Automated powder dispenser

@Royal27
No doubt, the brass fitting reducer does slow things down. At about 60 grains or more (for me), the benefit Vs speed becomes debatable.

YMMV but I leave my electronic scales powered on, no warmup period.

With powder measures you are lucky to consistently get +/- 0.2 grains with most extruded powders. And with Varget (that I avoid like the plague), +/- 0.3 is more like it. You don't see this if just checking a few here and there with a balance beam.

But then an additional electronic scale (not necessary unless loading for long range precision), adds it's own issues, especially in areas that have high static electricity like ABQ.

My Gempro electronic scale reads to 0.02 grains, but is it really that accurate? Hence I finally went to -.02 on the low side (it really easy and quick to trickle in a little more) to +.04, on long range loads, and maybe +.06 grains on hunting loads.

Note that an individual kernel of (most) stick powders will usually weigh (roughly) between .02 to .04 grains.

BTW, the Chargemaster only reads to 0.1 grains. I weigh every single charge - just part of my routine. I would say that it's almost never off by more that -.06 on the low side and usually much closer than that. It will occasionally go Over by much more, but it will let you know if it's about +0.1 or more.

I had the Gempro electronic scale and the nifty electric trickler before I ever considered getting a Chargemaster, BTW.View attachment 364352
@shootist~
I'll stick with my Lee powder thrower for my stick powders like H4350, Varget and H4831sc. 0.2 grains difference is neither here nor there when I'm throwing in excess of 55 grains.
My Hornaday powder thrower is ideal for ball and fine grain powders down to 0.1 variations
I check every 20 rounds and try and keep the powder level constant. All my rifles group less than an inch with 3 of them reliably and constantly cracking less than half inch.
That's good enough for this black duck. My 22K Hornet constantly groups 0.4 inch 100yard groups with charges plus or minus 0.1 grains and I can load my cases quicker than these new fangled electronic thingamee watchits.
Bob

:E Horrified: For those new to the Chargemaster, don't forget to close the little trap door that drains the powder lest you have your new powder spilling all over your bench. :S Rant:

The Chargemaster will tell you when it drops 0.1 or more over target. You do have to notice the screen, however. No biggie, just dump that pan and carry on.

This is what I do with my Chargemaster. No biggie as @shootist~ says. I'm getting loads for my 6.5x55 and my 338 Federal with ES of less than 20 fps, so it must be pretty accurate. I do calibrate every single time I turn it on/off.

:E Horrified: For those new to the Chargemaster, don't forget to close the little trap door that drains the powder lest you have your new powder spilling all over your bench. :S Rant:

I've done this more than once....

That is one thing that could stand some improvement on the Chargmaster.

@shootist~
I'll stick with my Lee powder thrower for my stick powders like H4350, Varget and H4831sc. 0.2 grains difference is neither here nor there when I'm throwing in excess of 55 grains.
My Hornaday powder thrower is ideal for ball and fine grain powders down to 0.1 variations
I check every 20 rounds and try and keep the powder level constant. All my rifles group less than an inch with 3 of them reliably and constantly cracking less than half inch.
That's good enough for this black duck. My 22K Hornet constantly groups 0.4 inch 100yard groups with charges plus or minus 0.1 grains and I can load my cases quicker than these new fangled electronic thingamee watchits.
Bob

Hi Bob,

I have two Lee powder measures that served me well. They are a good option - especially for the price. A little messy with ball powders as you indicate.

As an older guy that has less patience, the Chargemaster smoothed things out, and allows me to be precise as I want, over multiple calibers, and with less hassle.

Hi Bob,

I have two Lee powder measures that served me well. They are a good option - especially for the price. A little messy with ball powders as you indicate.

As an older guy that has less patience, the Chargemaster smoothed things out, and allows me to be precise as I want, over multiple calibers, and with less hassle.
@shootist~
They are a bit of a pain when changing cals but I usually with until I have 100 to do so not to bad. Yes the Lee hates ball powders that's why I got the Hornaday for that. Once set it will throw the same charge all day. It's what I use to load my Whelen, 25 Epps Newton improved and K Hornet.
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.