Back country carry gun

If something smaller than a full sized pistol is in order, Glock model 29. Depending on where and what may be problematic, I'm pushing Underwood 220 grain solids and / or Buffalo Bore JHPs as follows:

Midway USA carries both rounds, keep an eye on availability. Buffalo Bore also makes a 220 grain solid, but Underwood is less coin per round.

NB: very important with these rounds to function test at a minimum, as slide velocity can become an issue which in turn affects chambering. The RSA may need to be upgraded.

Then there is the other side of the spectrum with the Glock model 40 MOS and some extras piled on: Trijicon RMR with 6.5 MOA red dot, KKM compensated barrel, Johnny Glocks evolution combat trigger, and SLR 10mm magazine extensions coupled with their magwell. And so on. And yes...it's a blast. lol

Happy trails, good hunting!

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.24 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.25 AM.png
    625.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.27 AM.png
    644.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.41 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.43 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.54 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.02.56 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.03.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.03.07 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.03.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.03.10 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
I pivoted from a Ruger SRH .480 to a Glock 40 when I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. The one that sold on here got me thinking and looking and it was far easier to aquire both gun and ammo for the 10mm Glock, and far cheaper on both as well- even factoring in already having brass for the .480 and only needing to buy bullets. In the end it probably makes more sense to have this for carry as I will shoot the crap out of it to get really good with it as opposed to a cylinder at a time with the .480. One will certainly still be in my future as it's just plain cool, but for now it didn't make sense. Loving the idea of the 15 shot long slide 10mm though! Plus for the foreseeable future, it's only going to be black bears it may be needed for(highly unlikely) unless I get a moose permit and end up face to face with another one that happens to be worth taking this time. Then it would be a matter of choosing to use it rather than swinging the rifle down that is acting the part of antlers in my off hand. (It works!)

Just spoke to the Springfield Custom Shop, my Springfield V!6 (45 Super) should be back in 2 to 4 weeks. Nothing was wrong with it, but I wanted the original tritium sights back on (no charge) and front strap and back strap 20 lpi checkering. I never missed the checkering until I bought a Springfield Pro. It's so secure in your hand, not having it feels like driving down a curvy road without your seat belt on. It's my backwoods bear and lion gun for sure

The Glock 40 10mm just arrived, along with the shipment of ammo I found on sale- $20/bx (target ammo) and free shipping for 10mm, can't complain about that! Part of the reason I decided to go this route instead. Also found a small ammo manufacturer selling 200gr hard cast bear loads in 10mm at reasonable prices. Shown alongside my GP100 .357
G40 10mm.jpg

Glock 29 is handy and has the likable ability to disappear as necessary. Most people are looking at full size guns for hunting back up here. Consider a moment that your are fishing or hiking or maybe even kayaking and weight matters. If you're already carrying a long gun then you don't care so much, but being able to have a low profile amongst the hippies on the trail has its advantages.

I really like a G29 with 180gr XTP and a light mounted underneath. Ten plus one rounds of, "I'm not asking politely anymore." Night sights for round the clock operation as I find it handy to be able to index the gun positively before adding light to the situation.

My Springfield V16 came back from the Springfield Custom Shop (front and back strap checkering and put new tritium sights on) Love the gun. I carry it concealed in the woods too, just wear tall T-Shirts or hoodies dependent on the weather ...

DRzsfkU.jpg
VIb7FiH.jpg
Y8bVNkd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm still awaiting my Colt Anaconda 4" that they allegedly will be making this year. No shipments yet, but the SKU exists and they did the press releases and NRA videos about it.

Something I didn't think about but should have, and all of you should too:

If we're really talking about a back country carry gun, this is a gun that is fished in, gets snowed on, gets bunched up in damp bins, gets pulled out only so frequently as is required for proficiency, and is probably put back away with minimum tender loving care. So we're talking about stainless guns for the most part, or their modern coating equivelants. Does anyone know if all the guns discussed herein are through-and-through stainless steel, or whether the hammer, sear, springs, and other small bits will prove to be high rust and low reliability?

I can't say that I've taken any of the revolvers apart to ascertain if they are entirely stainless or other rust resistant components. I know Glocks are largely stainless, plastic, and coated products but some of the small parts and pins certainly are not. It would probably behoove a back country user to find stainless small parts kits for their glocks if they intend to neglect them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a handgun guy at all. I don't like them. I don't enjoy shooting them. I own them for their intended purposes, but it is definitely the least likely thing I will upkeep beyond the minimum required to stop a bear or meth-head in a place where help is only hours away.

So I'm still awaiting my Colt Anaconda 4" that they allegedly will be making this year. No shipments yet, but the SKU exists and they did the press releases and NRA videos about it.

Something I didn't think about but should have, and all of you should too:

If we're really talking about a back country carry gun, this is a gun that is fished in, gets snowed on, gets bunched up in damp bins, gets pulled out only so frequently as is required for proficiency, and is probably put back away with minimum tender loving care. So we're talking about stainless guns for the most part, or their modern coating equivelants. Does anyone know if all the guns discussed herein are through-and-through stainless steel, or whether the hammer, sear, springs, and other small bits will prove to be high rust and low reliability?

I can't say that I've taken any of the revolvers apart to ascertain if they are entirely stainless or other rust resistant components. I know Glocks are largely stainless, plastic, and coated products but some of the small parts and pins certainly are not. It would probably behoove a back country user to find stainless small parts kits for their glocks if they intend to neglect them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a handgun guy at all. I don't like them. I don't enjoy shooting them. I own them for their intended purposes, but it is definitely the least likely thing I will upkeep beyond the minimum required to stop a bear or meth-head in a place where help is only hours away.

Like you, handguns are strictly a tool to me. My backcountry carry gun is a stainless S&W Mountain Gun in .44 mag. I don’t know the answer to your question relative to material of manufacture of various parts. What I can say is that this gun rode all over Alaska in a chest holster for years. Saltwater, freshwater, mountains, you name it. In all of that, it was reasonably well maintained, never showed signs of rust, and
maintained 100% functionality.

I'm with Ross Seyfried and shooting a 6 shot .45 Colt wheelgun. S&W Model 25, 4" PacNor barrel, usually loaded with 260gr Partition in front a stiff charge of 296.

Much of the stainless used in firearms is 416 which isn’t a corrosive resistant stainless. It cuts like butter, heat treats without distortion and polishes nice, but does not withstand the elements well. If my memory serves me right, most of the revolver pieces other than the frame, barrel and cylinder are steel, 4340. All that said, unless it is completely degreased and left in the elements for a long time, it won’t have an issue on a hunting trip.

For my work, I carry a Remington 870, as issued by my employer, with Brenneke Black Magic magnums. I have absolute faith in this combination. We (my agency) practice with it. I feel proficient with it.

For my personal trips, I have a Mossberg short barreled 12 gauge with the same Brenneke slugs that I keep in the tent and around camp. Again, I practice with it and feel confident in it.

I have struggled with what I carry on me. For a time I tried to carry a large framed .44 I got a good deal on, but I always found reasons to leave it behind. For the last several years I have carried a S&W .40 in a chest holster. I shoot 200 grain hard cast. I started with Double Tap but in recent years have went with Underwood; it's easier to find up here. It cycles well and does what the numbers on the box say it does. Again, I practice with this.

Is this a perfect solution? NoPe, and I know that. I'm playing the odds a little bit. Most problem bears are the sub-adults. They are a lot smaller and a lot less "bullet proof". Perhaps someday I'll find a larger caliber that's lighter that I enjoy carrying. Normally I'm hunting with someone - which is helpful - and being bear aware is always a priority.

I have always thought two things about this topic. First, it's all theoretical until it needs to be used. Second, whatever you decided to use PRACTICE with it. And not just once.

Two cents from a rural Alaskan who probably hasn't had enough coffee yet today to be sensibly answering online threads.

S&W Model 25 .45 Colt. Won't hold Blackhawk loads but the double action makes up the difference with no cocking the hammer. 325 hard cast @ 1325 fps, recoil is not as sharp as .44 Mag.

Sometimes I get offered “bear guard” contracts, both on mainland Alaska and on research vessels, traveling to the far north Arctic, (Alaska, Canada and Siberia-Russia).
Some employers issue a firearm and ammunition.
It’s usually an 870 Remington 3” magnum, pump shotgun 12 bore, factory rifle sights, with Brenneke 3” magnum rifled slugs.
That is presumably adequate.
I’d hate to be a greasy old bear, receiving accurate hits from same, from anyone who has practiced well with it = getting center his on me, as fast as they could run the weapon with accuracy.

That said, when I contract with any outfit that lets me bring my own firearm, I always bring my Whitworth Model ‘98 Mauser, express sights (wide, shallow “V” rear sight and oversized, large white porcelain bead front sight).
This is sighted in for a 6 o’clock hold at 50 paces, with factory loaded 300 grain Swift A-Frame bullets.

Not many polar bears out on the sea ice or, mainland grizzlies, out on the open tundra are likely to continue even a determined charge, while being smacked with this load, as fast as I can run the bolt, between regaining the sight picture for each hastily aimed shot.
I bet that even under the stress of a full on charge, I’d get the hits.
I’ve so far, not had to find out.
However, I’d wager a large pizza that, I’d win, hands down.

One of my addictions is fly fishing for salmon.
And as such, I have bumped into more grizzly bears than most folks have even seen on television.
For this, flailing about with a fly rod, is very awkward to also keep a rifle handy.
Therefore, I carry a S&W Model 629, 4” barrel, .44 Magnum, loaded with the now discontinued Federal brand, factory loaded 300 grain, hard cast, flat nosed bullets.
Why they call them “Cast Core” remains a mystery, as they are a very hard cast alloy of lead and antimony monolithic bullet = no separate core whatsoever.
Anyway, my revolver has remained sighted in at 25 paces, with this specific ammunition (I have quite a few hoarded here at “Ruby Ridge Compound” (my home on the outskirts of Anchorage, Alaska).

If I really thought I was about to be rushed by one of these pre-ice age apex predators, again I’d rather have my aforementioned .375 with A-Frame bullets.
However, as mentioned, the full size rifle is problematic while fly fishing and so, the big revolver is likely what I’d have to use, if it ever happens to me while fishing.
I am betting that I would prevail, because I have practiced much with it and I will get the hits.
It penetrates tree stumps, much deeper than “normal” .44 magnum bullets do.
Never want to have to try it but, it’s what I carry, while wading about in remote salmon streams.
Beats the heck out of a pocket knife.

Likewise, I like to also carry a typical marine flare gun.
Critters, including bears indeed do not like fire.
And so, when one gets too cocky but not quite charging, a ball of fire has always turned them from further, otherwise rude behavior.

I’m not crazy about bear spray, as it is wind sensitive.
And, even with no wind at all, spray is not much good beyond extremely close contact / sword fighting distance.
Too close for my comfort.
So far, I’ve also had good luck just backing away, letting old Yogi take over the fishing hole.

I’ve likewise had very good luck just throwing rocks at them as I slowly back away.
They seem to not connect rocks hitting them and me throwing same.
They have so far always just flinched and looked up in the air, as if looking for some evil bird that had pecked at them.:ROFLMAO:

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Last edited:
Sometimes I get offered “bear guard” contracts, both on mainland Alaska and on research vessels, traveling to the far north Arctic, (Alaska, Canada and Siberia-Russia).
Some employers issue a firearm and ammunition.
It’s usually an 870 Remington 3” magnum, pump shotgun 12 bore, factory rifle sights, with Brenneke 3” magnum rifled slugs.
That is presumably adequate.
I’d hate to be a greasy old bear, receiving accurate hits from same, from anyone who has practiced well with it = getting center his on me, as fast as they could run the weapon with accuracy.

That said, when I contract with any outfit that lets me bring my own firearm, I always bring my Whitworth Model ‘98 Mauser, express sights (wide, shallow “V” rear sight and oversized, large white porcelain bead front sight).
This is sighted in for a 6 o’clock hold at 50 paces, with factory loaded 300 grain Swift A-Frame bullets.

Not many polar bears out on the sea ice or, mainland grizzlies, out on the open tundra are likely to continue even a determined charge, while being smacked with this load, as fast as I can run the bolt, between regaining the sight picture for each hastily aimed shot.
I bet that even under the stress of a full on charge, I’d get the hits.
I’ve so far, not had to find out.
However, I’d wager a large pizza that, I’d win, hands down.

One of my addictions is fly fishing for salmon.
And as such, I have bumped into more grizzly bears than most folks have even seen on television.
For this, flailing about with a fly rod, is very awkward to also keep a rifle handy.
Therefore, I carry a S&W Model 629, 4” barrel, .44 Magnum, loaded with the now discontinued Federal brand, factory loaded 300 grain, hard cast, flat nosed bullets.
Why they call them “Cast Core” remains a mystery, as they are a very hard cast alloy of lead and antimony monolithic bullet = no separate core whatsoever.
Anyway, my revolver has remained sighted in at 25 paces, with this specific ammunition (I have quite a few hoarded here at “Ruby Ridge Compound” (my home on the outskirts of Anchorage, Alaska).

If I really thought I was about to be rushed by one of these pre-ice age apex predators, again I’d rather have my aforementioned .375 with A-Frame bullets.
However, as mentioned, the full size rifle is problematic while fly fishing and so, the big revolver is likely what I’d have to use, if it ever happens to me while fishing.
I am betting that I would prevail, because I have practiced much with it and I will get the hits.
It penetrates tree stumps, much deeper than “normal” .44 magnum bullets do.
Never want to have to try it but, it’s what I carry, while wading about in remote salmon streams.
Beats the heck out of a pocket knife.

Likewise, I like to also carry a typical marine flare gun.
Critters, including bears indeed do not like fire.
And so, when one gets too cocky but not quite charging, a ball of fire has always turned them from further, otherwise rude behavior.

I’m not crazy about bear spray, as it is wind sensitive.
And, even with no wind at all, spray is not much good beyond extremely close contact / sword fighting distance.
Too close for my comfort.
So far, I’ve also had good luck just backing away, letting old Yogi take over the fishing hole.

I’ve likewise had very good luck just throwing rocks at them as I slowly back away.
They seem to not connect rocks hitting them and me throwing same.
They have so far always just flinched and looked up in the air, as if looking for some evil bird that had pecked at them.:ROFLMAO:

Walk softly and carry a big stick.
Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt... 360 grain hard cast. Outskirts of Anchorage.... Eagle River or South Anchorage side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg