B&M rifle conversion/cartridges- experience/opinions?

Xpraetor

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, NHA, USSA, QF, CCA, NOGA, SCI, GOA, USCCA
Gentlemen, I am seeking opinions about B&M Rifle(s) conversions. Have any of you heard of, had/have or shot one of these rifles? A friend of mine who guides in the northwest (USA) had his Win. Lever action converted to shoot .500 cal., it is called a 50 B&M Alaskan. He hasn’t had any field experience with it yet, but he is very happy with its performance at the range. Below is a link to their web-site-

www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

500LA_50B_MAlaskanjpg.jpg

Attachments

• 500LA_50B_MAlaska.jpg
    500LA_50B_MAlaska.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 272
Xpraetor,
I have had the privalige of seeing several of the B&M rifles and cartridges being tested on our buffalo hunts in the wilds of Arnhemland.

Mike McCourry, the designer, and a close personal friend of mine, first hunted with us in August of 2009, bringing out the 50 B&M, 458 B&M and a 500 MDM Ultra.

Firstly let me say about the rifles (those put together by Accurate Industries), it is impossible to graft just how portable, proper weighted and fast handling these rifles are without physically holding them. The handling qualities are outstanding and they are extremely comfortable to shoot. I have not had any experience with the Marlin conversions.

Secondly, the cartridges designed for the rifles were specifically done so with the intent of producing a predetermined level of ballistics without compromising the platform (rifle) they are housed in, and that they do in spades !

I personally have two rifles being exported from the U.S as I write, one being a 500 M.D.M which I have written about in the big bore threads on this site.

I have not had personal experience with the 50 B&M Alaskan but believe that Mike may be bringing one of those out on his planned hunt with us next year.
The ballistics provided by the 50, together with some of the sensational projectiles that are now available for them, means your buddy has an extremely fast handling, and shooting, effective stopper for all manner of large game.

If the mechanical details of the gunsmithing required have been performed adequately,I'm very confident your buddy is going to be impressed with this one.

Paul,

Thank you for the reply. He has given the same praise that you offered, with regards to handling. The anticipation of this years hunting season is heightened.

Also, thank you for mentioning the thread in the "Big Bore" forum. I did a search, but I typed in B&M rifle. I will be sure to go over and read the thread.

If I may, would you expound further on the hunt with Mr. McCourry? You mentioned the rifle(s) performed well. Was there a buffalo taken?

So, from what you explained about Mr. McCourry bring out an LA. Then Australia doesn't have restrictions on LA-lever actions, if so that is encouraging. A LA in an experienced persons hands is very effective in mitigating a potentially bad situation.

Regards,
Shane

Shane, here's the link to the thread on the .500,
http://www.africahunting.com/375-up/4832-ultimate-stopper.html

Regarding the hunt with Mike;
for me it was a real eye-opener. For years I'd been brainwashed into thinking that certain rifles of certain calibres HAD to weigh a certain amount, HAD to have barrels of certain dimensions etc etc.
The B&M range completely put the "kybosh" on all of that bunk.
For years,during my hunting seasons, I'd carried various rifles around weighing 9 1/2 up to 10 1/2 lbs, which for me entail over 4 months consecutively in the field each day. Now, my two new rifles, one in 500 M.D.M and the other in 458 Lott, come in nicely at 8 3/4 lbs.

The initial response from most hearing of those weights is an over-reaction to the perceived horrendous recoil that will tear my arms from their sockets. Complete bunk !
Proper stock design (from Accurate Industries) and proper techinique with familiarity resolves issues of recoil.

Mike, and his hunting partner, took numerous buffalo (in excess of 30), both management animals and Trophy bulls with the cartridges mentioned, on an extended hunt. The results were emphatic, and impressive.
The 500 M.D.M is the most complete thick-skinned big game animal cartridge I have ever witnessed.
The 50 B&M and 458 B&M provide extremely effective big game ballistics in the most portable and best handling rifles I've every had the fortune of handling, hence ordering two of my own.
Mike is an experienced dangerous game hunter who thinks outside the square.
His testing of terminal bullet performance and resulting design and development of big game solids and non-conventional "softs" is now slowly becoming recognised for what it's worth amongst Dangerous game hunters.

We have another extensive "test" hunt arranged next year with more cartridge/bullet combinations being trialled for performance in field conditions on numerous thick skinned game.

For more information feel free to p.m me at; ssahuntinfo@optusnet.com.au

I can also put you in direct contact with Mike who is always happy to correspond and help anyone with queries regarding any of his work.

Happy hunting,
Paul.

Paul,

Thanks for the link to the thread. I just finished reading it, very informative.
In numerous conversations with friends and hunting buddies, about how comprehensive this site is, your thread is proof! Might have known this site would have details, should have done a longer search.

Very good reading for those interested-

The M71 versions are intriguing, very interested in that platform. My #1 rifle is a Win. 1895 Gr. 1 in .30-06, and I am very comfortable with using it. Might be an easy transition into a big bore B&M lever action.

Hope you share tales of your future hunts with the new "firesticks".

Best regards,
Shane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg