Austria Hunting Pictures

My faithful companion, the Mannlicher Schoenauer did it agian....

DSC01687.JPG
DSC01700.JPG

Very nice. Missed this thread the first time. I have a little Schoenauer as well and it makes a perfect little whitetail deer rifle. Regrettably, some idiot converted it to 6.5x57 in the past. Though a great caliber, it isn't much better than the 6.5x54MS, and now the little rifle it only feeds two rounds reliably from the magazine.
My spouse and I are going to Austria next year in September, and I'll spend a few days hunting Keiler and Rehwild before we play tourist in Wien. Will be my first opportunity to hunt a Roe since I was stationed in Germany in the late seventies.

That Ischler Stutzen is magnificent.

Red Leg, have you tried round nose bullets? Even the x54 will give feeding problems with spitzer bullets. Finding a 6.5x57 magazine would be the best solution but, I hear they are found right next to the hen's teeth.:(

My spouse and I are going to Austria next year in September, and I'll spend a few days hunting Keiler and Rehwild before we play tourist in Wien. Will be my first opportunity to hunt a Roe since I was stationed in Germany in the late seventies.

That Ischler Stutzen is magnificent.

Salzburg is also a beautyfull town you should visit....I live close to.

We can hunt, an you and your wife can spend some days on a cabin in the mountains.

I can offer reh, red deer and gams.

DSC01656.JPG

HWL

HWL, nice Chamois. I, like you, also have a love affair with the Mannlicher-Schoenauer being blessed with a Carbine and a Rifle, both in .30'06. What is the one you pictured chambered in?
Your country is absolutely beautiful!

Red Leg, have you tried round nose bullets? Even the x54 will give feeding problems with spitzer bullets. Finding a 6.5x57 magazine would be the best solution but, I hear they are found right next to the hen's teeth.:(

Red Legs "Stutzen" looks like an early Model 1903, a 6,5x57 magazine will not fit, because the action is to short.

The only straight way is to rebarrel it to 6,5x54 MS.

The original barrel is gone already.... so nothing is destroyed that isn't anyways.

This is the perfect reason to visit Ferlach, one of the most dangerous places for gun freaks....

They eat credit cards for breakfast....

:sneaky:

HWL

Last edited:
HWL, nice Chamois. I, like you, also have a love affair with the Mannlicher-Schoenauer being blessed with a Carbine and a Rifle, both in .30'06. What is the one you pictured chambered in?
Your country is absolutely beautiful!

Hi Joe...

The one on the pic is a model GK in 6,5x57 with the long 65,0 cm barrel, made in the early 60's

As far a I know, it was a special order back than.

I bought it used and saved it from blast furnance, mounted a 3-9x36 Swaro scope on claw mount. and be happy with it since.

Would like to see pictures from your .30-06 pair....

HWL

Hi HWL, here is my half-stock MCA with a 56 cm barrel:
NOUbPbXl.jpg

and my carbine with I believe a 51 cm barrel:
JNgM823l.jpg

Attachments

• NOUbPbXl.jpg
    NOUbPbXl.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 306
  • JNgM823l.jpg
    JNgM823l.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 292
Always take care when stalkling....a viper (Vipera berus)
38440205_1862232213871229_4242406182016253952_o.jpg

Which is why I prefer cold weather.;)

Nice pics. When I was a teenager, my father was stationed at SHAPE HQ in Belgium, and I managed a mountain climbing trip in Austria. The climbing was fun, the scenery amazing, and I still remember seeing the Chamois and thinking "I need to hunt these sturdy mountain animals." Thanks for sharing.

This thread has given me goosebumps.

My Grandfather came to America about 100 years ago, from a small town south of Insbruck.

The closest I have been, is skiing on Zugspitze in 1977 when I was a young Marine with a 4 day pass. I travelled up by train from Naples. Very memorable trip.

I really ought to plan a hunt to the hills where my ancestors roamed.

Thanks so much for starting this thread! :)

Tim **Arbeiter**

........the old Mannlicher-Schoenauer did it again…..

DSC01770.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01770.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations HWL, beautiful trophy! Careful or you may wear the old girl out.:LOL:

Last edited:
You have to run down hard an old girl for best perforance….´

;)

HWL

vipers in the Alps?

lol A white faced stag!:eek::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg