AVOID Gunsmith quicksand!...Classic Barrel & Gunworks: Prescott Arizona: Dan Pedersen

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Gentlemen,

No matter how embarrassing it may be, I feel it is my responsibility to convey my experience with Dan Pedersen of CLASSIC BARREL & GUNWORKS in Prescott Arizona; so that others may avoid the quicksand I am currently trapped in.

January 2021: I called Classic Barrel and Gunworks to inquire about having a rifle converted to .404J and to my surprise the owner Dan Pedersen himself picked up the phone after only a couple of rings and we began discussing the project.....

BRNO ZKK602 .375H&H - Rebore & rechamber to .404J, open the bolt face accordingly, feed/function work on the action & install a barrel band swivel to replace the cheap clamp on one.
404.PNG

Dan explained how he had new help in the shop and that he could have it turned around in 6 months and I double confirmed that with him as this rifle was needed for an October 2021 Water Buffalo hunt in Australia.

He assured me that it would be no problem, so I shipped the rifle to him the next day.

August 2021: I start calling about my rifle and my calls are eventually returned and Dan proceeds to tell me that he has had medical issues and he is back to one man in the shop but the rifle is progressing through the work order. I am disappointed but there is nothing I can do and COVID canceled the Australia hunt so I decided to be patient.

January 2022: We are now 100% overdue for delivery and I call the shop and Dan returns my call "It's in progress and moving along in the work order, I'm back to a 1 man shop you know." I bite my tongue and let it ride as I am getting ready to move.

May 13th 2022: My patience is wearing thin and I call the shop and I'm surprised that someone actually answers the phone and it's a gunsmith I will call "C"(for his privacy) - I explain to C that I have a rifle there that should be ready at any time and that I have moved and wanted to update my address as well as get a progress report; C says he will call me back shortly, which he does only to inform me that my rifle hasn't even been unboxed yet!

Well C seemed to be quite embarrassed at the situation as well as motivated and knowledgeable so I gave him the go ahead to start and a few minutes later I get a text message pic from C of my rifle on his bench with "The journey begins" as the caption

Bench.jpg

May 29th 2022: I am contacted by C "The barrel boring didn't go well, so I started making you a barrel from scratch out of 4140CM and I need you to send me the stock so I can fit the new barrel to it."

I was rather puzzled by this since I wasn't contacted before the new barrel was started or I would have suggested just going up to .500J instead of starting a barrel from scratch; but that was not an option because he had already destroyed the factory barrel taking the sight parts off.

May 31st 2022: I ship the stock to them

June 16th 2022: I get a text from C telling me that he has been called up on a government job and that he will be out of the area for a few months and that I would have to deal with Dan on getting my rifle finished and that he had a long talk with Dan about getting my rifle completed. He gives me a complete progress report of where the rifle stands with pics.

June 31st 2022: Dan finally returns my calls and begins to tell me about all the progress that has been made and work that has been done as he starts to tell me the current state of the rifle and how little work is left to do with it.....

I cut him off and tell him that he has described the exact same condition that C left the rifle in weeks ago and that I was past tired of the situation and I wanted my rifle back ASAP regardless of what issues are present in his life and business, to which Dan Pedersen replies "Your rifle will be ready to ship July 15th guaranteed!"..... and hangs up on me.

July 28th 2022: After multiple attempts to contact Dan by calling his shop and cell, with texts and voicemails, I send Classic Barrel & Gunworks a letter (registered mail) demanding the return of my property along with multiple phone numbers where I can be reached as well as my new legal address.
This notice is signed for on 8/2/22.

August 8th 2022: With no contact from Dan, I send a second letter, this one with full description of my rifle including serial number and demand of its return regardless of condition or progress; the letter is signed and notarized as well as stating the Police report # for the larceny charge that I attempting to file on him. This letter was sent registered mail delivery restricted so that Dan himself has to show ID and sign for it.

This is where things get weird.... Shortly after returning home from mailing that 2nd registered letter, my personal phone begins to ring and it's showing Dan's cell #, I excuse myself from the business line that I was on and pick up my personal cell phone... I can hear Dan's muffled voice and some chuckling in the background, but it sounds like a "Butt Dial" so after repeated attempts to get someone to answer I hang up.

I then call back the county clerk I was speaking to and after a couple of minutes my business phone starts ringing and it's Dan Pedersen on the caller ID; I excuse myself for the second time to the county clerk and pick up the line for Dan..... Same thing as when he called my personal cell, just random noise and chuckling in the background.

These calls continue back and forth between my business and personal phones 3-4 more times; I documented this by video and I'm adding it to the police report.

Remember I am sharing this to save anyone else the trouble of dealing with this nightmare situation and before any of the armchair quarterbacks start popping off about..... "I'd do __________________ if I were you!"

1. The Prescott police is very familiar with this and have been dealing with it for years. Believe me they are just as tired of it as anyone but you need an attorney willing to file charges...... And after all, if you return a rifle YEARS late then it's not fraud - just poor business practice.

2. The ATF could not care less!...... believe me, I contacted them to file a complaint and was simply told "this is a civil matter"

3. Civil action.... You could buy a new rifle with what an attorney would charge and the small claims limit in Arizona is $3,500; no subtract air travel, filing costs, hotels, serving fees, etc...... Even if you got a full judgement you would still be in the hole and that is not even considering time opportunity cost.

How people like this stay in business is beyond me, I was speaking with a gunsmith about finishing the work if I can ever get my rifle back even if only in pieces and he said......."Yeah I'll do it, good luck with Pedersen though, the only work I ever sent him was a barrel and it took me 6 years!"

Last edited by a moderator:
The name sounded familiar so I typed it into Google. One of the top results was someone on 24 hour with a very similar experience back in 2008, but I would swear I heard of another bad experience recently.

He seems like someone to avoid IMO.

Edit: Actually there seems to be a number of complaints over there. You have your work cut out for you.

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

No matter how embarrassing it may be, I feel it is my responsibility to convey my experience with Dan Pedersen of CLASSIC BARREL & GUNWORKS in Prescott Arizona; so that others may avoid the quicksand I am currently trapped in.

January 2021: I called Classic Barrel and Gunworks to inquire about having a rifle converted to .404J and to my surprise the owner Dan Pedersen himself picked up the phone after only a couple of rings and we began discussing the project.....

BRNO ZKK602 .375H&H - Rebore & rechamber to .404J, open the bolt face accordingly, feed/function work on the action & install a barrel band swivel to replace the cheap clamp on one.
View attachment 483117

Dan explained how he had new help in the shop and that he could have it turned around in 6 months and I double confirmed that with him as this rifle was needed for an October 2021 Water Buffalo hunt in Australia.

He assured me that it would be no problem, so I shipped the rifle to him the next day.

August 2021: I start calling about my rifle and my calls are eventually returned and Dan proceeds to tell me that he has had medical issues and he is back to one man in the shop but the rifle is progressing through the work order. I am disappointed but there is nothing I can do and COVID canceled the Australia hunt so I decided to be patient.

January 2022: We are now 100% overdue for delivery and I call the shop and Dan returns my call "It's in progress and moving along in the work order, I'm back to a 1 man shop you know." I bite my tongue and let it ride as I am getting ready to move.

May 13th 2022: My patience is wearing thin and I call the shop and I'm surprised that someone actually answers the phone and it's a gunsmith I will call "C"(for his privacy) - I explain to C that I have a rifle there that should be ready at any time and that I have moved and wanted to update my address as well as get a progress report; C says he will call me back shortly, which he does only to inform me that my rifle hasn't even been unboxed yet!

Well C seemed to be quite embarrassed at the situation as well as motivated and knowledgeable so I gave him the go ahead to start and a few minutes later I get a text message pic from C of my rifle on his bench with "The journey begins" as the caption

View attachment 483129

May 29th 2022: I am contacted by C "The barrel boring didn't go well, so I started making you a barrel from scratch out of 4140CM and I need you to send me the stock so I can fit the new barrel to it."

I was rather puzzled by this since I wasn't contacted before the new barrel was started or I would have suggested just going up to .500J instead of starting a barrel from scratch; but that was not an option because he had already destroyed the factory barrel taking the sight parts off.

May 31st 2022: I ship the stock to them

June 16th 2022: I get a text from C telling me that he has been called up on a government job and that he will be out of the area for a few months and that I would have to deal with Dan on getting my rifle finished and that he had a long talk with Dan about getting my rifle completed. He gives me a complete progress report of where the rifle stands with pics.

June 31st 2022: Dan finally returns my calls and begins to tell me about all the progress that has been made and work that has been done as he starts to tell me the current state of the rifle and how little work is left to do with it.....

I cut him off and tell him that he has described the exact same condition that C left the rifle in weeks ago and that I was past tired of the situation and I wanted my rifle back ASAP regardless of what issues are present in his life and business, to which Dan Pedersen replies "Your rifle will be ready to ship July 15th guaranteed!"..... and hangs up on me.

July 28th 2022: After multiple attempts to contact Dan by calling his shop and cell, with texts and voicemails, I send Classic Barrel & Gunworks a letter (registered mail) demanding the return of my property along with multiple phone numbers where I can be reached as well as my new legal address.
This notice is signed for on 8/2/22.

August 8th 2022: With no contact from Dan, I send a second letter, this one with full description of my rifle including serial number and demand of its return regardless of condition or progress; the letter is signed and notarized as well as stating the Police report # for the larceny charge that I attempting to file on him. This letter was sent registered mail delivery restricted so that Dan himself has to show ID and sign for it.

This is where things get weird.... Shortly after returning home from mailing that 2nd registered letter, my personal phone begins to ring and it's showing Dan's cell #, I excuse myself from the business line that I was on and pick up my personal cell phone... I can hear Dan's muffled voice and some chuckling in the background, but it sounds like a "Butt Dial" so after repeated attempts to get someone to answer I hang up.

I then call back the county clerk I was speaking to and after a couple of minutes my business phone starts ringing and it's Dan Pedersen on the caller ID; I excuse myself for the second time to the county clerk and pick up the line for Dan..... Same thing as when he called my personal cell, just random noise and chuckling in the background.

These calls continue back and forth between my business and personal phones 3-4 more times; I documented this by video and I'm adding it to the police report.

Remember I am sharing this to save anyone else the trouble of dealing with this nightmare situation and before any of the armchair quarterbacks start popping off about..... "I'd do __________________ if I were you!"

1. The Prescott police is very familiar with this and have been dealing with it for years. Believe me they are just as tired of it as anyone but you need an attorney willing to file charges...... And after all, if you return a rifle YEARS late then it's not fraud - just poor business practice.

2. The ATF could not care less!...... believe me, I contacted them to file a complaint and was simply told "this is a civil matter"

3. Civil action.... You could buy a new rifle with what an attorney would charge and the small claims limit in Arizona is $3,500; no subtract air travel, filing costs, hotels, serving fees, ect...... Even if you got a full judgement you would still be in the whole and that is not even considering time opportunity cost.

How people like this stay in business is beyond me, I was speaking with a gunsmith about finishing the work if I can ever get my rifle back even if only in pieces and he said......."Yeah I'll do it, good luck with Pedersen though, the only work I ever sent him was a barrel and it took me 6 years!"
Sorry to read about the mess you are in with that clown. Makes my problems with Randy Selby and his sloppy workmanship minimal in comparison.

How these kind of people can sleep at night, remains a mystery to me.

It would be cheaper to fly to Phoenix rent a car and drive the 1.5 hour and pick it up in person.
What happens if I do as you say and he’s not at the shop or will not hand it over?….Wasted time and money.

Arizonajake - Your issues with Selby were another reason for posting this by experience, and I almost sent my rifle to him. More people should speak out against bad business practices regardless of the industry.

Update: I was contacted by a Prescott PD Detective yesterday and they are VERY familiar with Dan’s “erratic” behavior and he’s been the source of enough criminal complaints for this exact reason and they’ve been dealing with him for YEARS.

Last edited:
Is the Prescott PD going to do anything about it? What a crock of sh*t. What this a$$hole needs is to be taken out to the desert and given a swift kick in the a$$. I detest criminals.

Is the Prescott PD going to do anything about it? What a crock of sh*t. What this a$$hole needs is to be taken out to the desert and given a swift kick in the a$$. I detest criminals.
I am working with a detective to see what can be done.

Apparently whenever charges are being brought, he shows them that rifles are being returned - even if they are years late, because poor business practices doesn’t equal fraud by or B theft…. Without a signed work order with a specific date on it that is.

After all - It’s NOT what the cops are willing to do; it’s what the district attorney is unwilling to do!

I just wasted a year with a gunsmith in Wyoming. My CZ was returned in worse shape than before it was shipped. Zero recourse unless I want to pursue things legally which I do not have the time for. I stand behind a post I made on a previous thread regarding purchasing a Rigby. I will never build or modify a rifle again. Each and every time the gunsmith has let me down. I will save another ten years and purchase another RIgby. I know the service will be good and rifle flawless.

After all - It’s NOT what the cops are willing to do; it’s what the district attorney is unwilling to do!

Sadly this is very often the situation.. A million years ago in my LEO days, we were very much aware of what the DAs office was willing to pursue and what would be a waste of time and energy... There were times when a decision was made to give the guy a ride, knowing he'd never actually do the time... but they were an exception, not the rule..

Thankfully our DA was pretty hard on "street" crime and on dope.. so we didn't run into any problems there..

But he was pretty weak on things like your situation.. and would just deem them all "civil" matters (even when there was clear and apparent criminal intent) and refer people to the city attorney for action (or inaction)..

No wonder these POS so called gunsmith do what they do, because they know the law is not going to touch them, and it's too expensive to go through the legal channels. What a scam!

I'm really sorry to hear how this went down @deewayne2003

What I learned along the way through painful interactions with gunsmiths is:

1.) There are about 10 legitimate gunsmithing masters in this country and even then, they are exceptional when they stay in their wheelhouse and so-so when the delve outside their comfort.

2.) 90% of gunsmithing can be done by an owner with a cautious hand and some patience. Using a gunsmith for most things isn't worth the trouble to box-ship-insure-wait-pay when the tools to do it oneself are about that same money.

3.) For the stuff that is really difficult and requires a master gunsmith, the cost outlay to do such work is usually more than the cost of just buying a better rifle that is already done.

Obviously there is always a need for good gunsmiths but their use should be applied carefully.

The names that come to the top of my mind for quality would be:

JJ Peridoux
Ken Owen
Dan Morgan
Mark Cromwell / NECG

Then the list goes spotty, specialty, or really slow.

Bottom line is Deewayne got screwed and it isn't right. We can't fix bad humans with unscrupulous businesses but hopefully when the word gets out more people can avoid them.

I would add Gary Junk to that list for bolt guns and custom metal work. He is particularly good on German guns and got the double triggers on that 8x57 I bought from you working flawlessly.

Maybe we should start a thread on reputable smiths and stockers and their area of expertise.

Maybe we should start a thread on reputable smiths and stockers and their area of expertise.

But then everyone would use them and then we wouldn't have any reliable smiths due to their uptick in business demand. :unsure:

I feel for you. I dealt with a bad gunsmith business in Missouri. Luckily, I got the unfixed rifle back and 1/2 of my money. Very frustrating and draining situation in dealing with those type of people. Best of luck in the future, TheGrayRider.

That's the problem with good gunsmith, they are busy enough that they are one or two years out before they even start any work on a firearm. They don't want to hire just anyone that won't do work that is up to their standards.

I know of a couple and they are not taking any new customers unless it is on a referral and they want to do the work.

As for reboring a barrel, why not just start with a new barrel in the caliber and cartridge of your choice? There are so many things that can go wrong with drilling and then cutting new rifleings into the metal where a new barrel can be fitted fairly quickly, then just some stock work and you are done.

Rookhawk- I asked Ken Owen but he said he mothballed his boring machine.

JimP - I went with the rebore hoping to keep the factory look of the BRNO; honestly though I wish I could get the rifle/parts back.

The smith known as C turned a blank of 4140CM into what I think would be one hell of a barrel

4140cm, 1:14” twist, .415” bore, .423” grove
FF96108F-ABD5-41CC-8DFB-0755A490457F.jpeg

660963E3-4469-4FB8-8D4F-4EE5672AB5CF.jpeg

I'm really sorry to hear how this went down @deewayne2003

What I learned along the way through painful interactions with gunsmiths is:

1.) There are about 10 legitimate gunsmithing masters in this country and even then, they are exceptional when they stay in their wheelhouse and so-so when the delve outside their comfort.

2.) 90% of gunsmithing can be done by an owner with a cautious hand and some patience. Using a gunsmith for most things isn't worth the trouble to box-ship-insure-wait-pay when the tools to do it oneself are about that same money.

3.) For the stuff that is really difficult and requires a master gunsmith, the cost outlay to do such work is usually more than the cost of just buying a better rifle that is already done.

Obviously there is always a need for good gunsmiths but their use should be applied carefully.

The names that come to the top of my mind for quality would be:

JJ Peridoux
Ken Owen
Dan Morgan
Mark Cromwell / NECG

Then the list goes spotty, specialty, or really slow.

Bottom line is Deewayne got screwed and it isn't right. We can't fix bad humans with unscrupulous businesses but hopefully when the word gets out more people can avoid them.
+1 on JJ and Ken!!! The very best!

Update- the detective went by Dan’s shop unannounced and my notarized demand letter was sitting on Dan’s shop table along with a box that was labeled with my address.

The detective was told the rifle would be shipped out the next day….. that was weeks ago and I haven’t heard a word from Dan or seen my rifle.

Called the detective yesterday to inform him that I am moving forward with civil action against Dan and the detective informs me there is another case open with another detective where Dan has had a $15K rifle longer than mine the owner is likewise pushing the envelope on Dan.

Good news though! I apparently raised enough hell with Dan that he has changed his shop voicemail message.

“The is Dan, I am retiring and no longer accepting work; if I have your rifle it will be returned as soon as it’s completed”

At least he’s not taking anyones property anymore.

This is the condition my rifle was left in June when C the younger smith left…

406DBA6C-173F-45DF-A06C-6C74EB237C00.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross