Awaiting for my new 'legend stick' lb from howard hill archery

Paolo Mauritania

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Mauritania-Senegal border
Awaiting.....anxiously......for my latest acquisition, a 75# 'legend stick' long bow from Howard Hill archery. I know there isn't much on it to trigger technical discussions, but isn't it a beauty of simplicity? A multi layered bamboo stick, feather light, and with the power of mother nature carbon.
LS-Web_0986.jpg
LS-Web_0988.jpg
LS-Web_0993.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My custom recurve made by Jim Brackenbury I got in 1989 is also called the Legend.

My custom recurve made by Jim Brackenbury I got in 1989 is also called the Legend.
Another pillar of traditional archery that left us in 1991, his custom recurves were a beauty of wood work. I guess should be this one.

Jim-Brackenbury-The-legend-Custom-Takedown-Recurve-Bow.jpg

He made 3 models the Drifter being the least expensive and the legend the higher end. My Legend looks quite a bit different than that.

Beutifull, I have hunted with a longbow for the past 30 years, before that a recurve, I have a custom made 62# Northern Mist Longbow that was made with a Birdseye maple riser, If you get a chance check out his website Northern Mist Longbow

Beutifull, I have hunted with a longbow for the past 30 years, before that a recurve, I have a custom made 62# Northern Mist Longbow that was made with a Birdseye maple riser, If you get a chance check out his website Northern Mist Longbow
Ain't these beautiful? Technology is enticing, but traditional bows are mesmerizing work of art., the soul of the bowyer comes with them.

Last edited:
Well stated, I have a few and they are all works of art that you can use, I still have my dads longbow that was made by Fred Bear when he was working out of his garage it’s a 47#, when hunting Elk out west most of the group are traditional archers but a couple use compounds, I swear their arm were longer from carrying the extra weight of those things, enjoy your bow when it arrives

When I was in my early twenties I went through a phase where all I was interested in was long bows, and people like Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Pope and Young, and a book called The Wichery Of Archery. The simple pleasure of watching a well aimed arrow pass through the air and hit what you are looking at cannot be overstated.

Back in the 60s I had a similar Howard Hill bamboo I believe 82lb. I bought it used, I remember I paid $200.00. I could have bought a model 70 for less. It was stolen in the late 80s. I earned my NFAA master bow hunters award with that bow, how I grieved the loss!

Back in the 60s I had a similar Howard Hill bamboo I believe 82lb. I bought it used, I remember I paid $200.00. I could have bought a model 70 for less. It was stolen in the late 80s. I earned my NFAA master bow hunters award with that bow, how I grieved the loss!
Hopfullly karma bites the thief, or has already bitten

Three models of the HH LB's uses Japanese bamboo as a primary lamination material, the price has gone up but still affordable (about three times the 60's price), as compared to a compound + bits and pieces; and Craig Ekin is a swell guy. This one is all bamboo, handle included.
I won't give them up for anything else, they are a pleasure to shoot even at high poundage, smooth as bay-butt, and feather light, once you familiarize with the straight handle' proper hand positioning. And they get more efficient, and silent as he arrow mass goes up starting from 550-600 grains and above.

Stunning! I too had a Brackenberry Legend and my favorite a Black Widow

Think what it would have been like to have hunted with a legend like Howard Hil!

Howard Hill bows are one of the best buys in the custom bow market. I presently own two, a special edition Black Mamba (60" AMO - 48# at 28" and a Half-Breed t/d 68" AMO 49# @ 28") and have owned many others over the years. As an aside, I wonder if the "Half-Breed" model passes political correctness these days!?!

I have a Black Widow PCH recurve, and shoots really good, a bit heavy, but a very stable platform.
I too have a Black Widow recurve (Golden Anniversary). One-piece bow. 60" - 52# @ 28" A masterpiece of bow making and a great shooter, but they are not inexpensive, either. As in most cases, you get what you pay for.

Hello Guys,

I finally got the Legend Stick yesterday; I must give credit to Craig (Ekin), he promised four weeks delivery, and he shipped in exactly four weeks. I just strung the bow, and exercised few times, however aside from the aesthetic aspect, it is really, and I mean really, feather light, I can barely feel it in my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg