Back country carry gun

Springfield V16 in 45 Super, Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast at 1100 fps.

0fVzp4R.jpg
PqqTFwi.png

Last edited by a moderator:
But what do you guys carry for a deck gun. This cute little critter was on my deck eating out of our bird feeder

Birdshot in the arse to start with....he will be back....

I'm considering a Ruger Alaskan vs S&W 69 - both in .44 Magnum. The Ruger is about $200 more - do you guys think it's worth it?

I'm in AZ, but I do find myself hiking in Montana usually once each summer.
I have a 2 inch Ruger Alaskan. It shoots accurately and doesn't seem to be too heavy to carry

DrBob,

To answer your question, I live in South Anchorage - Rabbit Creek vicinity.
Give me a shout sometime when you might be in the area and have time.
We can discuss this Back Country Carry Gun thing to tiny bits.

Cheers,
Paul / Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I did not take time to re-read entire thread but I didn’t see it mentioned. I wear my Glock 10mm in a chest holster. If you’re ambushed by a bear or mountain lion and you have your sidearm on your right hip and he grabs you by the right arm you may have trouble getting to it.

I did not take time to re-read entire thread but I didn’t see it mentioned. I wear my Glock 10mm in a chest holster. If you’re ambushed by a bear or mountain lion and you have your sidearm on your right hip and he grabs you by the right arm you may have trouble getting to it.
Haven't thought about being disabled, I'll have to consider my options here. I carry a 1911 in a serpa, Underwood penetrators in .45 ACP. The Glock 10mm is to big for my girly hands. I have a Kimber 1911 in 10mm I do like. However, the 45 is my go to.

Same i couldn't shoot myself with my offhand lol . I guess I'll have to protect my right side.

I was worried about that, now I spend at least 1/3 of my pistol range time left handed. Still not pretty but somewhat functional.
Same i couldn't shoot myself with my offhand lol . I guess I'll have to protect my right side.

A recent event in Alaska.

AK23058909

Type: Bear Mauling DLP
Dispatch Text:

On June 10, 2023, at approximately 20:24, while rabbit hunting north of the Sterling Highway at mile 73.5 Nicholas Abraham Age 34 of Sterling AK was attacked by a sow brown bear with cubs. Abrahams was able to shoot and kill the sow with a 44 handgun. Abrams had non-life-threatening injuries.

Posted on 6/11/2023 6:57:19 AM by DPS\cgjohnson

I choose a revolver over an auto because if you’re in contact with a bear, a revolver worked even jammed into the bear. In this situation a auto can go out of battery & not fire.

I choose a revolver over an auto because if you’re in contact with a bear, a revolver worked even jammed into the bear. In this situation a auto can go out of battery & not fire.
That is a good, often overlooked point. Good luck clearing a jam while a brown bear is on top of you, shaking you like a rag doll from the scalp. But in any less than ideal cartridge for bear killing, an auto with more rounds on tap will still increase your odds of survival over a revolver left in the car because it weighs 4 pounds, or one that you wound and enrage the territorial bear with poor shooting because of the flinch you have developed from massive recoil.

My personal vote is an auto in 10mm with full-house loads, cast lead preferably.

But all things aside, train with what you intend to carry. Owning a handgun doesn't make a person a gunfighter any more than owning a Ferrari makes one a race car driver.

My father told me one time when I asked him about the adequacy of his snub nosed .38 special that he carried when hiking in areas with a lot of black bear, his response was "it's not for the bear..." beats getting eaten alive I guess.

If I think it's possible I'll encounter a bear (upland hiking) I carry a 10mm. If I think I may well encounter a bear ( thick bush) I carry a .44 Mag. If I think it probable I'll encounter a bear (salmon fishing) I carry a .475 Linebaugh.
I believe I've said that before, time for me to quit abusing this dead horse.

I can shoot my 1911 in 45 Super. I familiar with it and decent enough. It's light enough that I don't mind carrying it. If I need more I'll carry my 500 Jeffery.

You know 100+ years ago when gentlemen went to the field in search of really dangerous creatures, it wasnt uncommon for them to have a LARGE Bore handgun. It usually had two barrels and was typically based on a Double Rifle or perhaps SxS (or O/U) Shotgun action. Calibers and cartridges varied; but never under 40 caliber and as large as 577, although actual shotgun rounds (slugs?) werent unheard of...

Today we call them HOWDAH pistols, named after the "saddle" where the hunter rode on the elephant when in search of the worlds largest cat. Perhaps not as heavy as a Brown bear but certainly as dangerous and deadly when attacking, and more to the point FASTER.

The HOWDAH pistols, started as muzzleloaders and progressed to cartridge guns. They were at their height in the exposed hammer days; but continued into the hammerless period. Paper target accuracy wasnt so much a concern, as was ULTIMATE power at a range somewhere between bad breath and contact distances. The most common cartridge versions were in .577 Snider. Sadly there arent any modern cartridge equivalents. At least not in the power range we require for this role. Perhaps it one were to be available in a suitable cartridge, think 45-70 or one of the 50 calibers.

I bring this up because after 12+ pages of "this is my favorite" and "these are popular" and "you need to practice"; I havent heard one suggestion to BRACE and wait for the charge, then SHOOT when you cant miss. Of course 454 and 460 and 500s have serious recoil and are hard to make 5 out 5 hits off hand at 25 yards. Thats not what is required for a charging Bruin; a couple of snap shots at arms length will do. Even a "puny" 44 magnum will stop a charge with a head shot at arms length (ask me how I know).

As for me, I have serious lust for a modern HOWDAH pistol and a modern Howdah power cartridge. Im exploring the possibility of something in 45-70; but Id prefer 50 caliber or larger. I have a couple of ideas that Im working out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross