AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I have an RCBS turret press and the standard powder measurer. Adjusting the flow and constantly weighing has become annoying.

I’m looking to upgrade to an automated dispenser/scale in increase productivity. Do any of you hard core reloaders have an opinion on the Lyman Gen 6 versus Hornady/RCBS chargemaster?

I have been very happy with the RCBS chargemaster. Thousands of rounds measured and loaded over many years. A friend of mine has two as loading 90+ grains takes a while, so he alternates to speed things up.

I also have the Chargmaster and once you learn just how to use it it works great.

you might find that a thrower and a trickler is faster and more accurate.
the simple redding powder scale with its knives sharpened will weigh to less than i kernel of powder repeatedly if you feel inclined to to cut kernels to suit.
can an electric measure better +/- 1/10 gn?
fclass shooters are now using magnetic resonance scales and very expensive trickling systems from canada, but these will cost thousands of $.
cheaper electric scales WILL wander, and are not that accurate.
bruce.

I have been very happy with the RCBS chargemaster. Thousands of rounds measured and loaded over many years. A friend of mine has two as loading 90+ grains takes a while, so he alternates to speed things up.

Same here.

I have been using the RCBS Chargemaster for a few years. I use it for my rifle loads and for my top end 454 Casull loads. Very happy with it. It may trickle out a fraction more powder than selected, however the readout will show how much was actually thrown and allow you to adjust. And yes, it will measure to 0.1 gn accurately.

Natchez has the Chargemaster on sale for $320 right now. $230 for the Lite. RCBS has an additional rebates of $50, $75 and $100 for sales in August.

I had a Lyman for several years until it died. Bought a Hornady Loc-N-Load which I’ve had for about seven or eight years. I load about a hundred rifle rounds a week with it. It has it’s quirks but in general has performed well.

A friend got the Hornady version last year. It's a mess. Runs way too fast and overcharges too often and too much.

There is a bit of a learning curve with the Chargemaster - as with most things, but no big deal.

I've had a Chargemaster for years and it works. It has it's quirks, tends to go over your intended charge load at times. But I wouldn't go back to the old way. You may want to look up the McDonald's straw trick. Google it. Yes, for real, you'll see.

You may want to look up the McDonald's straw trick. Google it. Yes, for real, you'll see.

There is a guy on EBay that sells a brass reducer that works a little better. Not really necessary unless you are anal and trying to stay inside .04 grains or so. :)

There is a guy on EBay that sells a brass reducer that works a little better. Not really necessary unless you are anal and trying to stay inside .04 grains or so. :)

I wonder who thought to use a straw..

I’ll be happy if the RCBS holds to 1/10 grain. Per reviews it does

I wonder who thought to use a straw..

I’ll be happy if the RCBS holds to 1/10 grain. Per reviews it does

The Chargemaster will tell you when it drops 0.1 or more over target. You do have to notice the screen, however. No biggie, just dump that pan and carry on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross