Baboon Taxidermy Pictures

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello all;
I'm curious as to what some of you have done with the baboons you have taken.......skull mounts? Half mounts? full body mounts? Poses? I would like some ideas, please......
BTW: I'm not really crazy about having them turned into toilet paper holders, wine bottle holders, etc.....looking for more "natural" poses.
Thanks.........…

bab5_zpsgzhkvqmv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
im hearing ya, there scotti...
if l had the opportunity to take one id get a skull mount done ....
tho hunt hards, mount looks the goods ....

I´m with Bluey, a skull mount with a methacrylate base placed horizontally with wide open jaws looks nice on a bookcase.

I would totally full mount one. they are neat animals. or just case skin it myself and have it tanned.

I almost shot one while I was there. If it wouldn't have screwed up a stalk on a kudu my son was doing I would have. That was the only opportunity at one I had though we saw a million of them. Suckers are hard to get close too.

Telling my wife the subject of the baboons creeping me out and like most wives do she had the answer. Those darn flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz. I hated those things as a kid.

Please understand, my comments are intended as respectful but I need to offer this.

I am not a baboon fan, in fact, they are one of two species of animals I hate, the other being rats. And keep in mind I worked as a professional biologist for 10 years and I appreciate their role in the scheme of things.

That being said, I hate to see animals posed in comical or disrespectful poses for mounts or photographs. The two species I see mocked the most are baboons and warthogs. As sportsmen I believe we repect our quarry, be it baboons or elephants, lions or lizards.

I've shot two baboons and I have the skulls in my trophy room.

I'm still trying to get a baboon! They are a menace to the farmers over there but I've never got a decent shot at one. On two safaris I've asked to hunt them but he PH's did not care. 400 yards shots at females! They can easily be baited so I hope at some point to get one. Then to answer your question I suppose skull mount.
Regards,
Philip

High on the list next trip. Could have taken a few when hunting but was always stalking some other game. Next trip I will go after one with a purpose just like any other animal I am hunting. It is a true trophy and not as easy as must would think to get.

Telling my wife the subject of the baboons creeping me out and like most wives do she had the answer. Those darn flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz. I hated those things as a kid.
Yeah, well.......my mother-in-law is the leader of the flying monkeys! So how about THAT!!! (and your little dog, too!!):D

Please understand, my comments are intended as respectful but I need to offer this.
That being said, I hate to see animals posed in comical or disrespectful poses for mounts or photographs. The two species I see mocked the most are baboons and warthogs. As sportsmen I believe we repect our quarry, be it baboons or elephants, lions or lizards.

I agree, which is why I made the statement about the TP holders and such in my original post........although I must say that Dennis' mount of the one holding the human skull is one of the most unique, interesting, and thought provoking "nontraditional' mounts that I've seen in a long time.(y)

Yeah, well.......my mother-in-law is the leader of the flying monkeys! So how about THAT!!! (and your little dog, too!!):D

I agree, which is why I made the statement about the TP holders and such in my original post........although I must say that Dennis' mount of the one holding the human skull is one of the most unique, interesting, and thought provoking "nontraditional' mounts that I've seen in a long time.(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mine was just mounted today finish work when dry and will post pics in taxidermy when complete, wishing I hadn't caped should have done lifesize.

I almost shot one while I was there. If it wouldn't have screwed up a stalk on a kudu my son was doing I would have. That was the only opportunity at one I had though we saw a million of them. Suckers are hard to get close too.

As my outfitter said. Great vision, sense of smell, hearing and smart. The fact that farmers hate them and send lots of lead their way makes them really a challenge

As my outfitter said. Great vision, sense of smell, hearing and smart. The fact that farmers hate them and send lots of lead their way makes them really a challenge
I killed three while I was there one at long range and the other two were running shots. They were awesome to hunt and one of the most fun critters we hunted while there.

Right, except for eyesight it reminds me of feral hogs here. They get pretty smart as they get shot at all the time.

Reactions: lcq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg