Average plains game Safari cost - total

Letzhunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m sure it has been asked 100 times but I wasn’t able to find it all together... so here it goes:

what is the average or expected total cost for a plains game hunt for let’s say 5 animals one of which will be a larger animal like a kudu.
I’ talking start to finish cost from flight from say the Midwest, all travel, rifle transport fees, everything. Including dipping and shipping but not taxidermy here in the US. I keep looking at all the info here but hard to wrap my head around it all for a starting point cost wise.
Thanks all

Hi tjere
On the hunt side
Say 5 animals 2 small 2 med 1 large
Will run around about5-6000$ all inclusive for 7 days
Dependant in the species obviously
Im sure others will chime in on cost of flight taxidermy shipping etc

Regards

Im not sure there is really an "average".. there are so many variables that the cost difference possibilities are endless..

What country are we talking about? which 5 animals? where are you flying from specifically (airfare is going to be a whole lot cheaper if you live in Dallas than say if you live in Cedar Rapids most likely for example).. are you expecting a 5 star lodge where every meal is served on china and with crystal and silverware? or is a 4 star experience ok? what about a 3 star? etc..etc..etc.. Youve also got variables with the animals themselves.. one outfitter might cost you $3K to hunt a kudu.. but he's got the best kudu for a 1000 mile radius.. where another outfitter might charge you $2K for a kudu.. but his kudu are "average"... It really just depends on what yore looking for..

There are outfitters out there that can meet any demand.. you can do a 7 day, 5 animal packages at a place that does everything over the top.. and the price will be X... or do the exact same 7 day, 5 animal package at another place that is comfortable, but more basic, and the price will be Y.... Take that same package to another country (say Tanzania vs South Africa) and the price will be Z...

The good news is once you identify what it is you really want.. there is an outfitter out there that can make that happen for you, no matter where you are on the spectrum or where it is you want to go..

Very roughly and invery broad strokes. But....
4500 eur all inclusive, like kudu, wildebeest, oryx, warhtog, hartebeest.
1000 eur return tickets
600-1000 eur, shipping of thropies. (to EU)
Taxidermy is optional, at home country
PG hunt in Namibia.
To that you may include, tipping, rifle rental, or your rifle to bring. Additional 10%, maybe to safari all inclusive sosts. This sums it up.

In all reality, trophy shipping and dip and pack costs, are hard to predict. The rest is pretty much straight forward.

Several times on this forum I've seen take the hunting quote and double it for your estimated cost. Taxidermy is variable as is everything else, Euro vs shoulder vs full body mounts in Africa or in USA.

By the time you add in airfare, taxidermy, gun permits, the safari, and incidentals, you can bet on a 5 - 7 animal safari your total price from the day you book to the day the last mount is hanging on the wall about 12-13k assuming your safari was in the 6-7k range.

$5000 for the hunt
$850 for incidentals in Windhoek (tipping, meals, hotels, trinkets)
$2500 for export of trophies to the USA (used to be $850, this is a high number but.... things changed).
$1500-3500 for airfare depending on the airlines and how you get there.
$500 for dip and pack
$10,000-14,000 for the hunt, dip and pack and shipping

Taxidermy is stupid, but this is what my taxidermist charges.

Kudu $1800
Oryx $1200
Blesbok $650
Zebra rug $1250
Impala $650

In Africa you should be able to do bleached skulls for $40-150 per skull
Back skins chrome tanned for table covers and things like that will similarly be $75-150 each.

I am doing a lot more skulls in the future. Some more esoteric animals will "stuffed".

I started by going to hunting shows (BC) and met with outfitters in person. Met lots of wonderful people from most places you can hunt in Africa! I chose an outfitter that made me feel like a friend even though we just met. I saw him again the next show season and he remembered me and my buddy and what we were interested in. That is where we booked and had an amazing hunt.
Hopefully the show circuit will happen again. Great way to meet wonderful people and get insight into who will be making your hunt an enjoyable experience.

I agree with musk ox. I have been over their 9 times and for SA and Namibia it’s worked out to this for me unless shooting specialty plains game animals Lechwe, Tssebee, Oribi etc. Mix of Lg,M,S. animals. $1000 dollars a day for every hunting day and 5K or 6k for air,dip/pack and ship,tips. The hunt. Taxidermy extra!

Pick what/where/how/when and add all of those expenses up (=your answer.) $10K+/- assuming you have everything you need to travel and hunt at this point. Your destination: RSA or Namibia. You can score a heroic package deal and a $1K ticket at the right time, then dip/pack and $hip (ocean ;), and don't forget tips! If you're a good boy, you'll keep $1K. Hint: You won't be able to do this for E. African Greater Kudu or Mtn. Nyala in the rift valley. Get 1-3 friends/relatives to join in and you'll spend less. Nobody's stated the..."If you have to ask...." yet! In 15 yrs of going on safaris, I've had hunting friends ask me this question, and only 1 other has taken the plunge (my Son)! The others had a rather high disposable income...$300/day is out there for PG.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! So is there a “best place to go” place..... I see a lot of Namibia..... is there a caliber restriction/minimum for plains game?

I’m sure it has been asked 100 times but I wasn’t able to find it all together... so here it goes:

what is the average or expected total cost for a plains game hunt for let’s say 5 animals one of which will be a larger animal like a kudu.
I’ talking start to finish cost from flight from say the Midwest, all travel, rifle transport fees, everything. Including dipping and shipping but not taxidermy here in the US. I keep looking at all the info here but hard to wrap my head around it all for a starting point cost wise.
Thanks all
Here was my experience. Be careful to check references not just focus on low cost. I did my research and found Game 4 Africa had fantastic references and great costs for a first time PG hunt. Cost was hunt $4,200. Air $1,800. Took five awesome animals taxidermy $1,500 and very pleased with everything. In fact I have booked a combined DG and PG hunt with them again for 2022

Thank you. I actually reached out to Game 4 Africa to check them out further. Their 5 game plains hunt has the animals I’m interested in and not the ones I don’t. This may work out for me and the wife!

Great question.
Here is my calculation in US dollars:
Package hunt 6000
Taxidermy 1550 - 4411 plan on 2500
Shipping. 1500 - 2000 plan on 2000
Tip: 1000
Airfare: 1500
Total: 13,000

Visit Nick Bowker’s website (a sponsor who has excellent budgeting info)

Thank you. I actually reached out to Game 4 Africa to check them out further. Their 5 game plains hunt has the animals I’m interested in and not the ones I don’t. This may work out for me and the wife!
They are simply outstanding and very couples oriented. Your two PHs both just got married. One of the best times of my life and I am goi g for second hunt

Thanks for all the info! So is there a “best place to go” place..... I see a lot of Namibia..... is there a caliber restriction/minimum for plains game?

I’m more of a DG hunter but I have done PG hunts in Namibia, Botswana and RSA. I would recommend a tracking hunt for eland in Botswana (northern Kalahari) or the Otavi area of Namibia. It will be a very hard and rewarding hunt.

Price very from country and outfitter. My last trip I spent around 5k 3 warthog,kudu,waterbuck,hartebeest, and cull oryx. Dip and pack was around 1100 and shipping was around 1100. You will also need a usda taxidermy to clear customs around 235. Flight from IL around 1850. I will probably return in 2023. Will more then likely just bring the skull and horns back unless I kill giants lol. Or I might just have a professional video of my hunt and forget the shipping part but then I think there's a vac tax add if you don't bring animal home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross