AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
As I am about to embark on a rare opportunity to hunt in Namibia, my wife has granted me permission to get a couple of shoulder mounts IF I am lucky enough to take the desired species. Kudu and Gemsbok are the two that my better half has approved to be on the wall of our home.

So with said, what is the average cost of a shoulder mount for Kudu or Gemsbok? As well as the average shipping cost?

I'm sure that these prices may vary depending on who does the work. We are just trying to figure out approximately what we will be spending.

Thanks all and happy hunting,

DL

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

Average is a tough question to answer....
  1. What's your quality standard for the work? Crap work will have a lower average cost than world class work will
  2. Where do you plan on having the work done? Average cost will be cheaper in Africa than the States, but see number one. Average quality may be lower than
  3. Shipping, again average cost will depend on where you are having your work done. The average cost to ship shoulder mounts from Africa is higher than the average cost to dip and pack a cape and horns
I have had taxi work done in Africa and doubt I ever will again. This is the right decision based on MY standards. Check out both though and see what's right for you.

Oh, one more advantage of getting things done here is you can always have work done over time. It won't cost much more to put additional capes and horns in the crate and you can have them finished as budget, or the wife, allows.

1. What's your quality standard for the work? Crap work will have a lower average cost than world class work will
  2. Where do you plan on having the work done? Average cost will be cheaper in Africa than the States, but see number one. Average quality may be lower than
  3. Shipping, again average cost will depend on where you are having your work done. The average cost to ship shoulder mounts from Africa is higher than the average cost to dip and pack a cape and horns
I have had taxi work done in Africa and doubt I ever will again. This is the right decision based on MY standards. Check out both though and see what's right for you.

Oh, one more advantage of getting things done here is you can always have work done over time. It won't cost much more to put additional capes and horns in the crate and you can have them finished as budget, or the wife, allows.

Thank you Royal,

I have heard that it's better to get the work done in Africa since they are more experienced with taxidermy work on this type of game. I have talked to my regular taxidermist closer to home and I don't believe he has worked on any game outside of North America.

To tell you the truth I certainly don't know what "my quality of standard of work" would be. I certainly wouldn't it to be crap. Just a typical shoulder mount that no one has to judge but me yet doesn't fall apart.

As far as shipping cost is concerned, I would be having it shipped from Namibia

To tell you the truth I certainly don't know what "my quality of standard of work" would be. I certainly wouldn't it to be crap. Just a typical shoulder mount that no one has to judge but me yet doesn't fall apart.

Fair answer. It does give you more options, here and abroad. Weigh your statement on quality against the costs. Get some price lists. Go look at some websites and visit some studios where you are locally if you can, and in Namibia.

Fair answer. It does give you more options, here and abroad. Weigh your statement on quality against the costs. Get some price lists. Go look at some websites and visit some studios where you are locally if you can, and in Namibia.

Excellent. I most certainly will

There are excellent Taxidermist here in the USA that mount a lot of African work. One of them is a member here - Dennis Harris @The Artistry of Wildlife, of course there are others. Ask yourself this, how many trips will I be taking to Africa to hunt in my lifetime. If like most, not that many, don't skimp on taxidermy. Have it shipped and dipped to the USA.

There are excellent Taxidermist here in the USA that mount a lot of African work. One of them is a member here - Dennis Harris @The Artistry of Wildlife, of course there are others. Ask yourself this, how many trips will I be taking to Africa to hunt in my lifetime. If like most, not that many, don't skimp on taxidermy. Have it shipped and dipped to the USA.

I am starting to lean towards this. Thank you much for the sound advice

Thanks guys, been offline trying to get caught up, I am buried in work but still won't cut any corners on my quality for all of you. The thing you will hear about african game is that african taxidermist are better at it because they are on Africa. That's a sale pitch, I don't care where you live if you can't produce quality work living somewhere doesn't make you an expert. It's research commitment and striving for excellence is the factor. I live in North America and MOUNT more african game than game from here. 100 pieces of NA game and 400-500 pieces of African game a year.

I have chosen to have my taxi work done in the USA. There are places that are less than 25% more than africa. Shipping is cheaper cause the raw stuff folds up better too. Just better quality control here. If it arrives from Africa with the ear off. how do you get them to fix it for you? Bruce

As a taxidermist, I would tell you not to look for the cheapest way possible. It's just like anything, you'll get what you pay for. If you have it done with somebody close by, you can at least check in on progress and change things if need be. For those 2 with me you'd be looking at about $2100 if it were at my shop. Hope that helps

I would not agree about because they live there they mount them better. I will also tell you that you can get good work out of Africa. With only doing two animals though not sure it will matter much cost wise though. The more you have mounted can make bigger saving and the shipping does not always go up that much as they can pack a crate well to save cost.

I would say your looking at Sa prices oryx 698 shoulder mount kudu 790 shoulder mount. Crating 150 shipping 800 to 1000 to states. total 2638 using 1000 for shipping.

Done in states oryx shoulder 1100, kudu shoulder 1475. dip/pack 200 crating 100 shipping 300. Total 3175.00

Now I have some mounts from Sa for 5 years now still look great other going on 2 years still look great. Done to the way I wanted and I knew what I was getting. Some guys will tell you they like something then change there mind when the winds blows a different direction and say other is better now. You must decide what you like and be good with it when you get it as you made the choice.

To some guys 500 may not be worth having it done over in Africa to others it maybe the difference if they can do it. You can get good work or great work in both places depending on what you like.

As for what if something is wrong when you get it here. They may not all do it but the place I use will pay to have something fixed if it is wrong. Plus if you stay in the process they will all send pictures as they mount your stuff so you can see what your getting.

If you do want stuff mounted here in the states I would tell you to look at Kanati studio for some great looking work done here in the states.

These are my thoughts and other will vary but those numbers should be pretty close so you have some idea.

Double Lunger....make it a creative piece ...Just delivered this one to Lawrenceburg KY last week.
Virginia is a quick delivery for us , we deliver there a lot...when it come to taxidermy your going to look at it for the rest of your life , like the wife....choose wisely..... LOL

Kudu/Gemsbok
You cannot beat my detail and realism anywhere....
Don't forget to "CLICK on the PIC" , I like to show my work CLOSE UP !!

DSCN8845%201_zpsgnplahwr.jpg

DSCN8837%201_zpsc7ly8zfx.jpg

DSCN8818%201_zps8bzaiasm.jpg

DSCN8847%201_zpsdw70umr5.jpg

DSCN8812%201_zpst65wtrpk.jpg

DSCN8803%201_zpsmdanpgs2.jpg

DSCN8806%201_zps5cho6kqd.jpg

DSCN8832%202_zpshqc5ua1m.jpg

DSCN8821%201_zpsue1nicxa.jpg

DSCN8814%201_zpspkrnwp9e.jpg

DSCN8836%201_zpsrgclmxbg.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN8836%201_zpsrgclmxbg.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCN8814%201_zpspkrnwp9e.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN8821%201_zpsue1nicxa.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCN8832%202_zpshqc5ua1m.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 313
  • DSCN8806%201_zps5cho6kqd.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 445
  • DSCN8803%201_zpsmdanpgs2.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCN8812%201_zpst65wtrpk.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 381
  • DSCN8847%201_zpsdw70umr5.jpg
    948 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN8818%201_zps8bzaiasm.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 1,215
  • DSCN8837%201_zpsc7ly8zfx.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN8845%201_zpsgnplahwr.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 409
Last edited by a moderator:

Get it done here in the US - easier to deal with should you have problems. I am using Dennis Harris. Don't kick yourself in the ass if you try to save money trying to take short cuts on your taxidermy.

dt

I would not agree about because they live there they mount them better. I will also tell you that you can get good work out of Africa. With only doing two animals though not sure it will matter much cost wise though. The more you have mounted can make bigger saving and the shipping does not always go up that much as they can pack a crate well to save cost.

I would say your looking at Sa prices oryx 698 shoulder mount kudu 790 shoulder mount. Crating 150 shipping 800 to 1000 to states. total 2638 using 1000 for shipping.

Done in states oryx shoulder 1100, kudu shoulder 1475. dip/pack 200 crating 100 shipping 300. Total 3175.00

Now I have some mounts from Sa for 5 years now still look great other going on 2 years still look great. Done to the way I wanted and I knew what I was getting. Some guys will tell you they like something then change there mind when the winds blows a different direction and say other is better now. You must decide what you like and be good with it when you get it as you made the choice.

To some guys 500 may not be worth having it done over in Africa to others it maybe the difference if they can do it. You can get good work or great work in both places depending on what you like.

As for what if something is wrong when you get it here. They may not all do it but the place I use will pay to have something fixed if it is wrong. Plus if you stay in the process they will all send pictures as they mount your stuff so you can see what your getting.

If you do want stuff mounted here in the states I would tell you to look at Kanati studio for some great looking work done here in the states.

These are my thoughts and other will vary but those numbers should be pretty close so you have some idea.

Excellent and very informative. Certainly do appreciate the information

Double Lunger....make it a creative piece ...Just delivered this one to Lawrenceburg KY last week.
Virginia is a quick delivery for us , we deliver there a lot...when it come to taxidermy your going to look at it for the rest of your life , like the wife....choose wisely..... LOL

Kudu/Gemsbok
You cannot beat my detail and realism anywhere....
Don't forget to "CLICK on the PIC" , I like to show my work CLOSE UP !!

Three horn kudu. Very cool.

Great work as always Dennis.

I would also tell you to take good field pictures of your trophies. Take them of the face,ears,neck so you can show whoever you pick what your animal looked liked when taken. That way you don't get back a mount that looks like every other one they do. Each animal may have slightly different colors to them.

Good luck with your search sometimes picking the place to mount your animals is harder then picking the place to hunt them at.

Always have mine done in Africa and seen some crap done by both USA and African people however everything i have seen done in the USA makes them all look likr a whitetail and fails to capture ...

Get it done here in the US - easier to deal with should you have problems. I am using Dennis Harris. Don't kick yourself in the ass if you try to save money trying to take short cuts on your taxidermy.

dt

Darino9, check out the Springbok Slam posted... if you like that you are going to flip out over your triple double bushpig/warthog piece...Just a tease...and your Sable will be AWESOME !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg