Most importantly, I don't even know I am carrying it.

Oh my,

Ok! I went shooting that gigantic 500 S&W today off of my sticks and to tell you the truth, I stunk on ice, and if a pilot flew a plane the way I shot there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he couldn get a job flying rubber dog rockets and barf out of Hong Kong in a 40' s transport that was held together with 50 cent a roll duct tape.

At 50 yards I hit a 6" plate 3 out of 5 times and at 100 yards I went 0 for 5. I didn't shoot any more after that.

Is it possible that at this advanced stage in my life that my testosterone doesn't pump like techno music at a disco any more? Have I turned into a girly man? Will I start referring to Bruce Jenner as Kaitlin?

As far as small .357s go, hard to beat the Ruger SP101. A true tank of a gun. I am also particularly fond of the S&W model 60LS.

While the 10mm 1911s are certainly potent, I have soured on them as of late. Do not ask me why I am not sure. I just prefer the 9x23 win now so the 10mm has fallen by the wayside.

For the real big critters, I have a .454 Casull which is a bone crusher on both ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg