AWD vehicles in snow opinions

If your mom wants something more upgraded other than a Subaru, my wife has been very happy with her 2013 Cadillac SRX (crossover type) with AWD. We live on a ranch in Colorado and our gravel driveway is 1/3 of a mile long. It goes through the small and medium snow storms with no issues. It’s great on ice. It has 162k miles on it and it’s the first vehicle we’ve owned with zero breakdowns other than replacing tires and brakes. We keep talking about getting her a new vehicle but haven’t because it’s been such a great car. Near zero oil consumption. Was about $33k new at the time.

Go with a Subaru Outback or Forester. You will not regret it. The unofficial “official AWD SUV” in Anchorage. Based upon the number of them simultaneously at any intersection in Anchorage.

If only they were legal here.
Lot of debate over studded tyres here in Finland too. Basically they're most needed in south where the ice builds up but that's also where they cause most problems in form of small particles and road wear. My current car came with studded tyres but when they need to be replaced I'll probably go studless, recent years the difference between studded and studless has narrowed quite a bit even in most challenging conditions. When you hit polished patch of wet ice the friction offered by studs feels so desperately poor anyways. Driving through winter just needs certain mentality, speed needs to be adjusted for longer braking distance and when shit hits the fan, dodging things rather than stopping is far more efficient. Hardest part really is to learn to let go of the brake pedal.

Lot of debate over studded tyres here in Finland too. Basically they're most needed in south where the ice builds up but that's also where they cause most problems in form of small particles and road wear. My current car came with studded tyres but when they need to be replaced I'll probably go studless, recent years the difference between studded and studless has narrowed quite a bit even in most challenging conditions. When you hit polished patch of wet ice the friction offered by studs feels so desperately poor anyways. Driving through winter just needs certain mentality, speed needs to be adjusted for longer braking distance and when shit hits the fan, dodging things rather than stopping is far more efficient. Hardest part really is to learn to let go of the brake pedal.

Studs can be used here in certain states but not here in WI.

I once tried using the avoidance tactic but ended up rearending an suv anyways. The plow truck that just went down the ramp only sanded about the last 10' of it during a 30 degree snow storm. It was so slick I couldn't even pick a new path into the ditch.

My wife and I are Volvo fans. I also have a Toyota Tacoma (2003, with supercharger and dif lock) and all things being equal, my 2004 Volvo XC70 will kick its butt in the snow.
I took it hunting after a night of heavy snow and only stopped because I couldn't see through the snow it was pushing over the hood. But I did have some luck. For the record, I use Nokian winter radials, no studs.
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG

We drive a Range Rover but if we didn't, we would be driving a Subaru Forester or Hyundai Santa Fe. They are dependable, drivable, and people get insane amounts of miles out of them. Our Santa Fe was used extensively in Northern VA. I eventually gifted it to my daughter, and when she traded it in a few years ago it had 200K miles and nothing but routine maintenance done for decade.

Ive found that studs beat studless for the first season and then the studs get worn down and dont help much anymore.

Reactions: CJW
When I was in Montana for a couple years, I noticed a large population of Subaru vehicles. The AWD seems popular.
My Dodge Ram, with desert tires, didn't work so well. I felt like a pig on roller skates. LOL.
In icy conditions, it helps to have weight on the rear end.

We drive a Range Rover but if we didn't, we would be driving a Subaru Forester or Hyundai Santa Fe. They are dependable, drivable, and people get insane amounts of miles out of them. Our Santa Fe was used extensively in Northern VA. I eventually gifted it to my daughter, and when she traded it in a few years ago it had 200K miles and nothing but routine maintenance done for decade.

My mom has been spoiled by 130,000+ miles of reliability in her '02 silverado. It has 208,000 on it now and is slowly being eaten alive by rust. A handful of parts, a couple pairs of shoes and oil changes is all it's ever needed. But it's time has come unfortunately.

When I was in Montana for a couple years, I noticed a large population of Subaru vehicles. The AWD seems popular.
My Dodge Ram, with desert tires, didn't work so well. I felt like a pig on roller skates. LOL.
In icy conditions, it helps to have weight on the rear end.

My Ram with BFG's has done really well up here for 60,000 miles but it also weighs 6200 pounds so the excessive weight helps.

The only roads that teally bug me are when it's been around 0 for days on end and the slightly covered roads get shinier with every passing vehicle. It's the only condition that has put me in a ditch.

My Ram with BFG's has done really well up here for 60,000 miles but it also weighs 6200 pounds so the excessive weight helps.

The only roads that teally bug me are when it's been around 0 for days on end and the slightly covered roads get shinier with every passing vehicle. It's the only condition that has put me in a ditch.
Many of the roads in Montana, as well as other cold snowy state's, can remain solid sheets of ice for long periods of time. One of my coworkers suggested getting my tires grooved down at the tire shop. I was only there for one winter, so I didn't do it.
I came down the freeway off ramp early one morning, and despite pumping the breaks, I slid right thru the stop sign, and across the frontage road. Fortunately, no vehicles were coming. It was a pucker moment.

Many of the roads in Montana, as well as other cold snowy state's, can remain solid sheets of ice for long periods of time. One of my coworkers suggested getting my tires grooved down at the tire shop. I was only there for one winter, so I didn't do it.
I came down the freeway off ramp early one morning, and despite pumping the breaks, I slid right thru the stop sign, and across the frontage road. Fortunately, no vehicles were coming. It was a pucker moment.

That is for sure a very helpless and butt puckering feeling.

My first time in ND I noticed not only the arms to close off the ramps but the arms to close the highway. I understood quickly how bad the roads get. The locals told me that the wind blown snow alone can sheet ice and drift over the roads to undriveable in just a couple hours. I left a day early to avoid a storm.

I got a 4Runner with AWD for my Mom, the factory tires were complete junk, but with quality tires, it does extremely well in the snow.

Reactions: CJW
My wife and I are Volvo fans. I also have a Toyota Tacoma (2003, with supercharger and dif lock) and all things being equal, my 2004 Volvo XC70 will kick its butt in the snow.
I took it hunting after a night of heavy snow and only stopped because I couldn't see through the snow it was pushing over the hood. But I did have some luck. For the record, I use Nokian winter radials, no studs.View attachment 380233View attachment 380232

If I even dreamed of putting a dead animal (other than some birds that are in an ice chest) in the back of my wife's ML350, I would also in the back - dead.

Another Subaru fan here. We have had 3 over the years.

Our current one is a 2016 Outback. Here in central Ontario our winters can vary from an 8" snowfall to black ice in a few days. With good winter tires, the Roo handles it all.

We have never had an issue with oil consumption as you describe. They are a well designed vehicle.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with one.

CT

So I'm looking for a vehicle for my mother and have no clue when it comes to AWD vehicles but am finding some good deals on them vs 4wd vehicles. I've never owned or driven one. She lives in northern WI so alot of snow and slick roads to contend with. How effective is AWD in winter conditions and how much snow are they good for assuming it's an suv? She lives in a paved road but it doesn't usually get first priority by the plow trucks. So having to drive a mile out on 2+ inches is common but if it's too much she probably just won't drive until it's plowed. I'm looking at an AWD Mitsubishi Endeavor and I can put winter tires on it if necessary. From what I can find, the Endeavor puts equal torque to all 4 wheels but I don't know if they're all that way.

Any help is appreciated.
@CJW
In Australia the Subaru out back and Forrester are very popular Ads for weekend bush warriors and snow travellers. The beauty of them they are available with a diesel engine as well that gives great torque and brilliant fuel economy in excess of 30mpg.
My daughter h as one of loves it.
Bob

Subaru´s and Volvo XC60/70 are good...I have owned two XC70 diesels and Subaru before that..

My current car is a Range Rover Sport diesel....fantastic with studded tires and as Joe pointed out, the moderm ones are reliable..

I took it hunting after a night of heavy snow and only stopped because I couldn't see through the snow it was pushing over the hood. But I did have some luck. For the record, I use Nokian winter radials, no studs.View attachment 380233View attachment 380232
@Rick Cox
The XC70 is another brilliant AWD with more safety features than you can poke a stick at. More air bags than a room full of mother in-laws. The only thing in Australia is the price.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!